What Series of Sherlock is Your Favourite?

What is Your Favourite Series So Far?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite series so far?

• Series One
    • Series Two
    • Series Three
    • Tie between Series 1-3
    • Series Four (including the Special)
    • Tie between Series 1-4

I haven't seen this asked, I have seen favourite episodes and favourite scenes, but not favourite series.  If it is already somewhere, I am sorry!  

So what is your favourite Series so far?

They all have so much to offer.

Series One - Our introduction to this awesome new world and characters.  The first time many of us were swept away (or perhaps fell in love :wub:)

Series Two - Great, iconic episodes, character development and general awesomeness

Series Three - Fabulous humour, emotion, and a bit of fandom-dividing controversy (*cough * Mary* cough *)

For me, I have found each Series leaves me wanting more. but I think my favourite is Series 3.  Even though there were missteps (*cough* Mary* cough) I think the show reached a whole new level of fun, humour, depth and character development.

Anyone else think this show just gets more and more fun and amazing?  Or do you prefer the previous seasons and hope future episodes return to an earlier feel??

What are everyone's thoughts?  I'd love to hear them!

I am just so excited for what comes next.  :sherlock:

( I edited the poll to include an option for a tie, just in case someone can't bear to choose.  But come on!  Choose! 

• Like 1

That was really hard and at first I couldn't decide between s1 and s2 but in the end I chose Series 1. It's the beginning of a great friendship and the introduction of Sherlock and John is simply amazing. TGG is one of the best episodes for me (apart from ASiP) and even TBB has its great moments though it's my least favourite episode.

• Like 2

Oh dear. This is even harder than episode ranking :D I hate saying 'tie', because I don't love all the three series the same... they are very different, and I would answer differently depending on which mood I'm in, I guess. But, despite that, I decided to go for series 2. It has my favorite episode (Reichenbach) and I also adore Hounds. Scandal is in many ways a wonderful episode too, though it's among my least favorites.

All in all, series 1 is the only series I have been completely content with, but it's also the least emotionally evocative. Series 3 is the most emotional for me, but also the one I've had most difficulties accepting, due to various issues. Series 2 wins out, because I only have very minor issues with Irene Adler - besides that, I love, love, love it. Each episode is very iconic, and there's a bit of all the best of 'Sherlock'; brilliant dialogue, eccentricity, humor, some sadness, intense drama, and above all great friendship. Sure, the friendship it's more outspoken in s3, but I loved it every bit as much when it was more subtext.

• Like 1

S3 for me, I think, for all the reasons sherlockandjohn mentioned. But I've seen it more often, so that may change as I become more familiar with the other two.

Series One.  I actually remember it being advertised and me thinking that is looked really interesting,  and sitting down to watch that first episode I was just amazed at how cleverly written this series was, it was love at first sight for me, then  it is Series 2, and Series 3 in that order.  My favourite episode is The Reichenbach Fall from S2. 

I think it will always be Season One, as already voiced above, it's the new introduction of an old favorite. The bringing to life a life long hero. I will forever cherish that first meeting between Holmes and Watson. I treasure seasons two and three as well although "HLV" will always be a tear jerkier for me.

• Like 1

Beyond a doubt, series 1. Because: Oh dear, so many reasons.

First of all, the show had all the charm of a fairly unknown project. It wasn't self-conscious yet. There were no expectations to be met, no fame to uphold and I think that comes through somehow.

Then, I love Sherlock the best at his most eccentric, most unsociable, most "sociopathic" and brilliant and this is the series where he is all those things.

Series 1 had the least amount of melodrama and the most subtlety, if you ask me. It also had the smallest cast and no love interest for Sherlock (unless you count Molly - oh, and it also had those wonderful little scenes between Sherlock and Molly where he is completely horrible to her and she just goes "okay" in that tiny voice of hers).

Then, series 1 has the conversation about crying at people's bedsides and what good that might do, it has the "heroes don't exist" quote and, above all, the pool scene. Nothing can ever be quite as chilling and thrilling to me as that pool scene. I am more touched my Sherlock having to bring up his other hand to steady the gun than by his entire wedding speech.

It's harder for me to say whether I like series 2 better than series 3 or vice versa. No idea. Right now, I think, I'd say 3, but 2 has some really awesome scenes and The Reichenbach Fall is still a very special piece of television despite the unsatisfactory conclusion two years later and The Hounds of Baskerville is a great episode too and then there's the lovely Irene Adler, whom I'd seriously consider contacting if I had the money and could persuade her to leave whips and drugs and whatnot at home. And if she weren't basically evil, of course. And entirely fictional. Pity, really...

But then, series 3 has the wedding and the return of Sherlock from the dead, which is a joyous event no matter how sad the details and series 3 has Mary and I can't help liking her and... Oh damn. I really can't decide.

• Like 4

I would say Series 1 -- except that "Reichenbach" isn't in it.  So I can't choose any of the four options.  Could we maybe have more options, the three possible two-way ties?

But ask me again right before Series 4 airs.  I may have a totally different answer by then.

Beyond a doubt, series 1. Because: Oh dear, so many reasons.

First of all, the show had all the charm of a fairly unknown project. It wasn't self-conscious yet. There were no expectations to be met, no fame to uphold and I think that comes through somehow.

Then, I love Sherlock the best at his most eccentric, most unsociable, most "sociopathic" and brilliant and this is the series where he is all those things.

Series 1 had the least amount of melodrama and the most subtlety, if you ask me. It also had the smallest cast and no love interest for Sherlock (unless you count Molly - oh, and it also had those wonderful little scenes between Sherlock and Molly where he is completely horrible to her and she just goes "okay" in that tiny voice of hers).

Excellent points. Especially the one about melodrama. That really was a bit (actually, more than a bit) overdone in series 3. Series 2 had quite a bit of it, too. Series 1 feels more realistic in that respect. And there's a lot of magic to that first episode; the introduction of Sherlock's character and his meeting with John. Funny enough, the whole series starts with John, which is also a touch wonderful, in my opinion. It makes the first introduction to Sherlock all the more amazing, because of the stark contrast to John's character.

• Like 1

... and of course it's canon.  Watson introduces himself first.  (Maybe, as you say, for the contrast -- from Conan Doyle's PoV.)

• Like 1

Nothing can ever be quite as chilling and thrilling to me as that pool scene. I am more touched my Sherlock having to bring up his other hand to steady the gun than by his entire wedding speech.

That goes to show what a little piece of different interpretation can do, as I never even thought of Sherlock having to steady his gun for any other reason than the obvious: It's hard to aim properly with one hand! The whole pool scene, while great, was not among the most moving for me, even before series 3. Sherlock's wedding speech, while moving, only really works on basis of the already established relationship.

Seeing Sherlock's panic whenever John is in danger is always deeply moving (thinking of ASiB and TEH in particular, here. And, of course, HLV, when he fights for his life). John never fails to move me, either, just before, during, and after Sherlock's arrest in TRF.

• Like 1

... I never even thought of Sherlock having to steady his gun for any other reason than the obvious: It's hard to aim properly with one hand!

Me either.  In fact, I've often wondered why John did NOT use both hands for that long-distance perfect-aim-required shot at the cabbie.  It's my impression that in general, people shoot pistols one-handed only in movies and television -- for dramatic effect, of course, which may indeed be why Sherlock started with one hand and then added the other one.

I would say Series 1 -- except that "Reichenbach" isn't in it. So I can't choose any of the four options. Could we maybe have more options, the three possible two-way ties?

But ask me again right before Series 4 airs. I may have a totally different answer by then.

Yes, my answer may change as well, for any reason, at any time.

I'm going with 2. Partly because two of my "current" fave episodes are a part of it (Hounds and Reichenbach) and partly because I thought "it can't keep getting better".

And it did.

• Like 2

Having now actually had the courage to watch the older episodes again (until now, I was pretty hung up on series 3 - silly, I know, I know), I can say again with total confidence, yes, series 1 is the one that works best for me. It has something I fell in love with and the other two lack, but I can't really pin it down.

Maybe series 1 is the most serious. Sure, it has lots of funny bits, but there is none of this tongue-in-cheek winking at the audience stuff that we get in The Empty Hearse, for example. It feels the most like a "regular" crime show, and it seems to be about the crimes / cases rather than the detective, while of course the detective is the most interesting feature (by far).

Or maybe it is that series 1 makes me feel the least silly for taking it seriously. Probably that.

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here.  First of all, although I have two episodes I'm not as keen on, I of course fell in love with the whole show BECAUSE of the pilot.  It was so well written, edited, directed, acted, music - perfection.  

However, the episodes that have the straight forward cases worked from point A to point B are the least interesting to me.  As the show has developed, and as the characters have developed, so have all the other aspects.  That's why I prefer the more convoluted ones, which to me start with "Scandal in Belgravia."  However, there is something completely priceless in every episode.

Sherlock doesn't give as many insults as he used to, but John sure does get some zingers in.  

• Like 1

... although I have two episodes I'm not as keen on, I of course fell in love with the whole show BECAUSE of the pilot.  It was so well written, edited, directed, acted, music - perfection. 

I'm curious -- do you mean the 60-minute unaired pilot?  (In which case, did you somehow see that before you saw any of the 90-minute episodes?)  Or when you say "pilot," are you referring to the first regular episode, the 90-minute version of "Study in Pink"?

... although I have two episodes I'm not as keen on, I of course fell in love with the whole show BECAUSE of the pilot.  It was so well written, edited, directed, acted, music - perfection. 

I'm curious -- do you mean the 60-minute unaired pilot?  (In which case, did you somehow see that before you saw any of the 90-minute episodes?)  Or when you say "pilot," are you referring to the first regular episode, the 90-minute version of "Study in Pink"?

i've only seen bits of the original 60-minute pilot.  Sorry, i tend to call the 1st episode of a show the pilot, which really ASiP is still just a remake of the the original pilot.  Glad they tinkered with his makeup some because he looks REALLY young in the pilot.  Sometimes he still photographs very young.  So it will be nice in about 10 years when he has some more permanent character lines in his face.  I like the age he looks when he gives Molly the 2nd kiss on the cheek.

Wahhh, I loved the idea of a 20-something Sherlock, I wish they'd kept to that. Fits his childish persona better, too. :smile: But I'm an eternal child myself....

But if they had kept to the canon 27 year old we would have gotten Benedict Cumberbatch, now would we have? Him being all of 32 or there abouts at the time?

I read somewhere Sherlock was supposed to be 27 in the unaired pilot, I thought BC pulled it off just fine!

Oh....okay....that makes sense since it is the first meeting and he certainly does look years younger then a man in his early 30's. It works even now, years later.

Sherlock behaves younger than a man in his thirties, that's why I wish they had left him younger. Although if they'd chosen the actor based on Sherlock's behavior, they would've had to hire a first grader...  :D

• Like 1

Although if they'd chosen the actor based on Sherlock's behavior, they would've had to hire a first grader...   :D

:rofl:    Would have had to be a brilliant first grader with a bent for chemistry and forensics....but I can see that.....the Doogie Howard of Baker Street.

• Like 3

But if they had kept to the canon 27 year old we would have gotten Benedict Cumberbatch, now would we have? Him being all of 32 or there abouts at the time?

Cumberbatch is 37 and will be 38 in July.  Personally I still think there are times when he is lit too young and other times when he seems in his 40's.  Wish the look was more consistent.  I like the older look.