Special episode, plus 3 episode series shooting in 2015!

Convict13

So shooting to recommence in Jan 2015, for the special and then later in the year for the usual three more episodes.   

So what do we all think the special is about?  Mrs Watson and the baby?

"We're ready to unleash the most shocking and surprising series of #Sherlock yet. The only thing is to expect is the unexpected... #221back

• Like 2

So it's official. There will be a Special followed by three new episodes.

I would have posted a link but I don't know how to do it on my phone.

• Like 1

I don't know that we  should assume a 1-off Christmas special has anything to do with Christmas other that the time of year they are releasing it.  Hopefully it's longer than Many Happy Returns, but whatever it is, I suspect that it will be a teaser in the way that MHR was.  Then again, one can always hope for a 1.5-2 hr  film.

Actually, it looks like the special could be a full episode... as Gatiss says they are doing FOUR new adventures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sherlock-miss-me

AWESOME! Made my day.

So shooting to recommence in Jan 2015, for the special and then later in the year for the usual three more episodes.   

So what do we all think the special is about?  Mrs Watson and the baby?

I think it will be about something surprising, shocking and unexpected. :P

The shocking part is that new episodes are filming just a little over a year after the last ones aired!  :lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2:

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• Like 6

Dark and shocking... sounds full of promise!  But I've felt they've gotten better as they've gone along.  Really didn't feel they they started to find a groove until TGG.

Yesterday was Canada Day .. the birthday of my home and native land !    canadianflag.gif  

We were expecting a hot and humid afternoon so went for a drive through some of the smaller communities around my city in the morning to see what they were doing for our special day and hunkered down in the darkened living room  for a cool afternoon and watched Sherlock Series 3.  As always, after HLV, I was sad to know that it would be so long until we got to see our lovely curly-haired sleuth and his special pals in any new adventures ... and, SURPRISE !  Look at this great news today ! :wub:   I hope they show it on Masterpiece ... then I might get to see it in a more timely fashion.

Debbie

• Like 2

Oh, I think we can be pretty sure Masterpiece will still show it, it's been a huge hit for them too.

Oh, I think we can be pretty sure Masterpiece will still show it, it's been a huge hit for them too.

It has indeed....and they are advertising it still on their Masterpiece Mystery.

I'm a bit worried about the "shocking" part...  :unsure:

I know I was plenty shocked after His Last Vow. Didn't sleep that night.

You know what? I'm just going to roll with it. If they want to make it darker, bring it on. Series 3 turned out great, even if it did take some getting used to.

Now, of course, my mind won't stop coming up with ideas as to what will happen... Stop it, silly imagination!

• Like 4

Yup, I'm just going to roll with it too. I'm starting to think these two year breaks are almost necessary ... it gives us viewers time to process what we've seen! If we'd gone straight from HLV into a new storyline I would've been so befuddled......

Sfmpco, I hope this is an appropriate thread for me to have moved your post into -- I assume you're talking about the new filming.

Unless you have an "in" with Hartswood, or don't mind lurking outside their studio gates every day, hoping to see prop trucks heading off to nearby filming locations, you might be better off trying to catch filming on North Gower Street (alias Baker Street) in London.  That's the one accessible place where they (so far) always film.

Alex and I are now tentatively planning to be in London "later next year" -- whatever that means.

• Like 1

Well this is definitely a new way of watching a TV series. I really thought they released a new series like every 2 months. Per that's how I got introduced to it via PBS... That stands for Public Broadcast Station over here in the US.

I really love this show, so I'll learn to wait.

I really thought they released a new series like every 2 months. Per that's how I got introduced to it via PBS...

They must have been rerunning Series 1 and 2 in preparation for the premiere of Series 3.  I can see how that could spoil a person!

If it wasn't for the fact that everyone involved in the show has other jobs as well, they might be able to get a "production line" going and crank out a three-episode series every three or four months (which is how long the actual filming takes).  Pre- and post-production could be carried on in the background while other episodes are being filmed, the way it's done for a typical American series.  But goodness knows what that would do to the quality of the show -- the writers certainly wouldn't have the luxury of playing around with ideas.  So it may be fortunate that Sherlock isn't anyone's full-time job.

Thus the wait.

• Like 1

They must have been rerunning Series 1 and 2 in preparation for the premiere of Series 3.  I can see how that could spoil a person!

Yes they were and that's how they snared me, too. Thank goodness.

Yeah. & honestly... This show has a-list actors, brilliant writers & the best cinematography I have ever seen. & I am so grateful they don't use a ton of CGI effects. That cheapens a show to me.

• Like 4

I love how you can viseably see Sherlock maturing season after aeaon.

Now that I think about it... They do look older each season. I mean they would age wrather badly if that's how they look after just 2 months between series.

I should have known. Ever do I see but neglect to observe.

• Like 1

Good point!  Have you seen the unaired pilot (a 60-minute version of "Study in Pink")?  They look even younger in that, but of course it was filmed even earlier.

• Like 1

I hope that this at least means that the Series 4 DVD set will include the 3 episodes plus the Christmas Special.  It was disappointing that they didn't include Many Happy Returns in the Series 3 DVDs.

Also since I don't think that January is a great time to visit the UK, Carol and I will probably try to schedule our next trip there sometime during when the three official Series 4 episodes are being filmed (hopefully summer).

• Like 1

Sfmpco, I hope this is an appropriate thread for me to have moved your post into -- I assume you're talking about the new filming.

Unless you have an "in" with Hartswood, or don't mind lurking outside their studio gates every day, hoping to see prop trucks heading off to nearby filming locations, you might be better off trying to catch filming on North Gower Street (alias Baker Street) in London.  That's the one accessible place where they (so far) always film.

Alex and I are now tentatively planning to be in London "later next year" -- whatever that means.

I will be cycle touring from northern Scotland to southern England next year, possibly leaving for Britain in October 2014.  I'm not looking to hang out on the streets and watch the filming.  Believe me, here in Los Angeles, you bump into something being shot every day.  Was riding my bike to work one day and came across them filming MODERN FAMILY.  Just rode right by. Thankfully they didn't have the street blocked or I would have been really ticked off.  I used to work in the film industry, and I'm pretty uninterested in the mechanics of it anymore.  Been on film shoots, been to film school and have a MFA in film.  But I will go to Cardiff, will ride by the studio and take pics of it, then continue down through Wales towards Lands End.  I might go into London, but that just seems like a cycling nightmare.  Of course, people think Los Angeles is a cycling nightmare too, but I get around without a problem.  I'd rather go by the location when they weren't shooting and enjoy it in peace and quiet.  

I just hope I can hole up some place when the special airs and the series 4 episodes and be able to watch them.  I imagine i will still be somewhere in Britain or Europe touring.  I'll be anxiously awaiting them to be available on Itunes so that I can just download them and study them to pieces as I have done with the 9 existing episodes.

• Like 2