Special episode, plus 3 episode series shooting in 2015!

Convict13

I didn't mean to imply they had been on their honeymoon for a month.  Rather, that it had been a month since he had seen them at the wedding.

I hope I'm wrong too about them shooting late 2015.  As it is, we still have a long wait just for a Christmas episode in 2015.

• Like 1

Amanda Abbington has some things to say about Series 4 - she knows what the story arc is... and one of the words she used is TERRIFYING.

Jdt8DNKl_normal.jpegamanda abbington @CHIMPSINSOCKS · 4h

I must stress that I didn't mean firing a gun was fun, I meant that scene with Ben was fun. Guns are not fun. At all. So I apologise.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Pale text is nearly invisible against the white Mobile or IP.Board background

BC likes to cast a wide net for his opportunities, and I don't see a lot on his slate for feature film work, so he may be staying closer to home, so to speak, once his current project wraps in Boston.  He seems like to be available for a lot of voice work, public readings, and so forth, so perhaps, PERHAPS they could shoot series 4 BEFORE Hamlet, which would be awesome, but it will require a 3-4 month time block.  I guess we'll know more as they get closer to shooting the special.

Of course, EVERYONE involved needs to have that same time block available, so some deduction work is needed on who is doing what and when and find a time when they are all free.  That should provide the answer for when they are shooting.

• Like 1

Of course, the most demands of time are needed by Martin and Ben.  Amanda was able to shoot Mr. Selfridge and Sherlock at the same time.  The other players are fairly minor and will come in for only a few days here and there.

Amanda Abbington has some things to say about Series 4 - she knows what the story arc is... and one of the words she used is TERRIFYING.

Do you mean that she uses the word (quote) "terrifying" -- or that you are terrified by one of the words she uses?  :huh:  Sorry to be so dense!

... PERHAPS they could shoot series 4 BEFORE Hamlet, which would be awesome, but it will require a 3-4 month time block.  I guess we'll know more as they get closer to shooting the special.

Of course, EVERYONE involved needs to have that same time block available, so some deduction work is needed on who is doing what and when and find a time when they are all free.  That should provide the answer for when they are shooting.

Fortunately, it may not be quite as tricky as that. Their 3-or-4 month time span for Series 3 consisted of April, May -- and August. So they're flexible. And they seem to have been creative with getting everyone involved as well. For example, the only new-footage Series 3 scene with Donovan had no other regular characters except Lestrade -- so they didn't need to worry about any additional actors' availability in order to give Donovan some screen time.

Do you mean that she uses the word (quote) "terrifying" -- or that you are terrified by one of the words she uses?  :huh:  Sorry to be so dense!

I believe she was using the word to imply that there would be something terrifying in series 4.

• Like 1

What caught my attention was the phrase "something the audience won't expect". Why do they all think they know what I expect? Especially since after series three, the answer is, absolutely nothing. Or rather, anything.

I suppose what I least expect from Mary is to find out she doesn't love John, after all. That always seemed like the only thing I knew about her for sure. I have no idea how real the rest of her is, but I am pretty certain, from the way they did her character so far, that she truly, deeply, really cares for her husband and loves him. How "noble" that affection is or how selfless or not, that's open to debate, granted, but I do think it's real.

Hmmm, maybe I just feel I need it to be real so I can connect to her at all. I can't get emotionally invested in characters who have nobody they love. That's probably why I never care much for the classic villains.

• Like 2

I think she truly loves John.  If she didn't, she wouldn't have stuck through months of silence from him.  After all, she has the skill set to completely disappear and change her identity if she wants to, but she has chosen to take his months of silence and stick it out.  She loves him and has tried to protect him from her past.  It could be that CAM was getting ready to expose her for whatever reason, and she needed to take CAM out in order to keep protecting John from knowing.

• Like 1

Or she loves being with John (for whatever reason, be it protection or sentiment). That needn't be quite the same as loving him.

I haven't been able to find any information as to how long the one-off will be, yet people here keep saying it's 90 minutes. Anyone got a link to some official info?

I had hoped that the special/one-off would air late summer since it's being filmed in January, but it seems it's going to be at Christmas 2015. So be it. At least we're getting it.

In the realm of "what we least expect", I've been thinking things like

• Johnlock happening
  • Sheriarty happening (perish the thought! Not that I want Johnlock either, but this is definitely worse.)
  • Sherlock or John dying
  • Mary killing John, or vice versa
  • Sherlock killing John, or vice versa - Okay, that idea is just laughable!

But all of the above are not going to happen. No. The only one at all possible of the above scenarios is John killing Mary, and I would hate that! John is too good for that.

So. In the realm of 'not expected', but perhaps not least expected, could be

• Moriarty shot himself in the head, but magically survived, because he didn't hit the spot that killed him... Ehm... :huh: Maybe we need another "surgery" tale to explain this one?
  • Moriarty (or his brother or whoever-else) kills Mary and/or the baby

Well, that's enough (half-)crazy ideas for now.

• Like 1

Or she loves being with John (for whatever reason, be it protection or sentiment). That needn't be quite the same as loving him.

Or just for protection. Granted, she may have feelings for John, but from a rather pragmatic point of view: It was in her best interest to stay around. As long as she kept close to John, she kept close to Sherlock, too, especially while Magnussen is on to her (she did not know he was after Mycroft in the long run). That way, she could always press Mycroft for protection if the worst comes to the worst. She also had the files to bring down other people, too, if she was set up for a fall. There's the baby, too, as leverage.

If she had run, she would have had to give up the leverage she had on Mycroft, and the protection of John and Sherlock. Because she is rather well-situated in London, it is harder to get to her. If she had run, she would have been a faceless victim. Makes it easier for enemies to wrap up her disappearance.

Hmmm, maybe I just feel I need it to be real so I can connect to her at all. I can't get emotionally invested in characters who have nobody they love. That's probably why I never care much for the classic villains.

Me neither, and love isn't generally the only thing they're lacking -- the classic "bad because they're bad" villains never seem to have much of a personality either, and very little depth.  Too cardboardy for my taste.  I greatly prefer a sort of quasi-villain that I call The Honorable Antagonist -- with the perfect example being Severus Snape.

I haven't been able to find any information as to how long the one-off will be, yet people here keep saying it's 90 minutes. Anyone got a link to some official info?

Sue Vertue confirmed the 90-minute length here, followed by Mark Gatiss confirming it here.

There are some cartoon & reality TV vilians I like. They're usually harmless trouble makers... Well not the cartoon ones. They can be quite dangerous actually... But its animation & they usually have some of the funniest lines.

Sue Vertue confirmed the 90-minute length here, followed by Mark Gatiss confirming it here.

The special is 90 minutes.  Mark Gatiss said so on Twitter a few days ago.  Go look at his tweets.

Thank you, guys, for your responses!

Does anyone know how long after any of the series aired before they were available on Itunes for download?  I hope to see #10 when it airs, but then I will not be able to see it again until I download it.

I think we aren't done with Marys past.. She has done SOMETHING related to moriarty, which made her meet John I guess. Yeah, she loves him, or else she wouldn't have cried that way, but she forgave Sherlock WAY to easily and was way to positive when he returned, and there is a reason for that, we just have to find it.

• Like 1

I started watching TSo3 again last nite, and was reminded that her friend Donald was "a shoulder to cry on" on at least 3 separate occasions. So apparently crying is not as foreign to her as some have suggested.

What if Donald's another agent, or ex-agent, or something? Her contact in the intel community. Nah, probably not. Still, it might explain why he had her on speed dial even tho he's the ex......

Or faked ones. She wouldn't be the first nor the last woman to cry to put a male on the defensive or get him to do what she wants.

• Like 1