Special episode, plus 3 episode series shooting in 2015!

Convict13

Good point! Have you seen the unaired pilot (a 60-minute version of "Study in Pink")? They look even younger in that, but of course it was filmed even earlier.

I am so grateful they got a bigger budget, and were asked to make 90mins vs 60... Per the quality is far superior to the pilot. I'm glad they made Sherlock more well dressed and aloof. Also was awesome they were able to include Mycroft earlier on.. I liked that John & his buddy met in park vs busy street. I love the change with Sherlock vs the cabby. I love the change to the opening credits of each episode... Ect., ect., ect..

• Like 2

I hope that this at least means that the Series 4 DVD set will include the 3 episodes plus the Christmas Special.  It was disappointing that they didn't include Many Happy Returns in the Series 3 DVDs.

Also since I don't think that January is a great time to visit the UK, Carol and I will probably try to schedule our next trip there sometime during when the three official Series 4 episodes are being filmed (hopefully summer).

At least Many Happy Returns is available on Youtube as is the wedding video that Sherlock made.  LOL

Yeah. & honestly... This show has a-list actors, brilliant writers & the best cinematography I have ever seen. & I am so grateful they don't use a ton of CGI effects. That cheapens a show to me.

And the best, creative editing too.  

• Like 1

The shocking part is that new episodes are filming just a little over a year after the last ones aired!  :lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2:

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Exactly. Series 3 wasn't half as much of a bummer as I expected from the hints I picked up in advance, so why should 4 turn out much worse. I guess you need to create a bit of hype and expectation if you want to keep people interested over years on end...

Anyway. HURRAY! HURRAY! I knew all I had to do was go off the internet for a few days and something would happen... It's like the thing with the milk pot. :P

Yup, if Mofftiss stick pretty close to canon....sooner or later......Mary makes some kind of exit.

Well, i hope we get a couple more episodes with her at least.  SHERLOCK has been my introduction to Amanda Abbington, and i really like her as an actress.  So i hope i can see some more of her.

• Like 2

It seems that in canon she and John did have a few years together. It seems she died not long before Holmes's return from the "Great Hiatus". 

This is the first thing I have seen Amanda Abbington in and I do like her, a lot.

Oooooh... just thought of another possibility for the one-off special... and it goes along with the above Redbeard thing as far as being something from the childhood of Sherlock... well, maybe teenage years....PLUS it would be a Moriarty thing.  That whole thing in TGG about the sneakers/trainers...  Moriarty was involved with that incident and Sherlock had been trying to work it out back then.  Might be interesting to revisit those times.

One of the producers suggested a "young Sherlock" story and Mofftiss put the monkey wrench to the idea stating that if it didn't have BC and MF then it wasn't going to be done. Could they change their minds? Sure....why not?

I suppose they could do it like in Season Three......but they kind of missed that boat with "TGG"....unless they manage some kind of revisit. An explanation why this thing between Moriarty was so personal and why Moriarty owed Sherlock a fall.

• Like 1

There's no reason why they couldn't have an episode with flashbacks about something in the youth... but not an episode ONLY about the youth.  Well, we have a long time to wait for it.  Gah...  Filming in January.  Will take about 1 month... and then they'll sit on it for the rest of 2015....another gah!!!

I don't know that we should assume a 1-off Christmas special has anything to do with Christmas other that the time of year they are releasing it. Hopefully it's longer than Many Happy Returns, but whatever it is, I suspect that it will be a teaser in the way that MHR was. Then again, one can always hope for a 1.5-2 hr film.

Actually, it looks like the special could be a full episode... as Gatiss says they are doing FOUR new adventures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sherlock-miss-me

Well it has been confirmed by Sue Vertue that the one off will be a 90min episode

https://www.facebook.com/Sherlockology

• Like 3

Well it has been confirmed by Sue Vertue that the one off will be a 90min episode

Oh joy. So basically, either series 4 is in effect 4 episodes long or this will be a 90-min flashback or something like that. Or maybe... Recent events told from a different perspective? Moriarty's, for example? Mary's? Oh dear, it's so much fun to speculate...

Oh joy. So basically, either series 4 is in effect 4 episodes long or this will be a 90-min flashback or something like that. Or maybe... Recent events told from a different perspective? Moriarty's, for example? Mary's? Oh dear, it's so much fun to speculate...

Maybe it's gonna tell us how Sherlock did it!

• Like 1

Well they said something about least expected, didn't they, and most of us have given up hope by now to ever get The Fall explained, so your theory has merit :D.

• Like 1

That's actually a pretty tough question, isn't it: What, in the range of the remotely possible (i.e. no giant tarantulas or such like), is the least expected development at this point? I really can't say...

Depends on where "possible" leaves off and "impossible" begins.  (Kinda like my criticism of Holmes's maxim about eliminating the impossible.)  Maybe it would be easier to list everything we figure is NOT an option, such as :

Sherlock and John come out of the closet.

It was all a dream.

Sherlock and/or John die.

Uhh -- I'm groping here.  Any other not-an-option suggestions?

• Like 1

Depends on where "possible" leaves off and "impossible" begins.  (Kinda like my criticism of Holmes's maxim about eliminating the impossible.)  Maybe it would be easier to list everything we figure is NOT an option, such as :

Sherlock and John come out of the closet.

It was all a dream.

Sherlock and/or John die.

Uhh -- I'm groping here.  Any other not-an-option suggestions?

Hmmm, I guess it is pretty unlikely that either of our boys die permanently, unless the series ends at that point. So I wouldn't put that in the "impossible" section. Improbable, yes. Very much so.

I fervently hope the "dream" option is out, since I so hate plots like that.

As for the closet, well, um, you can't come out of something you've never been in, can you, so that option seems pretty unlikely, too, yes. Especially as it wouldn't even fit the "unexpected" bill, judging by an overview of fan reactions across the world wide web.

Hmmm, more developments that I at least hope are not an option:

- Moriarty turns out to be a really good guy and becomes everybody's best friend

- Sherlock gets married to Janine, retires to Sussex and they raise ten kids

- While Lestrade takes over the detective business single-handedly and the next series is called "Greg, Graham or Gavin?"

• Like 6

- While Lestrade takes over the detective business single-handedly and the next series is called "Greg, Graham or Gavin?"

:rofl:

What's probably in the "impossible" category as well are the more outlandish ships (I'm still not quite over the time someone mentioned Shercroft :wacko:).