Harry Potter + other JK Rowling

I've found some more specifics:

Newt Scamander, the purported author of the book, is the protagonist of the movie.

Even if you've never watched anything besides Sherlock, you'll see two or three familiar faces -- Gemma Chan (Soon Lin Yao from "Blind Banker") and Todd Boyce (agent Neilson from "Scandal in Belgravia"), plus perhaps Lasco Atkins (who had small uncredited roles in "Study in Pink" and "Empty Hearse").

I am looking forward to the film, I am just not sure about Colin Farrell being cast for that....I try to be open for the acting, but I only like him usually in weird roles such as '7 Psychos' or the one where he's in Belgium ( I don't know really the english title, I think it is called 'In Bruge' ?), I can't imagine him as person in a Harry Potter film (he so ruined Miami Vice! ;P), so I hope it's not too terrible ;P ....I hope rather it's like Ryan Reynolds in 'Deadpool'. I didn't like him at all, but as Deadpool very convincing and surprisingly awesome...

Yes, I am sure there will be a novel afterwards, too - I just wonder what the other films will be about - also the beasts, or maybe different themes from the magic world? (I want one with lots of Quidditch games, haha...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am totally crushing on Newt Scamander.  What a great movie and such a lovely character.

Isn't he? I liked him a lot as well. Of course, they cast a very good actor. I liked Jacob and the Goldstein sisters as well and I thought the romance between Queenie and Jacob was just lovely. It was very well done, both characters were basically comic relief yet the movie still managed to treat them with respect.

• Like 2

I am totally crushing on Newt Scamander.  What a great movie and such a lovely character.

Isn't he? I liked him a lot as well. Of course, they cast a very good actor. I liked Jacob and the Goldstein sisters as well and I thought the romance between Queenie and Jacob was just lovely. It was very well done, both characters were basically comic relief yet the movie still managed to treat them with respect.

This is the first thing I've actually seen Eddie Redmayne in.  I have to say, I don't find him very attractive in photos... but if Newt Scamander isn't adorable.... *fans self*

Jacob and Queenie were very cute too.   :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

They've announced who's going to play the young Dumbledore in movie #2 -- namely -- Jude Law??? Here's the official announcement from Pottermore, and two brief interviews with Law (#1 and #2).

Well, I laughed when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman, but ended up loving him in that role. So who knows?

What's wrong with Jude Law for the role? Dumbledore can't have always looked like Gandalf's long lost brother; I can well imagine him having been a handsome young man once.

No problem with his appearance.  In fact, I think he looks not unlike his predecessors (give or take a beard).  It's just that Dumbledore always struck me as a particularly empathetic individual, and I've never seen Jude Law play empathetic.  (Maybe he's capable of it, but I've never seen him do it.)  But of course, Dumbledore may not have been all that empathetic as a young man.

Aberford's (or however that's spelled) painted a picture of Albus as not the most kind person. He seemed to do whatever it took for his own gain.

Aberford's (or however that's spelled) painted a picture of Albus as not the most kind person. He seemed to do whatever it took for his own gain.

But that was when Dumbledore was a kid right? Didn't Dumbledore become more humble after he lost his sister?

Also have any of you read the Cormoran Strike series?

It's a series of detective novels that were written by J.K. Rowling under the pseudonym, Robert Galbraith. There are three books out so far with a fourth one being written atm. There's also a TV series in the works that's going to be released some time later this year.

But that was when Dumbledore was a kid right? Didn't Dumbledore become more humble after he lost his sister?

How old was he at that time?  Jude Law is obviously playing him fairly early in his life.

I am a bit of a fan of Jude Law, so I am pretty sure he could play an empathetic person but I can't at the moment think of any previous role that fits this description. He can certainly play sensitive people convincingly (like Bosie in "Wilde" for example).

Funnily enough, I have never seen him as Watson and don't want to. Martin Freeman is the only Watson for me.

• Like 1

Jude Law's Watson isn't much like any other Watson I've ever seen or read (though he does look like Sidney Paget's illustrations). But I guess he'd have to be different, since his Holmes is also pretty atypical.

I've seen him play sensitive too (e.g., in Breaking and Entering), but sensitive isn't necessarily empathetic. I've only seen him in three roles, though, so I've presumably missed a good bit of his range.

I think Dumbledore was meant to be a bit of an @rsehole as a teenager and young man but Jude Law is in his forties, I think he's meant to be a bit more decent by then. Of course he did raise Harry just to sacrifice him so he still had a pretty ruthless streak - I think he hoped Harry would survive but he didn't know. I'd always thought it was weird Harry wasn't getting any special training since he was apparently the only one capable of killing Voldie. 

Good point about the sacrificial lamb. But I thought Harry did get some special training -- didn't he have some private lessons, e.g., with Snape?