Why is Nobody Ever in the Live Chat?

I've gone into the chatroom now and then but nobody ever goes in it as far as I know. Any reason why?

Moderator Comment:

Added later:  Sherlock Forum's chat function has been disabled due to lack of interest.

I don't think there are enough people on this forum at any one time to make that feasible.  Perhaps if the moderators wanted to have a schedule of times for people to meet up, then it wouldn't be so random.  Still, there aren't many of us on here at one time.  Sometimes only one of us.

That about sums it up!

We didn't used to have the chat room, and some members kept saying how much they'd like to have one, so Tim finally added the software for it.  Unfortunately, as you said, there aren't generally a large number of people on the forum at any given time (since we have members in a whole lot of time zones), and most of them are on a thread or using the Messenger -- which leaves the chat room pretty empty most of the time.

The software does work, however -- Martina and I arranged to meet there once, and it worked fine.  So if y'all want to agree on a schedule for yourselves, you can do that right here in this thread.  I suggest that each of you who are interested just post the days and times (GMT) that you'd generally be available, and hopefully there will be enough overlap to allow some actual chatting!

• Like 2

I added the chat software ahead of series 3 hoping that the inevitable increase in numbers would result in more people being on the forum concurrently, and thus chat would become more feasible. Sadly, it didn't play out that way. However, seeing as the chat software currently doesn't cost us any more in software licensing charges it will be here to stay.

As Carol said, members should feel free to arrange to meet in chat, but should bear in mind that we can only currently support 5 users at a time without paying extra.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you just happened to find someone actually in the chat room, Ruthy, you (and they) are doing far better than any of the rest of us!

Seriously, if you enjoy online chats, your best bet is probably to make an appointment with one or more other people (up to five total).

Moderator Comment:

Added later:  Sherlock Forum's chat function has been disabled due to lack of interest.