Benedict in a Romantic Comedy with....

I recently read an article where BC is quoted as saying he would love to do a romantic comedy. I thought... Yes that could work. Then I thought

Edited by jesskayding

Oh I hope not!  Not her!  Or any other Hollywood type really.  I would love to see him in a romantic comedy but would prefer it with someone as classy as he is.  I happen to like Downton Abbey and I think it would be charming to see him with Michelle Dockery.  Someone who can match him for class and sophistication.   Would love to see them both let loose and go against type in something funny.  

• Like 3

Hmmm... that's an interesting question. That's actually one of the many things my brain likes to do when I'm unable to sleep or am on a long train or car ride: Cast imaginary films.

Hmmm. I've never thought about a romcom with Mr Cumberbatch, though. Might be a good move, type-casting wise, who knows.

If such a film were ever made, I hope it'd be witty and intelligent, with a bit of depth hidden away under the laughter. And not too much sentimentality.

God, for some reason, Judy Dench just popped up in my head. The age gap would be quite a challenge, but still. The idea has some appeal...

Rebecca Hall was a very good pairing (the actress who played Mr Tietjen's wife in Parades End). That has worked before, recasting the same couple in a different story. Why not.

• Like 1

Well, Benedict Cumberbatch seems to have chemistry with just about everyone.  I think it is his intensity behind the eyes or something, that just seem to sear into whoever he is looking at...making sparks fly.   And  I don't think age would be a barrier to that at all.  So bring on Judi Dench lol. 

• Like 2

Oh I hope not! Not her! Or any other Hollywood type really. I would love to see him in a romantic comedy but would prefer it with someone as classy as he is. I happen to like Downton Abbey and I think it would be charming to see him with Michelle Dockery. Someone who can match him for class and sophistication. Would love to see them both let loose and go against type in something funny.

I guess in my mind I was imagining something way laid back... Like he'd be like a painter or in a rock band & falls in love with a nurse or a convenient store cashier. Like something way outside of his comfort zone.

Hmmm... that's an interesting question. That's actually one of the many things my brain likes to do when I'm unable to sleep or am on a long train or car ride: Cast imaginary films.

Hmmm. I've never thought about a romcom with Mr Cumberbatch, though. Might be a good move, type-casting wise, who knows.

If such a film were ever made, I hope it'd be witty and intelligent, with a bit of depth hidden away under the laughter. And not too much sentimentality.

God, for some reason, Judy Dench just popped up in my head. The age gap would be quite a challenge, but still. The idea has some appeal...

Rebecca Hall was a very good pairing (the actress who played Mr Tietjen's wife in Parades End). That has worked before, recasting the same couple in a different story. Why not.

Judy Dench is older right? If so that's the trend now. Were called cougars here in the US.

I just heard the term "cougar" for the first time today!  I guess when something that's been unusual starts happening more often, then people want a word for it.

So what's the word for an older man and a younger woman -- "normal"?

• Like 1

Judy Dench is such a marvelous actor.....would love to see her and BC together...maybe not as a romantic interest but still seeing them interact might be a nice treat.

• Like 1

Bakerstreet... I say bring on the older woman younger man action.

Ok so the second person I thought of... Kiera Nightly? (Don't know how to spell her name & don't feel like googling.)

She's so cute and personable. I think she could really encourage that laid back suttleness that Cumberbatch would need to achieve for a romcom set in the year 2016/17. In some really posh coffee shop.. I say shoot it in Pittsburgh PA ( would have a scene on top of Mount Washington over looking the city.), or Seattle on top of the space needle...

• Like 1

I'm not good at thinking up names of actors/actresses but boy would I like to see BC in some sort of comedy, romantic or otherwise. Something goofy but charming.

• Like 1

I just heard the term "cougar" for the first time today!  I guess when something that's been unusual starts happening more often, then people want a word for it.

Manther.

• Like 2

BC could totally do a romantic comedy.  Just hope there are some decent scripts out there in that genre, because that's one of the hardest types to write.  

Right now he's pretty much got any door open for him that he wants, but it seems he likes to also leave his options open to doing smaller projects, lots of voice over work, commercials and theater.  I'm sure, however, that he is getting all sorts of script genres thrown at him.  But even if he likes something, that doesn't mean it will get done.  Sometimes all the elements just can't be pulled together.  It's all business and schedules and financing.  But I think there's enough natural goofiness in him to do a successful romantic comedy.

• Like 1

Isn't Judy playing Queen Margaret in Richard III, the one that Ben is in, apparently Ben popped the question to her during the Hay Festival and she said yes!   Cheers all around. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/benedict-cumberbatch-pops-question-to-judi-dench-would-you-be-in-richard-iii-with-me-9477287.html

As for who would be a good as a romantic comedy lead with him,   I quite like Audrey Tautou, and at 37 perfect age.  

Edit because I also think Sophie Marceau would be excellent.

Well it is Bastille Day. 

• Like 2

I just heard the term "cougar" for the first time today! I guess when something that's been unusual starts happening more often, then people want a word for it.

Manther.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud... On the bus to work!

BC could totally do a romantic comedy. Just hope there are some decent scripts out there in that genre, because that's one of the hardest types to write.

Right now he's pretty much got any door open for him that he wants, but it seems he likes to also leave his options open to doing smaller projects, lots of voice over work, commercials and theater. I'm sure, however, that he is getting all sorts of script genres thrown at him. But even if he likes something, that doesn't mean it will get done. Sometimes all the elements just can't be pulled together. It's all business and schedules and financing. But I think there's enough natural goofiness in him to do a successful romantic comedy.

You know as I was reading your post... BC'S Work ethic reminds me of Samuel L Jackson here in the US.

****that wes a big ole tangent... I welcome the eyerolls****

I think it would have to be a really well written comedy but with sad parts in as well. He could be a character retracing his roots and lost loves etc. I am trying to think of some really good actresses for him to act with.............but my mind's gone blank!!!

• Like 1

I don't really care about who'd co-star with him (as long as it's somebody who's a good actor and not too fussed over by tabloids), but someone in this hypothetical romantic comedy should say "You just touched my manboob. Don't do that ever again."

And also, "It's hard to run when you need to take a dump!"

And a scene where they play that What am I game and someone asks, "Do you smoke me?"

Manther.

Thanks, Martina -- shoulda known I could count on you!

The two terms don't seem to be entirely parallel, though -- according to the examples given, a "manther" needs to be far older than his female interests (often several times their age) -- whereas the definition of "cougar" specifies an age difference of a mere eight years or more.

• Like 1

Dunno, eight years of age difference strikes me as, like you said, "normal". I've only heard the term cougar used with twenty years' worth of difference and similar. But since I'm no native speaker, take that with a grain of salt.

Yes, I would imagine that most people's sense of an unusual age difference would begin somewhere around "old enough to be his mother" or "old enough to be her father."

I suspect that the reason a lot of people feel that sort of thing is inappropriate is that they are relatively young people, thinking how bizarre it would be for them to be romantically attracted to someone that much younger than they are.  Well of course when you're thirty, you're not likely to fall for a ten-year-old kid!  But that twenty-year age difference is far less significant when a sixty-year-old marries a forty-year-old.  They're both mature adults.

• Like 1

I was on the bus with a coworker. She saw me intently looking @ posts I follow. Asked what I was doing( she may join or @ least check out the forum).. Anyway told her about BC Romcom fantasy. She began to rattle off a plethora of actors. My favs were Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock.

Later I thought it would be pretty interesting to see he & the woman who plays Sally Donovan in that roll. I think here name is Vinette Robinson?

Sally Donovan is played by Vinette Robinson, yes.

Speaking of Sherlock women, we should have the woman, Lara Pulver, play opposite Cumberbatch. Wouldn't that be a treat!

Jesskayding mentioned Keira Knightley. I think that could work, she's got some class. In general, though, I'd prefer someone less 'hollywood'.

I also loved his interaction with the woman who plays Sylvia in Parade's End.

• Like 1

I love Hollywood actors. Hay... BC is becoming quite Hollywood himself. Been on a lot of red carpets over here. Also I looooooove Romantic Comedies. They're my favorite. Oh here comes more Hollywood.

Drew Barrymore!