Benedict in a Romantic Comedy with....

Okay. I've tried to just quote a portion of someone else's post, but not able to figure out partial quoting. I still don't understand how to multi quote yet. I blame learning on Macs... My cat could use a Mac. PC's you kind of have to figure things out... So I'm not prepared for the real world of technology.

Let's see, I did a how-to on MultiQuoting -- here it is.

As for partial quoting, that seems to change every time the forum software is upgraded.  Right now, you can sometimes simply Quote the post, then delete what you don't want.  If that messes up, try hitting the Edit-toolbar's Undo button once or twice -- that sometimes helps.  Deleting a character at a time (i.e., repeatedly hitting the Delete or Backspace button) sometimes works better than a block delete.

But if not --

What works by far the best for me is to toggle into plain-vanilla edit mode (by clicking the "light switch" at the upper left of the Edit toolbar).  In addition to the text, that shows you all the BBCode -- but don't worry, you don't have to understand all of it, just how to recognize the beginning and end of a BBCode pair.  It'll always be of the form

[function] ... bunchastuff ... [/function]

... where "function" might actually be quote or spoiler or b (for boldface) or any number of other things.  Once you know how to recognize a BBCode pair, you're all set.  There are two rules:

1.  You can delete as much (or as little) as you like, as long as you stay completely between the two halves of a BBCode pair.  So you can take out, for example, all of the post you're quoting except for the part you're specifically wanting to address.  Just be sure to leave the "quote" BBCode pair alone.

2.  If you want, you can delete any BBCode pair, as long as you delete both halves of it AND everything between them.  So if you're quoting Mary, but her post quotes Sue, you can delete Sue's entire quote, if what you're quoting from Mary makes sense without it.

Then when you're done deleting, just click the "light switch" again to toggle back into full-Edit mode.

That's the quick-and-dirty version.  If you'd like something more detailed and/or with examples, just let me know.

And there's another quick method you can use (especially helpful when quoting one sentence of a long and convoluted post):  simply use your browser's Copy function to grab what you want to quote, paste it into your post, highlight it, and click the Quote button (the cartoon dialog balloon) in the bottom row of the Edit toolbar.  Unfortunately, that method gives no indication of who said it, or when, though, so I try to use it only when that's blatantly obvious.

There are variations on that method as well (for example, how to make it indicate that you're quoting a certain magazine, or quoting a person who doesn't belong to the forum), which I'd also be glad to explain if anyone's interested.

Funny thing is, some of those smileys display for me and some don't. Like this:

post-575-0-28342300-1405550712.jpg

However, the ones that don't have a Unicode number in the box (01F62F and so on), which makes me think that this is a collation problem. Is there a technical problem with using the forum emoticons, Jess? Those are visible for everyone and can be typed in (like : ) only without the space) if you can't access them on the mobile otherwise.

• Like 1

BC in a romantic comedy with ........... emoticons!

• Like 2

That's a good point, Martina.  Now that we've determined I'm not the only one who has trouble seeing the phone's emoticons, Jess could simply use the forum smileys -- though as I recall, they aren't available on the Mobile skin, for either reading or writing.  But, as you say, the codes can be typed in (they're usually just a single word enclosed in colons).

Tell ya what -- I've been meaning to make up a list of the colon-smiley-colon codes for times when the automated smileys are kinda slow for me.  So I think I'll actually do that, and then create a thread for it, so more can be added any time more smileys are added to the forum.

I'm thinking three columns:

1.  The colon code (i.e., the way you can type it in)

2.  The actual smiley (i.e., the way it looks) -- in case someone like me wants to reference the list

3.  A verbal description of the smiley for Mobile reference (e.g.: basic yellow smiley face, winking yellow face, etc.)

Would anyone find that useful?

Ok.. This is sounding complicated. Is there a way to attach emoticons to the post bar. Better yet I'll just stop using emoticons. It would be really nice if I could get this page to be more compatible with my phone.

BC in a romantic comedy with ........... emoticons!

Arcadia that was funny. Back to romcoms. Ok we could go the opposite way & think about an actress that Benedict could help to be taken seriously as an actress. I'm a fan of when a pop star can act as well.....

Benedict AND

Rhiana!

Ok.. This is sounding complicated. Is there a way to attach emoticons to the post bar. Better yet I'll just stop using emoticons.

Like I said before, Jess, I've been thinking of making a list for myself anyhow, so it wouldn't be much extra work to post it on the forum. Tell you what, I'll start the thread with some basic smileys. You can use the codes or not, whatever's easier for you.

I can't answer your question about attaching to the post bar because I'm not sure what you mean. But presumably someone else can tell you.

• Like 1

Ok... Maybe we wean him into a romantic comedy with like a beatnic film. A film that has no premise. It almost has a feel of a documentary. It just is.. Y'all know what I'm talking about... Maybe even something similar to the Royal Tenenbums.(spelling?)

Hay Arcadia posted this in the Sherlock musical thread awhile back. This is the artical that I was talking about where he was said to want to do a romantic comedy. :mellow:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/standard.aspx?slug=2013-12-12%2Fbenedict-cumberbatch-id-like-to-do-a-musical

I did? Yay me! :D I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Poor guy, he sounds like he'd rather be anywhere than in that interview ....

Oh, to me he just sounds subdued, like he's not enjoying being asked the same questions for the hundredth time. Or just tired.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...