You know your "Sherlock" obsession is bad when...

14 hours ago, J.P. said:

I always knew Mycroft liked cross dressing, just like Uncle Rudi. :D

Quite possibly.  (At least I don't think Sherlock would be surprised, judging by his reply to John's question, "Are we here to see the Queen?")

The subtitles spell the name as "Rudi," but the script (assuming it's the genuine article) spells it as "Rudy," which is presumably the usual spelling in England.

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Can we call him Uncle R? I never seem to get this right 😕

Don't worry, they're pronounced the same anyhow.  I just need to stop fussing about it!

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Oh, I've never seen the Queen reference this way. 😳

How do you interpret it?  Are you familiar with the slang use of "queen" to mean a gay man?

No, it was just that Mycroft thinks of himself as being very important. Secondly being a drama queen, at least from Sherlock's POV (but honestly, it's hard to say who of them is a bigger DQ)

The gay man interpretation was used by a "Mycroft-is-gay" fraction, but makes not much sense in that situation IMO. I mean in the show's universe, not in the mess we did out of it. :D

• Haha 1

BTW - it fits here and in the Side Effects as well - I still chat with the Cloak of Levitation on Twitter. Recently I wondered who is behind the account, but then I decided I didn't want to spoil the magic. blush2.gif

Aaaand… your obsession is bad when you see this smilie balloon.gif and think of Sherlock.

• Like 2

One more, because I don't know where to put it: I'm listening to this audiobook read by BC and I don't hear Sherlock, as much as I am unable to see BC in Sherlock's pictures. I think that Sherlock, among all BC's roles, has a very special voice, deeper than usual, and maybe it's a special accent, but as a foreigner I'm not able to put a finger (or ear) on the second.

I agree, although I'm not sure what it is either. A certain preciseness in his speech, perhaps.

• 1 month later...

I assume Mycroft.  Who else could get him to keep records?  Or more probably, collect the necessary information for him, through umm channels.

But how do British taxes work, anyhow?  Does everyone have to keep records and fill out annual tax forms like we do?  What about self-employed people?

• Haha 2

Sherlock is definitely self-employed. But he really doens't seem like the type to do any book keeping. I suppose John did that while they lived together because it seems like they shared finances to a degree (at least I hope so, after all, John and his blog boosted Sherlock's income), but before and after that time? Yeah, Mycroft is the most likely answer but I doubt Sherlock wants him to.

And even for Mycroft, I bet the job is really tedious and impossible. Many clients probably don't want to leave any track record about consulting Sherlock Holmes in the first place (delicate matters and all that), so they probably pay cash or via some kind of dubious intermediary services.

Maybe he isn't even aware of taxes. He probably filed them under "boring" and deleted them.

Yes, I am crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I simply don't think he earns...so why would he have to do taxes?

But John says "this is your livelyhood, Sherlock". So he must have some kind of income. I don't think he refuses every attempt at payment, just when it's people like Sebastian.

But Sally tells John that Sherlock doesn't do it for the money...

I always felt he lived on an 'allowance' from Daddy and Mummy.

11 minutes ago, besleybean said:

But Sally tells John that Sherlock doesn't do it for the money...

I always felt he lived on an 'allowance' from Daddy and Mummy.

Or an inheritance or a trust fund.

Not doing something for the money doesn't mean you don't get paid though. Only that the pay is not your primary motivation. Sally might have meant that.

• Like 1

Yeah ,I'm trying to remember how she says it.

I think she does actually say:  he doesn't get paid, you know.

Yes, she says it.

I suspect Sherlock believes money just happens - like the morning tea. :)

As for Mycroft - he delegates someone to do this - it's legwork.

Or Sherlock knows a tax consultant whom he helped to put some shelves up. (is this a sentence in English?)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

Yeah ,I'm trying to remember how she says it.

I think she does actually say:  he doesn't get paid, you know.

I thought she meant the police doesn't pay him anything. He just invites himself to their crime scenes. But his regular clients might be a different matter. 

Just now, T.o.b.y said:

I thought she meant the police doesn't pay him anything. He just invites himself to their crime scenes. But his regular clients might be a different matter. 

Yeah, that's how I've been interpreting it.  Sebastian did give him a sizeable retainer, after all (even if John had to accept it on his behalf), and apparently an even bigger check at the end.

Not to say he doesn't have a trust fund too, though.  I doubt that your average PI dresses like Sherlock and routinely takes those fancy black cabs.

• Like 1

Your syntax was perfectly idiomatic, though not "correct" according to the purists.  In other words, you said it the way that most native speakers would say it when they're not in English class.

3 hours ago, J.P. said:

Or Sherlock knows a tax consultant whom he helped to put some shelves up. (is this a sentence in English?)

But if you were in English class, a more standard construction would be "Sherlock knows a tax consultant, whom he helped to put up some shelves." Or as my creative writing teacher would probably have us do it: "Sherlock knows a tax consultant. He once helped the man put up some shelves." :D 

I once did a pretty thorough search for the sexual meaning of "put up shelves," and the evidence was pretty thin. In fact, I could find only one citation. So I'm skeptical that it's really a "thing."

On the other hand, that little smirk on Sherlock's face when he says that line does make it look like he's making an inside joke... gah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I once did a pretty thorough search for the sexual meaning of "put up shelves," and the evidence was pretty thin. In fact, I could find only one citation. So I'm skeptical that it's really a "thing."

It seems to be a reference to a scene in an episode of Three's Company (the American version of A Man About the House).  I believe someone posted a clip somewhere around here. Will see if I can find it.

• Like 1

Found a clip on YouTube, but apparently not the one I'd seen before -- the audio is so faint as to be nearly inaudible.

But as I recall, the gist if it was that Mr. Roper said something to Jack like "sometimes my wife wants me to uhhh," and Jack (realizing that he means sex) helps him out by suggesting "put up shelves?"  Mr. Roper gratefully adopts the term, and goes on to say that he may not put up as many shelves as he used to, but boy when he was younger, he could sure put up shelves!

Anyhow, yeah, I think it's a thing, and has been since long before Sherlock ever aired.

Oh, and meant to say, I doubt that Sherlock meant it that way, can't imagine him discussing his sex life with Molly.  I suspect he meant it literally, but smiled because he was aware it could also be a euphemism.

• Thanks 1