You know your "Sherlock" obsession is bad when...

Of course we have hijacked the thread! I did my rewatch and posted about it and I am fairly certain I couldn't do an American accent to save my life! The got-gotten thing was drilled into us at a very tender age! Even when Dad used to read the Perry Mason novels to me, he never attempted a fake American accent, and he had grown up with friendly British soldiers in a base they had outside Bremen, where he acquired a taste for Marmite and HP sauce, because to them he was just a lonely boy. :patpatpat:

You know your Sherlock obsession is bad when you start considering investing in a pair of the Le Corbusier chairs, although they are rather expensive...

• Like 3

... I did inherit the local accent, at least partially (you automatically imitate people around you), but am notoriously taken for a French, or Dutch, or Scandinavian, but never for what I actually am - at least I have something about me that's intriguing :P

You are eclectic!

But I doubt that I could always tell an American from an Englishman.

That can occasionally be difficult, especially if the American is from the posher parts of Boston.

BTW, is Andrew Scott's "Irish drawl" mentioned somewhere recently, what I just hear as nasal and a bit like having a cold?

Me too. I think he'd fit in just fine around here. People would probably think he was from up near Chicago or something.

BTW2: we have hijacked the thread again. thrun.gif

How could we? We're obsessing about Moriarty's accent!

• Like 4

I can't really hear Moriarty's accent very well, either because I've heard his voice a lot, or because he always talks softly. Either way, it's very titillating. :naughty:

• Like 1

You know you are Sherlock obsessed when you "accidentally" ( :whistle: ) :hijacked: with some discussion that is distantly related to Sherlock because it deals with the fandom in some way, shape, or form.

• Like 1

...when everything ties back to Sherlock in your mind. Literally everything. It's like being very much in love where everything reminds you of the object of your crush and you can't stop thinking about them.

For example: Because I saw a play based on it the other day, I became interested in the story of two teenagers who murdered a kid for the heck of it in the 1920s. Allegedly, they were inspired by the writings of Nietzsche, especially his "Übermensch" idea, which they seem to have interpreted as meaning that they could consider themselves outside the law or ethics or common human decency because they were both exceptionally intelligent (I suppose they really were geniuses in a way - one of the boys I read spoke 15 languages) and so were "superhuman".

Now, I have no clue whether these murderers got Nietzsche right (I know nothing about philosophy and if I read one of his books, I bet I wouldn't be able to make head or tail or it), but I remember sitting in the theater thinking, oh - that's the matter with Moriarty, he's been reading too much Nietzsche as well, what with his talk of "ordinary" and "not ordinary" and acting like he can do as he likes simply because he belongs in the latter category.

So Moriarty, it turns out, isn't a psychopath so much as a philosopher. Huh. To a degree, Sherlock seems to be of the same opinion. He certainly holds himself above the law and doesn't seem too bothered by common norms or morality. Hm. Now I'm feeling uncomfortable about liking him so much and glorifying him and being so okay with the murder of Magnussen.

Gah! I went out to have a good time and be distracted from my life for a few hours, and it led to me lying ill in bed questioning my tastes in fictional characters and worrying that I might be a bad person.

Sometimes, having an active brain is not an advantage. Is there an off-switch? Can't I just go back to blissful ignorance about all this stuff?

• Like 7

... Gah! I went out to have a good time and be distracted from my life for a few hours, and it led to me lying ill in bed questioning my tastes in fictional characters and worrying that I might be a bad person....

Sounds to me like you're looking at it wrong way round.  You're lying in bed ill, so your mind tends toward negative interpretations of everything.

Take care of yourself.  Things will look far brighter when you're feeling better.  Promise!

• Like 2

Dear TOBY,

Yep! (Consider the p popped) that was the whole Nietzsche thing in a nutshell, and I use one of his precepts every day of my life, namely Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich staerker, ( what does not kill me makes me stronger). But it is nothing new in crime fiction, as Georges Simenon used it in one of his very first Maigret novels, Le Pendu de St Pholien, where he very appositively follows one of the perpetrators to Bremen Hauptbahnhof ( and I have such bitter-sweet memories of the place!)

And anyway, the ACD Sherlock was not amoral, like Moriarty.

Get well soon! :hugz:

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you're looking at it wrong way round.  You're lying in bed ill, so your mind tends toward negative interpretations of everything.

Take care of yourself.  Things will look far brighter when you're feeling better.  Promise!

Awww, thanks Carol!

I think the "problem" is that it's been a long, long time that my brain has had the opportunity to go off on its own. I am rarely ill and I usually work so much that usually I'm either working or relaxing after work. But now... Body is just lying there, so brain is roaming free and the result is weird at times.

At least Sherlock doesn't just go blowing up houses and abducting children for sport. He's not Moriarty and he didn't justify shooting Magnussen with being "extraordinary" or ("superhuman"), but with being a "sociopath", so he does acknowledge that killing is not an acceptable act, really.

Upside is, I now finally have a clue to understanding Moriarty! He always seemed rather cartoonish and unbelievable to me, but when I found out about these real people who just went ahead and killed an innocent boy because they were bored and felt superior, wow. Maybe Moriarty isn't as unrealistic as I thought.

The world is an awfully dark place. I think I'll pull the covers over my head a little further and go look at nice pictures of Sherlock looking out over London.

• Like 3

... when you hear the music in this video over the speakers in Bed, Bath and Beyond and you wonder... why am I thinking of Sherlock????  And then... OH!!

• Like 2

You read someone's CV with last name Moffat and your brain instantly supplied Steven. That CV belongs to a woman.

• Like 3

You read someone's CV with last name Moffat and your brain instantly supplied Steven. That CV belongs to a woman.

I had a supervisor give me a customer's fax once because the customer and I had the same first initial and last name.  The customer was a female but she was not a Jenn, Jenny, or Jennifer.

• Like 1

I had a supervisor give me a customer's fax once because the customer and I had the same first initial and last name. The customer was a female but she was not a Jenn, Jenny, or Jennifer.
Is she a Josephine? :D

Speaking about same initials, there are two characters who couldn't be more different from each other who possessed exactly same initials. Molly Hooper and Mycroft Holmes. Imagine when they text-ted and use the initial, the only way to discern who is on the other side is by the messages' content. lol

• Like 4

I had a supervisor give me a customer's fax once because the customer and I had the same first initial and last name. The customer was a female but she was not a Jenn, Jenny, or Jennifer.
Is she a Josephine? :D

Speaking about same initials, there are two characters who couldn't be more different from each other who possessed exactly same initials. Molly Hooper and Mycroft Holmes. Imagine when they text-ted and use the initial, the only way to discern who is on the other side is by the messages' content. lol

I don't remember her name beyond I know it wasn't Josephine either.  Might have been Jan.

I've also thought about Molly & Mycroft having the same initials and the potential confusion of not paying attention to the wording of the communication.

ooh...Now I have another idea for a Sherlock Fan Fic.  Sherlock obsession is running high. :)

• Like 3

Your statement about fanfic make me imagining things; Sherlock was exchanging messages with Mycroft. He get angry then typed a furious retort when the next MH messages came. Oops... it is Molly. Time for some damage control, Sherlock. lol

Edit: another one, Martha Hudson.

• Like 5

WHen you are given a role in a play, that is normally played by men, and it's a detective sort of guy, and you immediatly go "I need to make this into a female sherlock!"

• Like 2

I had a supervisor give me a customer's fax once because the customer and I had the same first initial and last name.

I was driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood and realized I'd taken a wrong turn, so I pulled into a random driveway just to turn around. I happened to glance at the mailbox, and the name on it was the same as mine (two initials and not-very-common surname). Cue Twilight Zone music!

My father-in-law and brother-in-law have the same nickname and last name, so Alex and I are in exactly that position whenever we get an email from one of them -- either read the content or check the email address. 

WHen you are given a role in a play, that is normally played by men, and it's a detective sort of guy, and you immediatly go "I need to make this into a female sherlock!"

Welcome back, Joanhs! It's nice to see you posting again.

• Like 1

When you've come up with a great title and summary for a one-shot only to get stuck on how it will actually be written even though you know what's going to happen.  It's got to model Sherlock's craziness somehow.

Can I quote some Sherlock insult at myself now?  Maybe this: "What’s it like inside your funny little brains? It must be so boring." Or: "Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing." from ASIP.  Even though neither applies exactly as it is far from boring or relaxing how my brain works.  Annoying might better describe my brain some days.  Maybe John's line from TRF applies better: "Well, nobody could fake being such an annoying dick all the time." ??? Although it might not be quite that annoying. :)

(yes I realize this could almost work in the Shoot the Wall thread but, you know...)

• Like 1

In the last case, your son would be your best critic ^_^

Yes he would, but he wouldn't dare say that line in a context as actually applying to me even if there were times he thought it did.

• Like 1

When you're watching two 2 year olds and one of them is humming something that reminds you of Moriarty's nursery rhyme bit in the HLV mind palace.

• Like 1