Joanhs

You know your "Sherlock" obsession is bad when...

I know the video you mean, and I took it to be Jack having fun with Mr. Roper by suggesting a phrase that actually meant nothing at all, knowing Mr. Roper was too dumb to know the difference and would assume it meant sex. But it's actually meaningless, is how I read the scene. Could be wrong.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought the phrase was already a thing before Three's Company.  I don't think it was.  I assume that in that scene, "putting up shelves" was meant to be just a random innocuous phrase, and I assume that's why Jack chose it, and why Mr. Roper was so comfortable using it.  But since it was so obvious (to Jack and to us) what Roper really meant, that scene was the birth of the euphemism.  At least that's my assumption.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. So Sherlock may have known all that (how popular was "Three's Company" in Britain?) Which rather makes my mind reel … and that was a Gatiss episode, wasn't it? It strikes me as his kind of humor..... :D 

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. So Sherlock may have known all that (how popular was "Three's Company" in Britain?) Which rather makes my mind reel … and that was a Gatiss episode, wasn't it? It strikes me as his kind of humor..... :D 

Plus he's apparently something of an American-television buff.  (He likes Leave it to Beaver.)

Also, since Three's Company was based on a British show, there may have been more than the average interest in it over there, which could explain Molly's reaction.  According to Ariane DeVere, she giggles, and Sherlock's smile is apparently a reaction to that.

6 minutes ago, besleybean said:

What's Leave it to the Beaver about?

It's a circa-1960 show about a little boy (nicknamed "The Beaver," presumably on account of his rather prominent front teeth) and his family, his school, etc.  As Mr. Gatiss accurately noted, it's very sweet (though, I hasten to add, not in a cloying sort of way).  It's pretty realistic too, which I always appreciated.

Aw...

When I was at primary school, we played a game where I was a pet, talking beaver.

Presumably inspired by my name...

Unless we saw that show over here?!

• Haha 1

I dunno, Bev.  It may have been broadcast there, which could explain how MG saw it -- though nowadays there are multiple other ways to watch foreign TV shows.

But yeah, could have been your name.  (Which was definitely not the case on the show, since the boy's real name was Theodore.)

Yeah, just with Mark and I being similar ages and from the same TV area!

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

According to Ariane DeVere, she giggles, and Sherlock's smile is apparently a reaction to that.

Is it? I've never noticed that, I'll have to watch. But I don't remember her giggling.

Yeah, it's like the shared moments with the railway enthusiast!

On 11/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, T.o.b.y said:

... When you find yourself wondering (at work, too) who does Sherlock's taxes.

Late to the party but I just can't see Sherlock wasting time with VAT.

I imagine he has an accountant.

• Haha 2

Hey, that's my filing system! I see nothing wrong with it.... :D