"Get Your Wife Under Control."

When Sherlock says this, John nor Mary even bats an eye. If a man said this here in the US, he would most likely regret it, unless he was in Morman or Amish country.

Is this how the English role?

Oh. Okay like a little homage to the Victorian age. Ok I can buy that more than Sherlocks immaturity. Per men used to & still do in some parts think like that. & since it was played off so normal... I was like, what hayyyyyy. :o

• Like 1

Oh we know that Sherlock is a people person by any stretch. But his choice of words and it's delivery sounded very "old world" to me. Very archaic.

• Like 1

The backward wording rubbed me the wrong way as well, but I don't think it was meant as a dig against Mary's gender, more like John being the go-to guy for her. Like Sherlock would tell Lestrade to shut Anderson up, since he's the Yard go-to guy, if that comparison makes any sense. Not in any ranking sense but simply because John and Lestrade were the folks he would talk to first in any critical situation.

• Like 3

Ok... I can see that as well. So he didn't mean it in a way as male dominance, but more of I'm trying to think here. You deal with Mary she's talking nonsense. Kind of like in SIP when Sherlock let's Lestrade know Anderson's face was putting him off, so Lestrade commands... "Anderson your back." (Anderson complains)..Lestrade "Your back NOW!!"

• Like 2

... I don't think it was meant as a dig against Mary's gender, more like John being the go-to guy for her. Like Sherlock would tell Lestrade to shut Anderson up, since he's the Yard go-to guy, if that comparison makes any sense. Not in any ranking sense but simply because John and Lestrade were the folks he would talk to first in any critical situation.

Thank you -- that makes perfect sense, and now I don't want to slap Sherlock quite so much for that line!

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to slap Sherlock? (If you're not John, that is). I would much prefer to give him a hug. I feel like he needs one most times. And I don't even like hugs myself. :lol:

Slap him becaus he's telling husbands to control their wives! But now since I chose to agree with Cayas point of view, not feeling the desire to slap him anymore.

He also wanted tomeone to move Mrs. Hudsons wine away from her, he obviously doesn't like to talk directly to people..

• Like 1

I don't take it too seriously when Sherlock says those words, but they kind of make me sad... John used to get Sherlock 'under control', but now Sherlock is telling him to get his wife under control. Another example of the 'end of an era' theme. Of course, John turns it around and does, once more, get Sherlock under control :D

Btw, I know John doesn't really control Sherlock; that is a much exaggerated expression for what John does. It's more like him giving a verbal slap whenever Sherlock is misbehaving.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I just thought he was being rude because he was rattled. A lot of people do that. What really struck me was the way he apologized to her...

• Like 3

I didn't get upset about that outrageous little comment of Sherlock's at all. I love it, it's so Sherlock, and besides, it's just as I would have expected him to think about John's wife, as if she were some kind of luxury item John insisted on keeping and that was making noise.

I just have a thing for the "sociopath" act, and it's becoming more and more rare. I have to treasure the moments I get...

• Like 2

I have to admit, I just thought he was being rude because he was rattled. A lot of people do that. What really struck me was the way he apologized to her...

That does say quite a lot about his regard for her, doesn't it?

That does say quite a lot about his regard for her, doesn't it?

I thought so. I quite love their relationship in this episode, actually, they're so easy around each other. I enjoy seeing that kind of dynamic for a change, usually between male and female characters it's all friction and/or tension.
  • Like 3

Yeah the kiss on the forehead... " in all fairness he's a drama queen too" okay I can see the respect he has for in that scene, as well as acknowledging she was correct in the situation. :mellow:

• Like 1