Why does "Blind Banker" bother some people?

jesskayding

I rewatch The Blind Banker. In fact, I've found I like it better now than formerly, because once I got to know the plot, my attention shifted from the case and the silly Chinese circus gangsters to the character work, and I still hugely enjoy how Sherlock and John interact in this episode, and what happens when Sarah joins them. I also like the dynamic between Sherlock and DI Dimmuck (I bet I spelled his name wrong again, but am too lazy to look it up).

I rewatch all of the episodes, including this one. Now that I've grown accustomed to the plot holes, I can more or less ignore most of them most of the time. And I really like Sarah, and the way she interacts with the guys -- though I would have appreciated seeing just a little more of her romance with John.

Actually, I think it's spelled Dimmock -- but your spelling seems more appropriate for a guy who's as dim-witted as muck!

I'm still hoping the script writer will return for series 4.

Me too -- and I assume he will.

• 3 weeks later...

TBB is my least favourite episode. I still like it just fine, but in ranking its last. I just find it more boring than the other episodes. I like certain elements, like the interaction with Sherlock's former school mate, but overall it doesn't thrill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Same here.  There are certain elements I like but overall I find it boring.  It mainly gets watched when I'm doing a Sherlock Marathon.

• Like 3

It mainly gets watched when I'm doing a Sherlock Marathon.

Is there any other way to watch Sherlock?  :D

It mainly gets watched when I'm doing a Sherlock Marathon.

Is there any other way to watch Sherlock? :D

When you have the time, of course it's the only way. I need 3.5 hr windows other wise so I can watch certain episodes back to back.

• Like 1

Guess I'm the odd one out here. Much as I would LOVE to do a marathon, finding time even to see one episode without interruption is really hard. And I hate to watch one in snippets! I need a Sherlock vacation! Just go to a nice hotel BY MYSELF and binge on back to back episodes for a week. Yeah, that'd be cool. :blink:

• Like 5

We don't actually chain-watch all the episodes over a weekend -- our idea of a "marathon" is to watch nothing but Sherlock till we've seen 'em all.  (And sometimes we include the audio commentaries and other DVD extras.)  Depending on how much time we're devoting to television (typically an hour or so per day), that could take a few weeks.

I've been working my way through the series again since before Christmas. I had some free time today and decided to watch Scandal. Fell asleep during the morgue scene. :rolleyes:

I've been working my way through the series again since before Christmas. I had some free time today and decided to watch Scandal. Fell asleep during the morgue scene. :rolleyes:

Tsk, tsk and you call yourself a Sherlock fan ;)

Hopefully the nap was restful and rejuvenating.

Tsk, tsk and you call yourself a Sherlock fan ;)

Hopefully the nap was restful and rejuvenating.

I know, I know, I'm completely mortified! :lol:

Yeah, I guess I needed it, in my own defense :smile: that's the first time I've fallen asleep on Sherlock. Not so other shows!

• Like 1

The last time I had a night to myself, I fell asleep during Scandal.  I found it very soothing.

Then I woke up at about 1am wondering what the heck is wrong with me that I find that particular episode soothing.   :blink:

• Like 4

The last time I had a night to myself, I fell asleep during Scandal.  I found it very soothing.

Then I woke up at about 1am wondering what the heck is wrong with me that I find that particular episode soothing.   :blink:

It's quiet!! :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For me, I like all Sherlock episodes because even TBB is better compared to other crap telly.

However, unlike the other 8, I don't find it very rewatchable especially the part featuring Shan.

She wears sunglass in the tunnel! It's unimportant nitpick but it really bothers me to the point that her character is unbelievable and more ridiculous than comic book villain.

Seems like I'm in the minority as well because I can't stand Sarah. Thought she was okay and even kind of bad ass in the beginning when she helped whacking the villain, but then it went downhill with her whimpering at the end.

I know, it's not everyday your first date put you at the end of killing machine, it's alright to whimper but it's too long, too much, stop it!

Maybe I'm bad person because I like how Sherlock treats her with blatant honesty "cut that crap" when she suggest dinner indirectly and self-invite? She is also prying too much, it would annoy me endlessly if my flatmate's date asking too many questions and invading personal space the way she does.

So glad she is not Mary, because I like Mary a lot in TEH and TSoT, even HLV before Leinster Garden.

But thats just me.

I can list many many things I like about TBB other than above, don't even care about the plot hole.

Actually very curious with how John and Sherlock come to agreement about working together, especially the money part.

JOHN: Sherlock, you think euh.. I can work with you, together..solving cases? Detective stuff?

SHERLOCK: (In his mind palace, sorting 127 types of snowflakes)

JOHN: I am quite alright with any kind of money arrangement though, just something to pay my share of the flat.

SHERLOCK: Hu-uh. Monkey gland.

JOHN: Monkey what?

SHERLOCK: I need to go to Bart. Where is my riding crop?

Sorry, it's boring afternoon here and I'm frustated bcs not able to watch Sherlock.

• Like 4

:rofl: Sorting 127 types of snowflakes....

I just watch TBB recently, and it confirmed what I already suspected ... it slows down and becomes boring any time John and/or Sherlock are not the main character in the scene. Otherwise it's an absolutely lovely episode. I suspect that's why Hounds is not one of my favorites either; although I rather like his oddness, I get restless during the Henry Knight scenes.

I guess John and Sherlock are just so darn interesting that I don't want to waste time with anyone else... :D

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Nope.  It's in the Series 1 subforum.  Has been all along.  :whistle:

I must have inhaled the substance from Dartmoor's fog..

Or did you put sugar in my coffee? :lol:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

TBB is pretty low on my list as well, and one of the things that wasn't clear to me was the scene at Soo Lin's flat when Sherlock is strangled by the previous intruder. Why did they let each other go just like that? Sherlock, if I remember correctly, wasn't even putting up much of a fight. Though I liked his hoarse, coughing explanation to John afterwards.

• Like 1

The intruder thought he had successfully strangled Sherlock because Sherlock stopped struggling do to lack of air. Since he believed Sherlock to be dead, there was no point in staying around.

TBB is pretty low on my list as well, and one of the things that wasn't clear to me was the scene at Soo Lin's flat when Sherlock is strangled by the previous intruder. Why did they let each other go just like that? Sherlock, if I remember correctly, wasn't even putting up much of a fight. Though I liked his hoarse, coughing explanation to John afterwards.

The intruder thought he had successfully strangled Sherlock because Sherlock stopped struggling do to lack of air. Since he believed Sherlock to be dead, there was no point in staying around.

One of many things concerning the killer that makes no sense! :D If he thought Sherlock was dead, he was definitely seeing but not observing, since it was clear to the audience that Sherlock wasn't dead ... yet. If the killer had just strangled him a little longer ..... Anyway, I agree that's what we're supposed to believe -- the strangler was so stupid he thought he'd actually finished the job. :rolleyes:

It's a weird episode, it has so many hoary old cliches like that in it ... almost as if they were trying to recreate the atmosphere of one of the less-well-regarded old Holmes films.....

• Like 2

Maybe the first intruder was just trying to get away.  He heard Sherlock coming, so he hid, then realized that Sherlock knew he was there and was looking for him, so he decided to attack rather than wait to be found.  Once Sherlock collapsed, he decided to get the hell out of there.  There was really no point in killing him, anyway.

Oh, and that reminds me of one more thing that bugs me about this episode: Sherlock wondering why the first intruder hadn't closed the window when he left.  I realize that he lives a slightly alternative universe -- but are housebreakers there actually thoughtful enough to close the window on their way out?  In my (thankfully limited) experience they don't bother.

• Like 1

So you think the intruder there may not have been the same person who killed Van Koon, Soo-Lin and what's-his-name? I didn't really consider that, but perhaps it makes more sense that way.

There was really no point in killing any of them! :D

• Like 1

One of many things concerning the killer that makes no sense! :D If he thought Sherlock was dead, he was definitely seeing but not observing, since it was clear to the audience that Sherlock wasn't dead ... yet. If the killer had just strangled him a little longer ..... Anyway, I agree that's what we're supposed to believe -- the strangler was so stupid he thought he'd actually finished the job. :rolleyes:

Maybe the first intruder was just trying to get away.  He heard Sherlock coming, so he hid, then realized that Sherlock knew he was there and was looking for him, so he decided to attack rather than wait to be found.  Once Sherlock collapsed, he decided to get the hell out of there.  There was really no point in killing him, anyway.

Oh, and that reminds me of one more thing that bugs me about this episode: Sherlock wondering why the first intruder hadn't closed the window when he left.  I realize that he lives a slightly alternative universe -- but are housebreakers there actually thoughtful enough to close the window on their way out?  In my (thankfully limited) experience they don't bother.

Don't have enough time to check, so sorry if I got it wrong, this is based on water-logged memory:

Regarding why the intruder didn't kill Sherlock: I thought they purposely didn't want to kill him.

In her unbearable moment of speech in tunnel XD, General Shan told John something along this line,"Why do you think when a killer doesn't shoot straight? It tells you that he doesn't really try."

It was kind of established (regardless how absurd it is to the plot) that Shan wanted Sherlock to 'help' her find the missing jade. Sherlock was almost choked to death when John forcefully squeezed his face inside the mail slot and shouted,"I am Sherlock Holmes. Nobody can compete with my massive intellect!" So I guess at this point, the intruder decided to let go so that they can use Sherlock's brain. Shan must be aware of Sherlock reputation because of the connection with Moriarty.

Of course they should kill Sherlock since they mistaken him as 'not Sherlock'. But maybe they thought this frantic guy is kind of hardworking sniffer who might be the muscle and useful for John (as Sherlock).

Regarding the opened window.

I guess because according to Sherlock, closing the window will make it a much better locked room mystery. Little detail that help the intruder to create less readable crime scene?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I do like 'The blind banker', but it falls into a lot of the crime drama clichés like the murderer being the brother and the opening scene having the person scream.

I do love the ending though.

I liked Soo-Lin, but I thought the villain at the end was so clichéd! I'm no expert on Chinese culture, but she seemed so stereotypical for a villain that it might potentially be culturally offensive. On the other hand, I liked the portrayal of Soo Lin, which seemed more respectful.

The pacing seemed really off for me in the episode, it made me doubt that their idea was big enough for the 90 minutes, possibly it was more suited to a one-hour format.

There were a lot of good things about the episode though, and I especially liked Sarah.