jesskayding

Why does "Blind Banker" bother some people?

I think I'm a Took. I like to stay at home -- except when I feel like traveling!

Oh, I like to travel, but the "back again" part is very important. I love coming home. Learning that "home" is where the heart (the family) is and not necessarily a place has been hard for me. So I plan to hold on to the family tooth and nail and get very upset when they tell us we need to be more "flexible". Sorry, I didn't get married to be flexible about my home life. We were long distance for years and he still has an insane commute to work. Then the ultra conservatives come and tell me it's my fault for daring to want an education and a job too, totally ignoring that most people nowadays just cannot afford to raise children on only one income - heck, some can't even support themselves on that. Besides, what if my husband loses his job or becomes unable to work? Shouldn't I, you know, be able to fulfill the marriage promise and take care of him?

It infuriates me how women are still told their careers are a selfish luxury. Yeah, I feel so indulged dragging my ass out of bed at the crack of dawn to go work overtime so I can fulfill my responsibility to myself and my family and contribute to society a bit. Right.

Not that I think being a homemaker is bad (for either / any gender). If you can afford it, good for you! Just for most of us, that's not the reality we live in.

Whew, sorry, what a rant. Wrong thread. It's election time around here and all the political babble is getting to me. I honestly don't know who to vote for, it seems like one half of the candidates is telling me to sever all ties and become a perfectly disposable slave to the workforce (i.e. tax generator) and the other half is telling me to stay home and do dishes. Oh, and also shut up. And the only party that seriously addresses my main concerns like for example the cost of living skyrocketing while incomes remain more or less stable is a bunch of loonies.

Soooo... Ahem. Back to Sherlock. I understand why The Blind Banker bothers some people and why the Chinese stereotypes are considered offensive but I still like the episode because it's very Doyle-ish and I for one just really like Soo Lin.

• Like 1

Yeah, what is it with politics these days? The loonies seem to be everywhere. I was just reading some more about the white supremacists in Charlottesville, VA. Now that is racism. Scary people, it's quite disheartening to see them crawl out from under the woodwork. But maybe getting them out into the light is a good thing, in its way; too easy to believe they don't really exist, otherwise. *sigh* 

• Like 1

One thing I find reassuring is that the blatant white supremacists I am personally acquainted with are thoroughly disagreeable people in general -- the "it's all about me" type that has no consideration for anyone else, regardless of color.  There's one living on each side of us, and nobody else in the neighborhood can stand either of them, even though many of the other neighbors are what a lot of city folks would think of as "rednecks."

• Like 1