Emoticon ("Smiley") Suggestions

Yeah.  And they're probably just passing for human anyhow -- wait till you see what they really look like!

Talking about smileys, is there a panel dedicated to them? I'm using a tablet and I can't find it.

I don't have a tablet, so all I can tell you is what I see on my laptop --

When you click the Smiley button in the editor toolbar, you get a row of Smileys (down at the bottom of the editor box) to choose from (and you can scroll sideways for more choices).  Just below that row, it says "Show All."  If you click on that, you'll get a pop-up window with all the Smileys (again, on multiple pages).  It sometimes seems that not all the Smileys show up in the bottom row, but I believe they are all present in the pop-up.

How about a lightbulb Smiley -- for when we get a bright idea?  104.gif  I found this one here (a really cool site!), and am astonished to see that it actually seems to work on this forum!  (It works best on a dark background, by the way -- the "rays" don't show up well against white.)

When you click the Smiley button in the editor toolbar, you get a row of Smileys (down at the bottom of the editor box) to choose from (and you can scroll sideways for more choices). Just below that row, it says "Show All." If you click on that, you'll get a pop-up window with all the Smileys (again, on multiple pages). It sometimes seems that not all the Smileys show up in the bottom row, but I believe they are all present in the pop-up.

Uhhh........ nope.

When you click the Smiley button in the editor toolbar, you get a row of Smileys (down at the bottom of the editor box) to choose from (and you can scroll sideways for more choices). Just below that row, it says "Show All." If you click on that, you'll get a pop-up window with all the Smileys (again, on multiple pages). It sometimes seems that not all the Smileys show up in the bottom row, but I believe they are all present in the pop-up.

Uhhh........ nope.

The toolbar in the editor has some known issues on mobile platforms such as iOS and Android, so Invision have taken the precaution of disabling it on these devices with a view to fixing the glitches in a future upgrade.

So the only way to add emoticons to a post on phones and tablets currently is to type them in longhand.

: )

; )

: sherlock:

(Removing the spaces from those above will give you :);) and :sherlock: respectively)

• Like 2

These are just a few of the 130 or so we have installed at the moment:

: )  :)
; )  ;)
:l ol:  :lol:
: D  :D
: (  :(
: angry:  :angry:
: mellow:  :mellow:
: huh:  :huh:
^ _^  ^_^
: o  :o
B )  B)
: rolleyes:  :rolleyes:
- _-  -_-
: wub:  :wub:
: unsure:  :unsure:
: wacko:  :wacko:
: blink:  :blink:
: sherlock:  :sherlock:
: sherlock2:  :sherlock2:
: brett:  :brett:
: watson:  :watson:
: lestrade:  :lestrade:
: hudson:  :hudson:
: molly:  :molly:
: picard:  :picard:

(As with the previous post please remove all spaces from the emoticons when typing them, or else they won't work)

• Like 2

Uhhh........ nope.

The toolbar in the editor has some known issues on mobile platforms such as iOS and Android, so Invision have taken the precaution of disabling it on these devices with a view to fixing the glitches in a future upgrade.

So the only way to add emoticons to a post on phones and tablets currently is to type them in longhand.

: )

; )

: sherlock:

(Removing the spaces from those above will give you :);) and :sherlock: respectively)

I have Android. That explains it. Thanks. :)

Ask and you shall receive!  :brett: bb code: : brett: (Once again minus the space)

• Like 2

I have made what I hope is a better Picard facepalm pic.

:picard2:

What do people think, is the facepalm clear enough?

Er, I think it was clearer as a facepalm in the original version. Though this one is prettier overall.

Btw, George Takei did a nice Star Trek Facepalm compilation via Twitter last year, titled "No one did the Facepalm better than we did on Star Trek":

UCBmAnt.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with Martina, the original Picard facepalm is better as an emotie.  :picard:   I think with something that small, those black edges really clarify what we're seeing, whereas although this one :picard2: is a more naturalistic picture, it's not quite as obvious-at-a-glance what it is.  Also, it's a bit bigger, which I personally consider a minus with smileys.  Sorry!  :(

I believe there are a few other suggestions further back in this thread.  If you haven't already seen them, Tim, you might want to have a look.

Ask and you shall receive! :brett: bb code: : brett: (Once again minus the space)

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :D:D I love it - thank you! :wub::wub::wub:
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

:moftiss: ..... meaning = total exasperation ...... gif of me banging head on wall

I couldn't gif you banging your head because I don't know what you look like, but here's your Moftiss suggestion, created:

attachicon.gifmofftiss.png KILL ALL THE LOVABLE CHARACTERS

I SUPER Love!!!

• 4 months later...

Blanket might be a bit hard to do -- meaning, a bit hard to make it obvious that it's supposed to be a blanket.  Can anyone post either a prototype or a verbal description of how one might be done?  (It'd have to be orange, of course!)

I love that goldfish bowl!!!  :applause:

As for Moftiss, I've been using this one:  :naughty:   But yeah, it'd be nice to have a dedicated Moftiss emotie that clearly depicts the double-headed nature of the beast.

I cranked my display down to teeny-tiny, to make those pictures the size they'd need to be for emoties, and I thought the first one looked the most like a blanket at that scale.  Another option might be to show Sherlock (or a yellow smiley!) wearing the blanket.  Guess this all kinda depends on how the emotie might be used.