The School Shenanigans Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so here's one of my latest school shenanigans:

First day at school. Balloons were at every class' doors. I stabbed every one of them with my pencil (shiny and new!) and inhaled the helium until I had a super squeaky voice. Pretending to be British had never been funner.

• Like 2

I have a work shenanigan. Myself & female bartender started a conversation about the perils of being full chested & how we hang our nicer bras to dry. Then we both bonded over the fact that when one our less voluptuous girlfriends come over during this bra drying time, our bras become dress up for them, because they're so amazed by the size of the cups.

We were in mixed company, kind of got lost in the conversation, didn't consider that it was a bit inappropriate till after.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Highschool (19 years ago) I was a band geek through and through (played French horn for 11 years including marching band & pep band for 3 years). As a marching band, we would do car wash fundraisers.  One year my band director checked in on our location (we usually had 3 or 4 different spots in the school district) wearing a white shirt.  She was a band geek & knows the rules of marching band pranks, was even in a drum & bugle corp.  Needless to say, the nice upper classman that I was (and how we liked to pick on our directors) I showed the underclassman a good prank, I took the garden hose and sprayed her with water quite nicely.

One of the best pranks I heard about came after my older brother graduated high school.  He was a nerd through and through.  1 day in calculus they had a sub so it was study hall for an hour.  1 of his classmates decides to take a nap on the floor.  My seemingly nice goody-two-shoes puts one of the desk/chair hybrids on top of the student and ties that student's shoe laces to the tiny part where the foot meets the leg of the desk.  When the student woke up he did not believe anyone (student or sub) that my brother had done the prank.  The only reason why I even heard about it is that the student ended up working with one of my uncles, who told my grandmother, who then brought it up when my brother was home from college.

• Like 2

Then there are the college (the school is now a university bit wasn't when I was there) band pranks...we liked our director there to.

Freshman year: E. L. Fudged his car, forked his lawn, turned all of his pictures upside down, turned the sofa that was in the master bedroom around so that you had to climb over it to sit on it (and all of that was in December shortly before Christmas with snow on the ground).

The surprise of the starter pistol for one of our concert pieces.  The music called for it, we didn't have one & at dress rehearsal one showed up that the band knew about & he didn't until he heard it go off.

Sophomore year: we added Mony, Mony to the concert list without telling him, while on tour in Canada

The best non-prank came senior year: we were on tour in Spain and playing Toccata and Fugue at an outdoor venue.  That piece is loud and dark at the beginning.  We scared the birds that were in the area.  Several students, instruments, stands, music (& probably concert attenders) got something they weren't bargaining for & somehow I missed getting any of it on me.

Just yesterday I'd forgotten my school ID. Now, we all know how schools blow everything out of proportion with all the zero tolerance stuff, right? Apparently, I found out the hard way that no ID = eating last. Only thing is, eating last when there's about 150 kids before you gives you the grand total of three minutes to eat.

How much can a person with braces eat in three minutes, without getting their braces studded with food? Not much, I'll say.

So guess what? I (peacefully) protested by laying down on my table until they let me eat.

Just yesterday I'd forgotten my school ID. Now, we all know how schools blow everything out of proportion with all the zero tolerance stuff, right? Apparently, I found out the hard way that no ID = eating last. Only thing is, eating last when there's about 150 kids before you gives you the grand total of three minutes to eat.

How much can a person with braces eat in three minutes, without getting their braces studded with food? Not much, I'll say.

So guess what? I (peacefully) protested by laying down on my table until they let me eat.

God, what kind of school do you go to? We didn't even have school IDs when I was a teen (do we now, in this country? I'll have to ask someone).

One of the school occurrences I remember the most vividly is what I call the "spider day". My school was in a rural area, and in the fall, there were gazillions of spiders on the premises. Big, fat, cross spiders. Their webs were everywhere.

Now, I have arachnophobia. It's getting better, but when I was a kid, it was so bad that I usually couldn't even be in the same room as a spider without freaking out.

Cross spiders are rather lazy, drowsy, web spiders, so they are easy to catch. And the boys in my class caught them a lot. They put them in girls' hair, and in our bags and pockets and wherever else they thought funny. I had avoided spider contact so far, because I had managed to keep my fear of the creatures a secret, and there were other females who screamed louder and oftener and so provided more fun. But one day, I came in from recess, and there was this huge spider sitting on my book on my desk. I was almost the last person in, so most of my classmates were already seated and everybody was looking at me. That in itself would have been enough to make my hyperventilate, normally. And now there was this monster.

Now, I knew that if anybody caught on to how terrified I was of it, I'd have arachnids flung literally in my face for the rest of my adolescence, and I'd be driven to change schools or something. So I took a deep breath. I picked up the book wordlessly, carried it all the way over to the window, thinking "don't move, don't move, don't move", opened the window and flung the damn creature out.

I never had to confront another spider. And I am sorry to say, that was the bravest thing I ever did in my life...

• Like 2

Oh god no! Spiders are disgusting! :o I'm so sorry for you, even though that was a long while ago. I actually had a really traumatic experience with spiders myself -- but I was so embarrassed about my insane fear of spiders (Dad kept teasing me. He always killed spiders and put the body in a napkin to chase me with it.) that eventually I made up my mind to get the phobia out of me by myself. No therapists. No professional help.

It didn't work. But I'm still trying. :cry:

I was issued a school ID in high school but we never used it for anything.  It may depend on the school districts as larger districts in heavily populated areas might require the use for "safety"

Oh god no! Spiders are disgusting! :o I'm so sorry for you, even though that was a long while ago. I actually had a really traumatic experience with spiders myself -- but I was so embarrassed about my insane fear of spiders (Dad kept teasing me. He always killed spiders and put the body in a napkin to chase me with it.) that eventually I made up my mind to get the phobia out of me by myself. No therapists. No professional help.

It didn't work. But I'm still trying. :cry:

I can only kill certain sizes of spiders (or bug in general).  And that is usually with a shoe or other object where by I don't have to feel it.  Depending on how big the big is, someone else will have to pick it up to take care of it.  I barely handle a dead mouse in a trap (oven mitts and tongs used for a grill with the whole trap going in the garbage).

• 3 months later...

It used to be a tradition at my school; new sysadmin who usually also computer class teacher will get pranked sooner or later. Being still innocents that time, we only break in and either leave a message in the system or messing a little with the set up policy. Needless to say that teachers (often young because it is a programming class) who cannot fend us off will find the students hard to manage.

• Like 1

We (i.e., the class nerds) did some similar things back in pre-computer days.  We'd sneak into empty classrooms at lunchtime and write "clever" and/or "intellectual" sayings on the blackboard.

We were a riot and a half, I tell ya!  :D

• Like 1

Yep, we did that too. One time my friend and I skipped a wrestling match and were doing just that; a passing teacher popped her head in and questioned us suspiciously. We explained we weren't interested in wrestling ... she stood there and read some of the oh-so-very-literary quotes we'd written, smiled, and left. Oh, we were real rabble-rousers in our day!!! :p

School i.d.?  What's that?

school ID (n.)

Roughly translated from the language of Absolute BS, "school ID" can be likened to the phrase "Mark of the Beast," as demonstrated by a Texas student here.

• Like 2

When I was in school, we didn't need no stinking badges -- the teachers knew all of us by sight.  Nowadays, people seem to think that bigger schools are more efficient, and that technology can make up for what's lost in the human factor.

When I was in school, we didn't need no stinking badges -- the teachers knew all of us by sight. 

*Sigh*... so did mine. I'd have hated a huge anonymous school. My teachers didn't just know my name, they knew me. They had a pretty good idea of my personality, and they cared about my future. I remember art classes where, while working on our sculptures, we discussed our career plans with our art teacher. She predicted way back then what I would eventually become, and now, over ten years later, it's come true. That woman knew a few things...

Art class is one of the few things I miss about school. I sucked at drawing and painting, but sculpture was fun, and the atmosphere was always great, no matter what we were doing. I wish I had someone now to sit down with me and coach me, tell me how to hold a brush, help me observe things, point out details... There was very little bullying in her class as well. She knew how to handle aggression, both open and indirect.

I remember one time when one of the boys was being a real menace. He could not keep still, kept picking fights with his neighbors and harassing people. She watched him for a few minutes, then told him she needed his help. She needed to show us a few things about statues. So she stood him up in front of her, put a big heavy book on his head and challenged him to keep it there while she changed his posture. She was nice about it. Didn't ridicule him or anything, but he had to focus and really concentrate on balancing that thing while she demonstrated how human figures changed from ancient Egypt to Rome. He was a handsome, hunky guy, and from that day on, he was known as her Adonis.

• Like 1

I miss art class as well.  Haven't had a hands on art class in 23 years (not counting the art appreciation class in college where I learned about artwork instead of creating it).  And my career: painter, acrylic on canvas.  Go figure.

I wanted to take Art in high school, and I signed up for it my freshman year -- but apparently not enough other kids agreed with me (or maybe the teacher was too busy teaching the little kids), because the class was cancelled.  So I haven't had any formal art classes (other than -- years later -- one on how to make things from stained glass) since I was 13 years old.

• 1 month later...

My first entry here is somewhat funny but this one is less humorous. Last year at senior high school, we used to bring science & math books to PE class. Every time we get time out it will become something like study session with those books. Think about 20 students with the best scores in classes and the underachievers spotted by tests gathered in one place. One day the PE teacher finally have enough and confronted us. He asked which one is more important, PE or science. Guess what is our answer. In retrospect, we could be more diplomatic about it but since he asked such thing to a bunch of students with miles-wide competitive streak and no love to sweat-generating physical activities....

• Like 3

I think my next school shenanigan will be creating a giant fist, middle finger extended, out of reed and paper, because my art teacher says I shouldn't draw animals so much and draw other things. Only thing is, I can't draw people very well, and drawing inanimate objects always bores me, so animals are my default art subjects. Thus, giant middle finger.  <_<

:O Can you draw dogs in play too? If yes, please please please do it with a border collie, a German shepherd, a Siberian husky and a beagle *puppy-dog face*

• Like 2

I think my next school shenanigan will be creating a giant fist, middle finger extended, out of reed and paper, because my art teacher says I shouldn't draw animals so much and draw other things. Only thing is, I can't draw people very well, and drawing inanimate objects always bores me, so animals are my default art subjects. Thus, giant middle finger.  <_<

1) It takes practice to draw people better.  I'm rubbish at it and the few pics you've posted are better than mine even if they are more cartoon like.  2) If you want to disguise the finger swearing, you could always do what looks like the victory/peace V but it would actually be the British flicking V.

• 5 weeks later...

Junior high, electronics class. Students create custom PCB for their weekly assignments. After each session, the etching solution often coloured murky yellowish-green brown with strong copper scent. We used to sneak out some then snipe fellow students with small, handheld watergun. Dangerous chemicals in the hands of mischievous students. "It is alright, it only sting a little". Of course it sting with dermal contact, we used acid solution!

• Like 1