Benedict Cumberbatch in "Hamlet"

sfmpco

Okay, well as of today, if not by this moment, Hamlet may be completely sold out for it's 3-month run.

Luckily...

I got a ticket.  Woot!

• Like 3

I will do my best to do a review!  Think I will study up on Hamlet before I go and see it.  It's been many years since I've seen it.  Would be nice to really know it well so that I can fully understand all the subtleties and nuances that surely BC will bring to it.

From the one promo picture that I have seen it's an updated version. BC is sitting at a grand piano well dressed in a fairly modern looking suit. A woman is standing behind him (Ophelia?) also in a fairly modern looking red dress.

HyUHW2G.jpg?1 Did it look something like this? Because that's from "After the Dance," I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Back from vacation .. no, I didn't go anywhere ! :(  Did you miss me ??  I've been following the news reports about this production of Hamlet and, according to what I've read, the tickets sold faster than any other tickets for anything ever ! :o  I only have my own experience to rely on, but if I were Mr. Cumberbatch, I'd be quaking in my boots right about now ... the expectations are SO high.  I'd love to see it ... or I guess I mean I'd love to see him, since that's what it's all about. 

Debbie

• Like 3

Welcome back, by the sea! How you had a great homecation.

I imagine there will be critics there as well as the Shakespearean purists watching with eagle eyes.

Well heck! Why did they put that on the Hamlet info then!?!    GGgggrrrrrrr

:D I think I saw the same thing you're referring to, because I remember thinking the exact same thing!
  • Like 1

There are still tickets available - 100 per show - but they are not being released to the public until sometime in 2015.  They are the less expensive tickets.  Expect them to sell out within a couple of hours after they are made public.  I suggest you follow the Barbican Theater, cumberbatchweb and cumberbatchforum on Twitter for the fastest updates.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Hamlet may be shown in cinemas by National Theatre Live, as was the case with Frankenstein and many other notable plays. Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

it did cost a fortune, but I could get a couple of ticks too, matinee and evening show, in august, which I'm very happy about and looking extremely forward to. 

never been too much into shakespeare (shame I know, but I'm being honest..). last shakespearian stage show I went to though, was amazing and so it raised my interest.

I have never seen benedict in person before and I'm of course pretty excited about that.

I agree with those who stated it's likely hamlet will turn out a "nightmare" as far as the whole stage door crazyness is concerned. it certaintly has the potential. 

NTL was never an option for me: didn't even broadcast coriolanus in town. would have had to travel to a bigger place anyway.  :(

• 4 weeks later...

I believe this BBC trailer (from Sherlockology) bodes well for Cumberbatch's performance at Hamlet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WtEUySDDg-I

He's quoting Shakespeare (in this case, As You Like It) like it actually means something.  (I hate it when actors recite Shakespeare -- as though it were so much nonsense.  That's probably why I shy away from Shakespeare performances.)

• Like 6