What would you like to see on Sherlock Forum?

Love the site.

I would like to see a True Crime section. A place where we can discuss actual crime and share ideas and conjecture on all of the various cases.

I think it would be a great learning place for many. I even imagine Sherlock himself logging on and spending hours reading through all the threads. A place worthy of great detective of others that aspire to being one.

• Like 2

Hi SLarrat,

Welcome to the forum!

I think that is a great suggestion and I will be happy to participate.

My way of relaxing is to watch true crime and I think I might have suspicious amount of knowledge about many serial killers, but I swear, I am a law abiding citizen.

So do let me know if you are going ahead with that!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SLarratt said:

Hi Van Buren Supernova

Well, if they create the True Crime section, I will definitely go ahead with that.

I'm not sure how likely and feasible it is for the administrator.

The other way is to fit it into our existing forum, maybe somewhere in Greater London?

Perhaps our active moderators @Carol the Dabbler @Caya can suggest something.

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Perhaps our active moderators @Carol the Dabbler @Caya can suggest something.

We started discussing it when the idea was first raised, but implementation may take some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@SLarratt and @Van Buren Supernova et al --

There will indeed be a True Crime section, and the details have been pretty much worked out.  But the Admins can devote only so much time to the forum, and a good bit of that is taken up with routine maintenance of the sort that you and I would never notice unless it was NOT done.  So please bear with us, and keep your eye on the 221B Baker Street section, which is where it will magically appear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There shouldn't be any moving needed.  Just go to the True Crime section (once it's been created) and click on Start New Topic.  It'll bring up a page with a space for you to type the title (e.g., The Clown Killer of Rome) and a box for your introductory post.  Then click Submit Topic and you've got a new thread.

One thing I should mention -- this section will be for *historical* crimes only, pre-1930.  That not only makes it a better fit in the Baker Street section (what with ACD's last few Holmes stories being published in the late 1920s), it also makes it highly unlikely that anyone who knew the victims or the suspects is still living.  So we can feel fairly free to say what we think (within the usual bounds of civility).

Added:  Or are you saying could you create new threads elsewhere in anticipation of the new section?  Yeah, I don't see why not.  For now, just put 'em in Miscellaneous Musings, since that's where the Ripper thread currently is, and preface the actual title with True Crime, as you suggested.    (Please do restrict it to pre-1930, though.)  Then once the new section is available, we Mods can move those threads (including Jack) over there.

That is awesome, Carol!

Thanks for all the effort.

(I suppose this is not the right time to ask for cake section, then? Maybe next year)

On 2/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I suppose this is not the right time to ask for cake section, then?

No, probably not.  Sorry!

(Do feel free to slip in some cake references here and there, though.)

• Tongue 1