Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

It occurs to me it's a bit odd that BBC Sherlock shows no chacteristics of a middle kid, seeing as how he supposedly was one for several years.  Even if he was able to repress all conscious recollection of Eurus, it seems to me that he might nevertheless retain a trace of the middle-kid behavior.

• Like 1

I have taken the MBTI a couple times and I am consistently an INFJ.  The N and F are almost always 50/50, but the I and J are pretty extreme.  I once told an MBTI expert that I was an INFJ but wished I was an INTJ, which she thought was hysterically funny, and to this day (20 years later), I still wonder why.

I completely buy Sherlock as an INTP, but then again, I only know him from three places--the books, Jeremy Brett (the quintessential Holmes, for me), and Cumberbatch.  I haven't seen a Rathbone movie since childhood, and I've never seen Elementary, and the one Guy Ritchie Sherlock movie I saw was so long ago I couldn't tell you a thing about it.  Except it took place in London...I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mischief Girl said:

I once told an MBTI expert that I was an INFJ but wished I was an INTJ, which she thought was hysterically funny, and to this day (20 years later), I still wonder why.

Maybe because it's typical for Fs to want to think of themselves as Ts?

If you don't mind telling, why do you wish you were a T?

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

It occurs to me it's a bit odd that BBC Sherlock shows no chacteristics of a middle kid, seeing as how he supposedly was one for several years.  Even if he was able to repress all conscious recollection of Eurus, it seems to me that he might nevertheless retain a trace of the middle-kid behavior.

This is weird, I know I posted a reply to this, but it's nowhere to be seen. And I don't remember what it was, except at the time I thought I was being really clever. Probably just as well it disappeared, then. :smile: 

• Haha 1

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Mischief Girl!

• 5 months later...

Both of those sound pretty much just INT to me.  Anyhow I'm a P, and they sound like me -- maybe even more than they sound like Alex the INTJ.

I’m sure there’s plenty of crossover between the types, and plenty of differences between people of the same type as well.

• Like 1

d72421a527e321f2f91b5b114b009ece.jpg

Not all apply to me, but definitely some do.

(I wish I could go over this with a pen and correct "frugile"...)

Lol, I was going to say the same thing … is that the "T" part of us? (You'd think it'd be the "J" part, but I have almost no J in me.....)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Artemis said:

I wish I could go over this with a pen and correct "frugile"...)

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Lol, I was going to say the same thing … is that the "T" part of us?

Wikipedia has completely spoiled me.  Nowadays when I spot a typo in a book, I'm sooo frustrated that I can't change it!

I've given up on pointing out typos to website managers, though.  They generally thank me nicely and say they'll fix it -- but do they?  Seems like they'd want to present their business or opinions or whatever in the best possible light, but apparently that doesn't include spelling.  (Like the restaurant that last time I checked still promised "vegitarian fair" on their menu.)

• Haha 1

Are you saying you can change a typo if you find one on WikiP? Oooooo.

And is it just me, or are there more typos in books than there used to be? Drives me nutz. Maybe that's why I don't read as much as I used to.

There was a book … I've long since forgotten the name or the author … it was a really popular fantasy with a boatload of sequels. Or maybe it was a trilogy from the start, they all were, for awhile there. At any rate, I remember getting sooooo frustrated with it because the author used this same adverb over and over and OVER again. Doesn't anyone reread what they wrote any more? Agh! I remember I ended up striking them out and writing in alternative words just to keep myself sane. :rolleyes: It was otherwise a decent enough story, but I never could bring myself to read any more of that author's works.

I also had a copy of … I think it was The Hobbit, but it might have been LOTR … where the same line was printed twice on one of the pages. When I finally got a new copy I was soooooo relieved to find it had been fixed. Yay! Although the typo'd version might be worth some money now, who knows? 😉 

I also have a friend who's an author, she once asked me to proof her work but I guess I was too freakin' critical ("you said in the previous chapter his favorite brew was ale, but in this chapter he's drinking a lager") because she never asked me again. :DGuess that's one way to get out of doing extra work.....

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Are you saying you can change a typo if you find one on WikiP? 

Well, yeah!  That's the whole point, really -- every page in the entire site has been written by whoever wanted to write it, ditto for additions, corrections, etc.  (Of course that's sometimes a drawback, if the last person to amend a page had what you consider a questionable point of view.)

You're supposed to sign up (which is free) before contributing, but as I recall I've accidentally edited something without signing in a couple of times.  I've mostly corrected usage and confusing punctuation, but also some factual errors as well.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... is it just me, or are there more typos in books than there used to be?

It's not just you.  But most of what I've seen lately isn't traditional typos or misspellings (e.g., "thier" for "their"), it's the wrong word (either the wrong homonym such as "it's" instead of "its" or the wrong similar word like the ever-popular "loose" instead of "lose").  And (as I've said before) I blame this on people thinking that a spellchecker is an adequate substitute for a live proofreader.

But it gets worse.  In some cases it doesn't even appear to be the author's error -- it's good ol' auto-correct and its buddy auto-complete, substituting inanitites for what had been a perfectly good sentence.

• Sad 1

Re Typos in books - I suppose it's the fast publication process.

I also noticed that the books I buy as Polish editions get worse regarding the translations. AFAIK the process from a manuscript to a printed book could take up to 5 years(!) in the eighties, which was fine because the publishers were all nationalized. And the amount of foreign language books was quite limited. The side effects:  there were as good as no low quality books on the market (as well as no politically incorrect ones) and there was plenty of time for the translator to work on the text and do his/her research. I even remember using a particular translator's name as a quality guarantee, you knew if he worked on a book, it was something worth reading. One of my fav books ever I've bought because I trusted him :D

With the time the translations worsened significantly, sometimes you can even see mistakes without knowing the original text. And if there is a second language in the text you can be almost sure that the translator asked google and not another translator for help.

There is apparently no time to do anything right, they can correct the mistakes by the next edition, because changing now is so easy.  Before computers (aka B.C. ;) ) it was much complicated and costed a LOT more money.

• Sad 2

The first time I took this test, in my early 20s, it came out INFP and that seemed very llike me at the time.  I had anotherI INFP correspondent and we  congratulated ourselves on our synchonicity.    I suppose a lot of INFPs gravitate toward the study of the humanities and literature, as I did . . but he was an anomoly--the vice president in charge of marketing for a metro health system.  His role as a  hospital administrator required a lot of presentations, piublic speaking, pressing the flesh at fundraisers and playing rounds of golf with people he didn't like, equally despising the game of golf itself.  He was a sensitive Introvert in a hard-charging, high-prrofile Extrovert role.  He got great reviews from bosses and colleagues but admitted that his job took so much out of him, he was very much a homebody on his weekends off.  Safe to say he never prepared specifically for the role of VP of health care administration . .  he kind of fell into it, and then the money became too good to give up.

My career has aligned a bit more closely to what I studied for in college   . . children's librarianship is very close to education in many respects.  But all these intervening years have really shown me the darker sides of life and burst the idealistic bubble I once carried around with me.  I have tested INFJ more recently, but have noticed I keep bouncing between that and my initial INFP, even when I take different versions of the test.  It's become something of a game--what am I going to test as today . .?  As far as I can tell, I keep testing 'P' on the basis of answering '5' to the question, "I get lost contemplating nature when out for a walk.'   Which is true . . I do.  Getting lost in contemplation of something besides my own hamster brain is the whole reason I go for a walk.  I couldn't just blunder through the woods without taking notice of, well, . . woodsy stuff.  I realize this is a 'P' characteristic in this situation . . but in the rest of my daily life, I feel a lot  more 'J'.  The test doesn't think so but I know so.  Those dreamy 'P' days are done for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

Getting lost in contemplation of something besides my own hamster brain is the whole reason I go for a walk.  I couldn't just blunder through the woods without taking notice of, well, . . woodsy stuff.  I realize this is a 'P' characteristic in this situation . . 

... and this presumably explains why Alex the J is impatient when I stop to "smell the roses" on our walks.  He likes nature too, and neither of us tends to get lost in contemplation of it -- but we're clearly somewhat different in this respect.

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:
17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Are you saying you can change a typo if you find one on WikiP? 

Well, yeah!  That's the whole point, really -- every page in the entire site has been written by whoever wanted to write it, ditto for additions, corrections, etc.  (Of course that's sometimes a drawback, if the last person to amend a page had what you consider a questionable point of view.)

Well, I knew it was written "by the people" but I didn't know just any old body could change any old thing. Temptation....

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

He was a sensitive Introvert in a hard-charging, high-prrofile Extrovert role.  He got great reviews from bosses and colleagues...

It's my understanding that that's often the case … because the sensitive ones tend to perceive things that the hard-charging ones miss.  Things like that.

I've seen it work the opposite way too, though … some people were just overwhelmed by the demands of one place I worked. Not by the work itself, but by all the glad-handing they were expected to do. We lost three or four otherwise excellent employees simply because they weren't outgoing enough to suit the big bosses. Stupid, really, to lose talent just because they aren't party guys.

Interestingly enough, I can't remember any of the women in those positions having trouble finding a way to fit in. Just the guys. Hmm.

• 8 months later...

This is so me.  This is perhaps the most me-est thing I’ve ever read.

If You’re an INTJ, You’ve Probably Had These 5 Annoying Experiences.”

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, Arte, but most of those are pretty universal experiences …. 😉 

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, Arte, but most of those are pretty universal experiences …. 😉 

I'm not so sure they're all *that* universal.  Aren't you an INTP/J yourself, Arcadia?  I'm an INTP, so I'm a lot like INTJs (such as Alex) in most ways but opposites in some other ways.  So lemme analyze those 5 points:

1.  "What's wrong?"  In my teens and twenties, I had a reputation (undeserved in my opinion!) of "never" smiling (whereas one of my buddies had the opposite reputation).  I also intimidated people without meaning to, even when I was actually feeling pretty insecure.  But until I read this article, it never occurred to me that there might be a connection!  (Somewhere along the line, I learned to "feel happy" for photographs, so maybe I don't scare quite so many people nowadays.)  Anyhow, it seems to me that people wouldn't have found my lack of smile worthy of comment if it were all that common.

2.  Horrifying people by stating the "obvious":  I can't offhand think of any specific examples, so maybe that's more of a J thing (or maybe the horrified reactions went right over my head?).  I've certainly *thought* of stating things that I considered obvious, but restrained myself, so maybe that's the P/J difference?

3.  Assuming a "plan" was meant literally:  I really can't think of any examples here either, though I can certainly imagine being puzzled under such circumstances.  Maybe I've mostly hung out with fellow INT's?

4.  Looking terrible in photos:  For sure!  But one of my boyfriends was a shutter-bug, and I finally got tired of those photos (and the ones where I'm saying "Don't you dare take my picture now!"), so as mentioned above, I learned to "feel happy" for photos.

5.  No one takes my suggestions seriously:  I came to the conclusion years ago that most people (the "normal" ones) simply do everything the way they've always done it, which may well be the way their parents did it.  (And their grandparents -- makes me wonder why doctors aren't still using leeches!)  Whereas I need to figure things out for myself, which means that a) I often do things differently from most people, b) I frequently change my methods, and c) until I find The Perfect Method, things tend to pile up.  But (perhaps because my methods are generally in flux) I often feel intimidated by people who seem to know what they're doing, plus (as in #2 above) I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut -- most of the time.

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Whereas I need to figure things out for myself, which means that a) I often do things differently from most people, b) I frequently change my methods, and c) until I find The Perfect Method, things tend to pile up.

And - the worse of all - everyone hates you for doing this because they cannot follow/understand what you do and why are you doing this. Sometimes I feel I could kill someone. Thinking about getting myself a t-shirt "if everybody was doing things the way they were done before, we would still live on trees"

As for the rest of the list - I'm an "I" - which means that there is not much of human interaction in my life. If I want to go to the movies, I simply GO to the movies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut -- most of the time.

^ That about sums it up.

The way my body is coordinated (dis) I suspect it is assembled from spare body part, and I indeed look horrible in pictures. The shitty friends I have, the more I reject pictures, the more they take it as challenge. 

Oh I can't stand when people make plan and don't go with it, especially when we have limited time. I have no chill.