Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Why don't you?

It's so much more fun when someone else does the work.

Don't hit me FJs, those on extreme ends of F and J are killing combination for me and my friend is one. This happened to us before, and I kept 'hurting' him, wonder why he still always talk to me again, and never quit me as friend but then never seems to get what I am.

I have a friend who is a bit like that … most of the time we're okay, but every once in a while she comes out with the most … well, to me, they are very racist and/or ignorant comments. I admit it's put a strain on our friendship, at least on my side. And yet, we keep drifting back into each other's orbit. On the other hand, I have friends that I get along with beautifully, we have a great time together … and yet we are gradually drifting apart. I predict in another year or so, they will have dropped me altogether. Chemistry between people is a weird thing, isn't it?

Don't hit me FJs, those on extreme ends of F and J are killing combination for me and my friend is one. This happened to us before, and I kept 'hurting' him, wonder why he still always talk to me again, and never quit me as friend but then never seems to get what I am.

This always ends up being a problem between me and extreme F’s too.  Very frustrating.

8 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Don't hit me FJs, those on extreme ends of F and J are killing combination for me and my friend is one. This happened to us before....

There's a nutritionist that I occasionally consult (with generally excellent results, I must add) who I think is probably an FJ.

Example:  I had taken one bit of her advice that unfortunately (because of factors that she had not been aware of) turned out to be a huge mistake.  Once I realized what was causing my extreme discomfort, I immediately untook her advice and soon felt immensely better.  When I mentioned this to her, she said, "OK, if you're afraid to do that...."  Even though I tried to explain that A} I had been suffering in a certain way for a couple of years while following that particular bit of her advice, and then B} had found some information online that seemed to explain it, and most importantly C} after acting on that information (by no longer following that particular bit of her advice), my suffering ended within a couple of days -- she seemed to think that I was arbitrarily "afraid" to continue.

However she does seem to understand that what she considers a good explanation often doesn't work for me, and so bless her heart, she will sometimes attempt to give me my kind of explanation -- but what she comes up with then is sheer gobbledygook (which must be what my explanations sound like to her).  So I will tell her, please just give me your own kind of explanation.  (At least I'm familiar with her approach, and can generally kinda translate into something that makes sense to me -- though it'd presumably sound like gobbledygook to her.)

• Like 1

Hm, I am definitely FJ according to any of these tests that I have taken yet I don't feel like I have that kind of communication problem with other types of people very often... Maybe I just don't notice? 

On 10/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, Arcadia said:

Chemistry between people is a weird thing, isn't it?

Still say it's not a defect? It's a defect!

On 10/21/2019 at 5:56 AM, T.o.b.y said:

Hm, I am definitely FJ according to any of these tests that I have taken yet I don't feel like I have that kind of communication problem with other types of people very often... Maybe I just don't notice? 

If you don't mind me asking,

Do you have heavy on the scale T friend? And have you ever felt hurt with their comments/reactions or lack thereof? Or frustrated when you think they should feel guilty/apologize but they never did, or worse, didn't understand or aware that they are hurting your feeling? Or appealed at their lack of compassion/sympathy or indifference or seemingly cruel comment?

I had been called all those, by FJs I mentioned, which is confusing to me, if I am so mean and hard to be friend with, they really don't have to. (Sometimes I really wish that to be honest, there were those who gave up and tbh, it's very alright and works well actually although this probably sounds a*holic). I appreciate that they still try, but it's tiring sometimes that I'm always pushing invisible buttons. I can't always take care of your feelings if you don't understand that I actually didn't mean to hurt it.   And it doesn't make me feel good as well when you always think that you are the only one making effort.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, T.o.b.y said:

I am definitely FJ according to any of these tests that I have taken yet I don't feel like I have that kind of communication problem with other types of people very often... Maybe I just don't notice? 

Nope, you communicate just fine, at least in writing.  I might have more difficulty understanding your spoken communication.  Or maybe my nutritionist isn't an IN either.  Well, I do think she's intuitive (that's the I, right?), so maybe she's not an N, whatever that is.  All I know for sure is, she and I have some sort of communication gap.

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I can't always take care of your feelings if you don't understand that I actually didn't mean to hurt it.   And it doesn't make me feel good as well when you always think that you are the only one making effort.

I know you were addressing that to Tobe (and I'll be interested in what she has to say), but oh boy, I know what you're talking about!  I try my best to state things accurately and unambiguously, assuming that this will avoid misunderstandings.  But certain others (presumably those high on the F scale, as you say) seem to take the result as bluntness, sometimes even rudeness.   :(   Heaven knows how they'd take it if I just blurted out the first thing that popped into my head!  (Oh, wait a minute, I do that now and then, and it's even worse.)  And those times when I try to be gentle and tactful, I tend to be misunderstood.  So I guess I'll continue attempting accuracy and clarity.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well, I do think she's intuitive (that's the I, right?), so maybe she's not an N, whatever that is.

N is Intuitive, I is Introvert.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I always get those confused.  My best guess then is that she's an ENFJ (and I'm an INTP -- plus there are presumably other factors).  We respect each other, but we sure as heck don't *get* each other!

I think my mother is either an ENFJ or ENFP, and we don't get each other either.

One of my bosses was an INTJ to my INTP, and we didn't get each other either. At all.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:14 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nope, you communicate just fine, at least in writing.  I might have more difficulty understanding your spoken communication.  Or maybe my nutritionist isn't an IN either.  Well, I do think she's intuitive (that's the I, right?), so maybe she's not an N, whatever that is.  All I know for sure is, she and I have some sort of communication gap.

I know you were addressing that to Tobe (and I'll be interested in what she has to say), but oh boy, I know what you're talking about!  I try my best to state things accurately and unambiguously, assuming that this will avoid misunderstandings.  But certain others (presumably those high on the F scale, as you say) seem to take the result as bluntness, sometimes even rudeness.   :(   Heaven knows how they'd take it if I just blurted out the first thing that popped into my head!  (Oh, wait a minute, I do that now and then, and it's even worse.)  And those times when I try to be gentle and tactful, I tend to be misunderstood.  So I guess I'll continue attempting accuracy and clarity.

Funny, I usually like interacting with very blunt people and I am definitely pretty F... Although I usually come out as fairly balanced on all letters except the I vs E where I am usually like 80% I vs about 60:40% on all the others. 

We have a family friend who is totally tactless and really does say exactly what he thinks most of the time and I usually find it hilarious. He's not actively trying to hurt my feelings, after all, he just doesn't have much of a filter. 

It's relaxing not to have to put in any effort to understand him and pretty much eliminates smalltalk. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I recently came across a 2013 study that compares the Meyers-Briggs spectrum to two other personality systems, namely Type A / Type B behavior, and Internal / External Locus of Control.  They do a good job of explaining each of those (including some interesting statistics on Myers-Briggs) and announce what they expected to find.  Then after describing their methodology, they end with their actual findings.

They didn't find many correlations between systems, except for this:  "Type A personalities were positively associated with judging...."

• 3 weeks later...

I'd never heard of this "locus of control" thing, but I found a quiz. (It says I'm "internal" and then goes on to say all kinds of nice things about me. :smile: ) Here's the link: https://my-personality-test.com/locus-of-control

However, I'm also definitely a Type B and a perceiver. Those things don't seem to go together.....

I'm also a Type B, a Perceiver, and an Internal, and don't offhand see a contradiction.  (In fact, the study I liked to, which found a positive correlation between Type A and Judger, would seem to imply that there's also a correlation between Type B and Perceiver.)  What parts do you feel don't go together?

I know enough Externals to have figured out that I'm an Internal long before I ever heard the terms -- and the quiz confirmed my impression.  However the way most of the questions were worded, using absolute terms like "always" and "the top," made it difficult for me to decide how much I agreed or disagreed.  If they'd used relative terms like "usually" or "successful," I would have found it a whole lot easier.  (And by the way, it should be "The world is RUN," not "The world is RAN."  I have my doubts about these people.)

I had similar doubts, but I found another quiz and got the same result, so maybe it's better than it looks.

Type B and perceiver go together, but internal and Type B seem at odds, to me. I'm under the impression an internal is something of a go-getter, and that a Type B ain't. But that actually describes me, I think ... I'm pretty laid back about most things, but once I get it in my head that I want something, I work hard to get it. I just don't get it in my head very often. :smile: 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm under the impression an internal is something of a go-getter

Well, in the sense that if an internal really wants something, they won't just sit around hoping somebody will give it to them.

once I get it in my head that I want something, I work hard to get it.

... and there you go!

I'm pretty laid back too (hey, I'm a Type B), but I've never been one for doing things the "normal" way.  Not that I'm a rebel, it's just that a lot of the time the usual way doesn't make sense to me and/or I'm no good at it.  So I have to start a lot of things from scratch, figuring out what makes sense to me and then figuring out how to go about doing it.  I assume that fits with the "internal" personality as well. 

I found another quiz and got the same result

Could you post a link?  (Not that I have any doubt I'm an internal, more like I'm curious how accurate the quizzes are.)

On 11/9/2020 at 1:08 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Could you post a link?  (Not that I have any doubt I'm an internal, more like I'm curious how accurate the quizzes are.)

I think this is the one. It's pretty brief, I wasn't too impressed with it, but as I said, I got the same results, so who knows. https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=internal-or-external-locus-of-controlck

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

Oh dear, they've stumped me on the very first question -- am I an optimist or a realist?  I guess I'd have to call myself an optimistic realist, as I see no contradiction in seeing things as they are while expecting things to turn out just fine, one way or another.  (To quote The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, all will be well in the end, and if all is not well then it is not yet the end.)

But in any case, they apparently don't want to ask me any more questions.  I've tried several times, but regardless of how I answer the first one, clicking on the "next" (or whatever it says) arrow has no effect.  I guess I don't need to take this test!

On 11/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks!

Oh dear, they've stumped me on the very first question -- am I an optimist or a realist?  I guess I'd have to call myself an optimistic realist, as I see no contradiction in seeing things as they are while expecting things to turn out just fine, one way or another.  (To quote The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, all will be well in the end, and if all is not well then it is not yet the end.)

But in any case, they apparently don't want to ask me any more questions.  I've tried several times, but regardless of how I answer the first one, clicking on the "next" (or whatever it says) arrow has no effect.  I guess I don't need to take this test!

Oh well, you didn't miss much, imo.

• 9 months later...

INTJ

I've taken numerous MBTI type tests online, and one on paper that I had someone read back to me (academic setting) and the result is always the same... I just retook the one at the link above and my % were slightly less in the I (normally about 90%) and J (normally about 50%) realms. These things are interesting to me for some reason...

I just took it again out of curiosity too and no surprise really, still came out as INFJ. I notice though that as I get older, my scores become more balanced (with I vs E still being the strongest). 

I've tried different sources too and always got the same result except once when whatever test it was said INFP instead. Which is nonsense, I'm clearly more J than P. 😄 

• 1 year later...

Just came across this online:

I've read that autopsies have shown distinct differences in the brains of introverts and extroverts. Introverts possess a thicker cerebral cortex, which can strengthen their perception, awareness, consciousness. Everything is louder , brighter , busier , and the need for their brains to process all these overstimulated feelings is physically draining.

That makes so much sense!!!  No wonder the current crop of movies tend to overwhelm me.

It reminds me of another recent discovery:  Some people actually have far more taste buds than average, while other people have far fewer.  People in the first group (e.g., me) prefer their food plain or very lightly seasoned, while those in the second group (e.g., hubby) consider lightly seasoned food to be bland and nearly tasteless.

Makes me wonder if the great majority of people in India are short on tastebuds.  I really enjoy Indian food when the seasoning is light enough (mild or medium at Indian restaurants in the US) that I can taste the actual ingredients, but Indian or Pakistani home cooking is way beyond my capability.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 12:25 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just came across this online:

I've read that autopsies have shown distinct differences in the brains of introverts and extroverts. Introverts possess a thicker cerebral cortex, which can strengthen their perception, awareness, consciousness. Everything is louder , brighter , busier , and the need for their brains to process all these overstimulated feelings is physically draining.

I remember reading (or being told, I forget) that the broad majority of Americans are extroverts. I wonder if that's true ... maybe that would explain why everything is being MADE louder, brighter, busier ... because it doesn't look busy to the extroverts that are making them? If introverts ruled the world would it be a quieter, calmer place? Hmm.

On 6/12/2023 at 12:25 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

It reminds me of another recent discovery:  Some people actually have far more taste buds than average, while other people have far fewer.  People in the first group (e.g., me) prefer their food plain or very lightly seasoned, while those in the second group (e.g., hubby) consider lightly seasoned food to be bland and nearly tasteless.

Makes me wonder if the great majority of people in India are short on tastebuds.  I really enjoy Indian food when the seasoning is light enough (mild or medium at Indian restaurants in the US) that I can taste the actual ingredients, but Indian or Pakistani home cooking is way beyond my capability.

Hmmm, maybe, but my guess is that it's more to do with what you get used to. I avoided pepper as a kid, for example, but the older I get the more likely I am to use it ... starting to appreciate the flavor! I also used to use tons of salt, but when they started saying salt was bad for you, I cut back ... and now a lot of prepared foods taste too salty to me. I barely use salt at all when I'm cooking anymore.

Alas, in spite of my best efforts, my sweet tooth has not abated.....

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... my guess is that it's more to do with what you get used to. II avoided pepper as a kid, for example, but the older I get the more likely I am to use it ... starting to appreciate the flavor!

Being used to it is certainly a factor.  I was taught as a kid to put salt on melon, for example.  Then later, like you, I cut back on salt and once I got used to plain melon, discovered that I really like it that way.

However I've heard that it's common for people's sense of smell -- or is it their sense of taste? (the two work together) -- to diminish as they get older.  Perhaps your newfound love of pepper is making up for things that no longer make as much impact as they once did.

My father seemed to rely very heavily on his sense of taste, pretty much his whole life, even though he had a good sense of smell.  He literally added about a teaspoon of salt to each meal, and wanted his desserts really, really sweet.  After he passed on, Mom was finally able to make rhubarb pie the way *she* liked it!