Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

To John, real people don't have enemies. ( very fictional concept, of course real people have enemies)

Boy do they ever. The newspapers are full of stories of people who had an enemy so dangerous they do wind up dead. So yeah, John's statement is a bit of fiction.

That's unfortunately all too true in the literal sense. But maybe what Jess meant was that John doesn't think of anyone as his enemy, even though he may not like them. I think that's consistent with what he told Sherlock. And it doesn't mean that he's horribly altruistic, it just means that's how he naturally views the world.  If you're at all familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality paradigm, you may recall that one pair of traits is Perceiving versus Judging. John is apparently a Perceiver.

Oh, I love that point. Possibly because I really am a Perciever. We revel in ambiguity. Much to the dismay of the J's. (Say it now, say it loud, I'm a P, and I'm Proud!) :giggle:

P.S. Now I'm sitting here trying to decide if Sherlock's an INTJ or an ISTP. Heaven help me.

• Like 2

Me too, I'm a Perceiver!  (Trying desperately to make a Monkees parody out of that, and failing miserably, presumably due to the late hour.)

I am wondering whether the current Mary debate may to a large extent boil down to personality types.  (Here's a pretty good free online test, for anyone who's wondering what their M-B type might be.)

• Like 2

I guess I'm going to have to take the test because I have not a clue of what you posted, Carol. I don't mean to be so literal at times but I only know what I read. If I interpret it wrong then I do apologize.

• Like 1

Me too, I'm a Perceiver!  (Trying desperately to make a Monkees parody out of that, and failing miserably, presumably due to the late hour.)

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing! Perceivers unite! (I was one of 3 P's out of the 100 or so people in my former workplace. Which may explain why it's my former workplace.)

I am wondering whether the current Mary debate may to a large extent boil down to personality types.  (Here's a pretty good free online test, for anyone who's wondering what their M-B type might be.)

I'm convinced Myers-Briggs can explain almost anything. :D

• Like 2

Isn't it, though? It's almost as spooky as Facebook knowing who all your acquaintances are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to the test I'm INTJ.

Hay Fox, notice a fictional character that shares your personality traits. :o

"Did you miss me?" :lol:

Fictional INTJs:

Cassius (Julius Caesar)

Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)

Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books)

Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)

Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis

Horatio Hornblower

Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet)

George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy

Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)

• Like 1

I tried it and put in the answers I thought Sherlock would put in. Got INTP, but I'm suspicious because that's what I am, I may simply be projecting myself. Anyone else want to try to pretend to be Sherlock and see what you get?

He's obviously an I and a T but I'm not sure about the other two..... he's pretty subtle in those areas.

To John, real people don't have enemies. ( very fictional concept, of course real people have enemies)

Boy do they ever. The newspapers are full of stories of people who had an enemy so dangerous they do wind up dead. So yeah, John's statement is a bit of fiction.
That's unfortunately all too true in the literal sense. But maybe what Jess meant was that John doesn't think of anyone as his enemy, even though he may not like them. I think that's consistent with what he told Sherlock. And it doesn't mean that he's horribly altruistic, it just means that's how he naturally views the world. If you're at all familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality paradigm, you may recall that one pair of traits is Perceiving versus Judging. John is apparently a Perceiver.
Oh, I love that point. Possibly because I really am a Perciever. We revel in ambiguity. Much to the dismay of the J's. (Say it now, say it loud, I'm a P, and I'm Proud!) :giggle:

P.S. Now I'm sitting here trying to decide if Sherlock's an INTJ or an ISTP. Heaven help me.

I say Sherlock is definitely ISTP.

He's obviously an I and a T but I'm not sure about the other two..... he's pretty subtle in those areas.

I say Sherlock is definitely ISTP.

According to some Sherlock is also INTJ.

See what I mean? :rofl:

• Like 1

I was one of 3 P's out of the 100 or so people in my former workplace. Which may explain why it's my former workplace.

My sympathy!!! Don't get me wrong, my best friend is a J, but communication can be awfully difficult sometimes.

According to the test I'm INTJ.

I'm an ENFP. I feel exposed, very good insight to my personality. Erie how spot on it is.

I tried it and put in the answers I thought Sherlock would put in. Got INTP, but I'm suspicious because that's what I am....

I'm an INTP too!

So far we're all N's, but that's based on an awfully small sample.  Here's the test again, for anyone else who'd like to try it.  It'll be interesting to see how similar or varied we are.

• Like 1

Okay, now you guys have got me interested as well... Hm. According to the test, I am nothing, really. Okay, I turned out INFJ, but it was only by an about 5% margin in each case, and I wonder whether that is even significant, especially given that I wavered over quite a lot of questions...

Personality tests and my humble person have quite a history, anyway. At uni, I had to take a weekend course in psychology, and the professor had the grand idea that we should all try out various professional tests on ourselves (which meant that he could mostly sit back and read a novel the whole time). My personality assessment made me look like a complete nut case, and my intelligence test told me I really shouldn't be able to attend university. A few months ago, I found one of those "alternative" intelligence tests online, that don't quantify your intelligence, they just tell you in what way your brain supposedly works. That one labelled me "creative" rather than "analytical", which I suspect is science-speak for "stupid".

Yet somehow, I get by...

• Like 2

Toby I think the test was accurate. That's why you are almost always very clear when expressing your thoughts in posts. This test is like kind of spooky... Dooo doo doo doo doo doo....

• Like 1

Some of my four traits were really marginal, too (only 1% on one) -- but I always test out as an INTP, and the description is embarrassingly accurate.  So I think there's definitely something to it (though I certainly would not stake my life on it).

• Like 2

Well, I'm ISFP, so I'm the first S here! :D

Thank goodness, we need someone to keep us impractical N's grounded!

• Like 1

Okay, now you guys have got me interested as well... Hm. According to the test, I am nothing, really. Okay, I turned out INFJ, but it was only by an about 5% margin in each case, and I wonder whether that is even significant, especially given that I wavered over quite a lot of questions...

It doesn't mean you're nothing, it means you have a well-integrated personality. I agree with Jess, I think you have the most balanced, clearly expressed views of just about anyone here!

• Like 2

I'm an INTP too!

Welcome to my world....

Umm, I suspect I had it first!  :P

Just noticed that we are all introverts here... that's interesting!  :sherlock:

Nope, Jess says she's an ENFP.

• Like 1