Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

I tried it and put in the answers I thought Sherlock would put in. Got INTP, but I'm suspicious because that's what I am, I may simply be projecting myself. Anyone else want to try to pretend to be Sherlock and see what you get?

He's obviously an I and a T but I'm not sure about the other two..... he's pretty subtle in those areas.

Well, I tried the same thing for fun just now, and I got INTP, too, and that's not my own result. So... who knows. I didn't recognize him from the description much, though. Whew. It seems that fictional characters at least are safe from this test.

Really? I thought the INTP description fit pretty well ... but that's not to say others might not fit better. I guess I could read all sixteen types and see which one I think fits best... but frankly I'm too sleepy! :P I wonder if our personality types influence how we see other people?

Boy, this test just gets scarier every minute. I just did it with someone I know very well, and the description rang totally true. I'm befuddled!

There, there -- take a deep breath.  Now stop to consider how this test works:

1.  They ask you a bunch of questions about yourself.

2.  You answer them honestly.

3.  They basically rephrase and combine what you just told them.

4.  You are astounded.

The part that amazes me is that they can describe everyone pretty well with just 16 types!

I tried it and put in the answers I thought Sherlock would put in. Got INTP, but I'm suspicious because that's what I am....

Well, I tried the same thing for fun just now, and I got INTP, too, and that's not my own result. So... who knows. I didn't recognize him from the description much, though....

I haven't tried "doing" Sherlock, but I'm an INTP, and don't think I'm much like him. Well, except in the sense that if I see something that puzzles me, I have a hard time letting go of it till I have a plausible explanation.

The part that amazes me is that they can describe everyone pretty well with just 16 types!

Not everyone; there may be some self-selection bias at work here as well ... those who find their result fits them tend to report back, those who don't, shrug. For example, it pegged me as an INTP too, but I didn't find that sounded a lot like me (nor do I think the two of us are that similar) so I didn't post my results here before.

• Like 2

I am glad you are immune at least!

So, I went to just reading all the descriptions, and I think Sherlock fits in nowhere, either, but if I had to chose one for him, it would be this:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/intj

• Like 1

Not everyone; there may be some self-selection bias at work here as well ... those who find their result fits them tend to report back, those who don't, shrug. For example, it pegged me as an INTP too, but I didn't find that sounded a lot like me (nor do I think the two of us are that similar) so I didn't post my results here before.

I do think we're a lot alike, but we're alike in different ways.  Even though we often disagree, we can carry on fruitful discussions and see each other's point of view.  (And we're both pretty stubborn!)  In fact, I thought we were a whole lot alike till S3 aired!

But you do have a good point.  Anyone that doesn't fit the "type" -- or who doesn't recognize themselves in the description -- isn't as likely to post their results as someone who's blown away by the similarity.

So -- anyone else like to voice their disagreement with their M-B type?  :comp:

• Like 1

So, I went to just reading all the descriptions, and I think Sherlock fits in nowhere, either, but if I had to chose one for him, it would be this:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/intj

Wow, you're right -- the INTJ description does fit Sherlock far better than any one-in-sixteen description could be expected to fit such an exotic character.  No wonder Alex and Fox like him!

• Like 2

I think Sherlock is surprisingly easy to relate to. Easier, for me, than John, for example. I don't understand John half of the time, but Sherlock? Even though he's still a thorough riddle, he's not hard to empathize with.

• Like 1

Same here. I don't have John's patience, for one thing. He really puts up with a lot. The thing that would have driven me screaming to Mars was the time Sherlock asked John to get his phone out of his coat pocket, that was over the top! :smile:

Welp, there's Sherlock in a nutshell -- people want to meet him but after five minutes they'd probably wring his skinny little neck.

• Like 4

I've been looking for MBTI analyses of fictional characters online.  (We are definitely NOT the only people weird enough to do this!)  Here's one for the Harry Potter gang (three guesses who's the INTP! :D ).

There are a whole bunch of Sherlock charts on Pinterest (but I have so far resisted their brute-force efforts to sign me up).  If you're a member, you may be able to use this link for a sample of what's there.

The big online debate seems to be whether Sherlock is (or is not) an INTJ.  Many think he is (Google it).  Here's an entire thread devoted to Holmes and Watson (et al.) on a personality-type forum (started by someone who sees both Holmes brothers as generally INTPs, but thinks Cumberbatch's Sherlock may indeed be an INTJ).  I love this part: "... I've seen so many type the canonical Mycroft as an INTP. That's probably true. He is first and foremost a theoretician; according to his brother, he doesn't bother proving that he is right as long as he knows he is...."  Oh goodness, that does sound familiar!

• Like 1

Here's a link to someone who tried to fit the Sherlock characters in. I don't agree, but I think it's still fun:

http://tvtypes.tumblr.com/post/44498373883/bbc-sherlock-character-mbti-types

According to this, I'd "be" Molly. Well, I can certainly relate to her. Personally, I think I'm a cross between Molly and Sherlock, only with a much lower IQ, and my social skills are little bit better due to all the hard work I put into them...

• Like 2

It's interesting to me that while Irene was only in one episode, she's still treated almost as a recurring character. To the point of popping up for a second in TSo3...

I don't think I agree with these either, but I laughed when I saw Mycroft and Moriarty had the same personality type.

• Like 1

They're certainly keeping their options open as regards Irene.  For all we know, she's still alive, so she could actually show up again in the flesh (as it were).  It's the continuing Moriarty theme that puzzles me -- please don't let that be another fake death!