Myers-Briggs personality types -- and quiz

Arcadia

I'm not sure ... just because you're a Thinker doesn't mean you can't also make emotionally influenced decisions. And most of Sherlock's decisions aren't emotionally driven, are they? Shooting CAM is an emotional decision that comes to my mind, but several people on this very forum disagree with that analysis.  At any rate, I see your point, and sometimes I think he's a feeler too. But usually not.

I don't know, Sherlock isn't really consistent in his behavior, which may explain why I find him so believable! :smile:

• Like 1

If only we can peer into Sherlock's thought process :D

Back to topic, James 'Jim' Moriarty. There are several Moriarty Role-players out there with different styles. Since I am new on this fandom (almost three months since first found SHERLOCK), I am interested to hear about in-depth analysis of his character. Anything that offer insight into his thinking process.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this floating around in internet space and had to link to it:

1*bO--8HMH9IEcTDTYStMn3w.jpeg

I want that as a poster!

I'd like to add a few things, though. Like a forest of music, for example.

• Like 3

So agreed on the poster and the addition. It just about screams me although cancelled plans is not high on the list unless I am sick.

Boy do I identify with that, except I'm not quite that bad; I do have a Copse of Friends and a Hamlet of Group Activities. Although sometimes I think that's more an accident of position than a conscious choice!

Ditto on the Forest of Music!

I am not a hermit. I like people - just not a lot of them at a time, and most of them only from a safe distance.

There should be a labyrinth of detours on that map as well. When I leave my apartment, I seriously look through the spy hole first to make sure the hallway is empty, and then I take the elevator down to the basement and leave out the back door by the trash cans. I just hate bumping into my neighbors and having to make small talk. Which is ridiculous, because my neighbors are all perfectly decent people.

• Like 2

Sounds like you don't care for unexpected interactions, and I can sympathize with that.  I don't so much mind bumping into the neighbors, it's those send-us-money phone calls that I hate.

Sounds like you don't care for unexpected interactions, and I can sympathize with that.  I don't so much mind bumping into the neighbors, it's those send-us-money phone calls that I hate.

:lol: My blessed grandmother, in every other way a true lady and kind to a fault, used to listen no more than one second to any kind of commercial phone call and then you could hear her say "sorry - not interested" and bang the receiver down.

• Like 1

You are worse than me Toby and that's ignoring the fact that I'm in a town home so no elevator/stairs and no back door.  And every time I go to my car I have to go past the trash can.

There's just something about small talk that I can't stomach. I don't mind a real conversation with a comparative stranger (unless I don't want to talk at all, which happens), or if a little kid speaks to me, or a really confused person talking nonsense. That's kind of fine.

I remember I was on a train once, in the area in front where people go with their bicycles and things and where you sit pretty exposed on folding seats. There was a man a few feet away from me, who was drunk and looked as if he had no place to live, or if so, didn't use it for shaving or showering. He was obviously in some kind of distress, clutching his chest and groaning. I had no problem going over and asking him what was wrong. It was perfectly safe - the poor guy couldn't have harmed me if he tried, and there we plenty of other people around, who just couldn't be arsed to bother with him. We had a pretty funny conversation until the ambulance crew picked him up at the next stop. (I remember he said "I want to die" to one of the guys, who just answered, "not on my shift"). But if I bump into the perfectly sweet old lady who lives across from me unexpected and have to say hello, how are you, then I break out in a cold sweat.

I might break out in a cold sweat if I saw a familiar face -- not because I don't care to talk, but because I'm not particularly good with names and faces.  I can remember names just fine, and I do pretty well on faces -- but putting the two together is sometimes a challenge.  So there I am, thinking "Now is this one of the neighbors, who will presumably recognize me and think I'm being snooty if I don't say hi?  Or is it the checkout clerk from the supermarket, who most likely doesn't remember me?  Or is it my dentist?  Or a long-lost friend?  Or one of the local television news team?"  That can be kinda agonizing.

• Like 1

Oh yes, I am terrible with names too. Good with faces, but terrible with names.

Ugh, I just learned from my husband that we are invited to a birthday party next week. I don't want to go! I hate parties! And I won't know a single person there besides my other half and the host. I don't have to work that day, so I'll need some other excuse. Am seriously wondering whether I could bring on a migraine at will somehow...

I might break out in a cold sweat if I saw a familiar face -- not because I don't care to talk, but because I'm not particularly good with names and faces.  I can remember names just fine, and I do pretty well on faces -- but putting the two together is sometimes a challenge.  So there I am, thinking "Now is this one of the neighbors, who will presumably recognize me and think I'm being snooty if I don't say hi?  Or is it the checkout clerk from the supermarket, who most likely doesn't remember me?  Or is it my dentist?  Or a long-lost friend?  Or one of the local television news team?"  That can be kinda agonizing.

I'm terrible at remembering names but what you described is how I do classical music.  I remember songs and titles and good luck if I can match most of them up.

I respond to Snow Patrol songs faster than my own name. I completely understand you guys. :wacko:

To be fair, saying Bendydoodle Cantaloupe might take a bit longer than any existing Snow Patrol song.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hmmm. Had to look those up on Wikipedia; still not sure! A lot of the description for choleric seems to fit with Sherlock too, for instance. And Molly seems more phlegmatic, although it's hard to tell because we only see her in response to Sherlock. Have to look at this some more....

Waiting mode on *is happy because of new toy* ^________^

Edit:It is looooong..... http://www.refinedperspectives.com/personality-explained.html

Okay, I'm definitely calling Sherlock as a cross between melancholic and choleric. No wonder he's so hard to get along with! :D

John: Yeah, choleric/phlegmatic sounds good. He's neither as easy to get along with nor as disengaged as those descriptions would imply though, so maybe a bit of the melancholic too?

Have to come back to the others, my eyes are crossing!

• Like 1

Mycroft a Phlegmatic? *disbelief look* More like CholMel :p

Okay, I'm definitely calling Sherlock as a cross between melancholic and choleric.

:lol: The same has been said about me. No wonder I love Sherlock!

It sounds contradictory, being both "fire and water", but personalities are more complex than any system or test can ever describe accurately. And just coincidentally, my favorite colors are both blue and red. Figure that out...

Okay, that one is going straight over my head, I'll stick to phlegm and melancholy. :p

Hmm, I was thinking Mycroft is a choleric phlegmatic ... he's not fanciful enough to be a melancholic, is he?

Okay, that one is going straight over my head, I'll stick to phlegm and melancholy. :p

Hmm, I was thinking Mycroft is a choleric phlegmatic ... he's not fanciful enough to be a melancholic, is he?

Can you imagine BBC's Mycroft as a people-oriented col/phleg in mediator as his primary role? Somehow I get impression that his job is largely to coordinate/oversee projects and in the course of it, also act as bridge and liaison between agencies and offices. Don't mind his impression of hating legwork, remember that in his world, perspective is king and he's likely have a good reason to appear so. Besides, why waste your energy running around when there're people in your disposal who can do it and free you to attend to more important things that really need your personal attention? Delegate and accomplish more than if you do everything by yourself.