Thrill Seekers & Playground Games

jesskayding

I have done some slightly dangerous and bold things for fun or justice.

Fun:

1.)White%20water%20Rafting2_zpshlvvbxcf.jpg

White water rafting. I felt like I could take Niagara Falls after that. Was so thrilling.

2.)teaser_BungeeJump_General_zpskh2rfsxd.jp

3 person bungee coasting. The entire time, I was like WHY, why am I doing this. I will never, NEVER do this again. It was absolutely terrifying!

Justice:

1.) I screamed Drop it! Drop It NOOOOOW!!! @ a man that was stealing merchandise from a retailer I worked for. I was written up for not following proper procedure per could have cost me my life. The thief did drop the merchandise and run away??? I could see their point though.

2.) The other day people walked out of a restaurant without paying their bill. The bartender & I chased after them. Let's just say they paid their bill. ( girl power! )

3.) I've chastized healthy people for not giving up their seat on the bus for both a pregnant woman, then an elderly woman. They were given seats upon my angry appeal ( something about lack of courtesy and respect just gets under my skin. I become irate!).

4.) I confronted a man who was screaming at his girlfriend?, I asked him really close up to his face, do I need to call the police?

Upon reviewing this, I am so privileged to be alive! :o

So are there any fellow Justice patrollers and adventurous people like me. Share with us your adventures and bold reactions.

• Like 1

I'm not into thrill-seeking, but yes, I have done some potentially dangerous things because they seemed like the logical / right thing to do.

However, it can be tricky to tell which people are being rude on the bus, and which ones have a legitimate reason for remaining seated.  They might have a bad heart, or a trick knee -- or maybe, like Rosa Parks, they're just really, really tired!

• Like 1

The biggest thrill in my life was horseback riding, but I never thought of it as dangerous -- until Christopher Reeve. I'd still ride if I could, but never by myself again.

I really can't think of anything else dangerous that I've done, unless you count riding a bike. Those things will kill you.

• Like 2

Once time, this guy was poking fun at my friend, so I jumped on the guy's back until he threw himself to the ground in an attempt to crush me. Luckily, I jumped off just in time and he bashed himself pretty good. I guess it was for fun and justice.

• Like 1

Just thinking back to the playground equipment we had at our school, we didn't need artificial thrills.  I'm amazed that virtually all of us grew up physically unscathed.

There was a merry-go-round very similar to this one, except the bottom was higher off the ground, about hip-high on a kid.  We would sit on the seat around the edge, of course, and someone would run along and push the thing so it would spin faster and faster.  Unlike the newer flat ones, though, ours could also be tipped to one side and released, so it would swing back and forth like a pendulum, clanging against the post, and then some kids liked to jump off the high side.  I seriously don't recall any real injuries from that, maybe a few scrapes and bruises.

Then there was the maypole.  The little piece at the top can rotate, so each kid takes hold of a handle and runs in a circle.  Then when they're all going fast enough, they can lift their feet off the ground and be spun around for a while by the residual centrifugal force (like the girl on the right in the picture).  But the handles are heavy steel pieces at the end of heavy steel chains, and if a kid lets go of one while the maypole is in motion, the handle whips around unpredictably.  I recall one kid losing a tooth.

We also had all the usual things -- swings, teeter-totters (see-saws), and a slide -- and even those would probably be illegal nowadays.  The swings were thick wooden slabs hung on heavy chains -- designed to be sturdy and childproof rather than safe.  But somehow we survived.  Maybe kids were tougher back then.  Or maybe we just had to depend on our own judgement.  If kids are always told what to do just because they're kids, then how will they ever learn to think when they're the adults who have to tell their own kids what to do?

• Like 1

I remember the merry go round thingy, I was like 6 or 7 years old, & like a middle schooler was turning it way to fast. I flew off that thing & half my butt cheek was skinned off. Because it was positioned on gravel pavement. I had blacked that out till now. Traumatizing childhood memories. :(:cry:

I'm not into thrill-seeking, but yes, I have done some potentially dangerous things because they seemed like the logical / right thing to do.

However, it can be tricky to tell which people are being rude on the bus, and which ones have a legitimate reason for remaining seated. They might have a bad heart, or a trick knee -- or maybe, like Rosa Parks, they're just really, really tired!

Every single person seated up front had that issue??, I don't think so. I'm sorry pregnancy & elderly trump tired. The Rosa Park incident was a far more deeper issue than being tired. I'm quite positive she would give her seat up for a pregnant and or elderly person vs. Being asked to move due to the color of her skin.

I know you didn't mean any disrespect with your response to my sort of bold behaviors. I appreciate your comments & feedback. I just dont think that was a very good comparison to my actions.

I am not denying that there are some incredibly rude people in this world!  But just because 100 people are simply rude doesn't mean that number 101 can't have a good reason.  Some people might not be as strong or as healthy as they look, whereas some elderly or pregnant people might actually resent the implication that they are ipso facto "not healthy" and therefore need someone's seat.

When my aunt was in her late 80's, a Wal-Mart greeter asked if she'd like to use one of their motorized riding carts.  She told him indignantly, "I may be old, but I can still walk!"

Yes, I'm well aware that Rosa Parks' courageous refusal to give up her seat did spark a much larger issue, and good for her!  But in her own words, her reason at the time was simply that she was really tired.  And to me, that's a perfectly valid reason for any person to want a seat on the bus.  I mean, I'm no spring chicken, but I'd gladly give up my seat to someone who looked about ready to drop from exhaustion.

I guess my basic point is that while rules of conduct are useful most of the time, life isn't like poker, where a straight flush always beats four of a kind.  There are exceptions in life, and the exceptions may not be obvious.  I'm sure you already know that, so you thought I was arguing with your principles, but that's all I meant, there are some exceptions.

• Like 2

It could also be a difference in the way we see things. I think you would have had to be on the bus with me to see directly what I was talking about. Certainly wouldn't assume an elderly person wants a riding cart. However I have a deep conviction about respecting my elders & any incident where it seems to me that they are being mistreated, the hulk awakens. I personally think that's a good thing. If I get old, I'd appreciate people standing up/speaking/defending/protecting me.

• Like 1

Well of course see things differently -- you're an ENFP and I'm an INTP!  So yes, that's probably part of it.  I'm glad there are crusaders, but that doesn't mean I always agree with them!

Also, as you say, I wasn't there, so I was speaking only in generalities.  I'd still be willing to bet that at least one of the people you wrote off as rude and thoughtless did actually have a good reason for needing a seat, but that's just statistics.  You were undoubtedly right about most of them.

• Like 2

We also had all the usual things -- swings, teeter-totters (see-saws), and a slide -- and even those would probably be illegal nowadays. ...designed to be sturdy and childproof rather than safe.  But somehow we survived.  Maybe kids were tougher back then.  Or maybe we just had to depend on our own judgement.  If kids are always told what to do just because they're kids, then how will they ever learn to think when they're the adults who have to tell their own kids what to do?

It's a bit BS-y how it was for me in elementary school. There was a mini merry-go-round thing that was lime green that was taken out when five kids got tiny little bruises/splinters from flying off and hitting the wood chips. Then recess stopped being fun. The only redeeming part of the school day for me and many others was recess and spinning round and round at a zillion miles per hour.

• Like 3

Seems like most of the parks have slides still (if they have anything). It's all that big jungle gym kind of stuff these days, for climbing in and out of. The slides are really short and not very slick, you can't build up much momentum.

Still see swings, but I can't remember the last time I saw a see saw. See?

I've never seen a merry go round like that, it looks awesome! :D

• Like 1

Well I - have. - In the voice of Irene Adler.

I dunno, I never flew off of one of those merry-go-round thingies.

I remember the merry go round thingy, I was like 6 or 7 years old, & like a middle schooler was turning it way to fast. I flew off that thing & half my butt cheek was skinned off. Because it was positioned on gravel pavement. I had blacked that out till now. Traumatizing childhood memories. :(:cry:

My worst experience on our merry-go-round was one of the big kids sitting next to me every day and pinching me.  I told Mom about it, and she said, "He just wants to see you cry."  So next time he sat by me, I decided I would NOT cry.  He pinched and pinched, and I ended up with a huge bruise -- but he never pinched me again.  Moms are pretty smart!

• Like 1

Skydiving, paragliding, and horseback riding in New Zealand. Yes, I count horseback riding in with the others. I was (and still am) a complete novice, and this guide took me up and down steep hills with nothing more than his instructions to help me. One of the most exciting things I've done! I enjoyed it a lot more than skydiving, though I'm glad I've tried that as well.

• Like 1

Skydiving, paragliding, and horseback riding in New Zealand. Yes, I count horseback riding in with the others. I was (and still am) a complete novice, and this guide took me up and down steep hills with nothing more than his instructions to help me. One of the most exciting things I've done! I enjoyed it a lot more than skydiving, though I'm glad I've tried that as well.

You know I used to want to skydive, but recently @ a Cincinnati Reds (professional baseball) game I was seated in one of the handicapped sections per I had a panic attack in the stadium seating. I felt like I was falling. I guess because it was really steep.

I've been on roller coasters! I was like what?!? So I don't know if it had to do with the angle of the seating or if I've developed a new fear as I've aged??

Any who... Yay! Skydiver. Horseback riding does sound thrilling, would love to try it someday. Hmmm may be a good girlfriend time... You know with my girlfriends.

• Like 1

I've tried horseback riding a couple of times with someone else holding the reins, and that is just not the same experience - at all. But this guide who just instructed me and let me handle the reins myself, that was great.

• Like 1

I've never been on a horse horse, just a pony ride when I was four and another one just a week ago at at fair.

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of man he turned out to be?

I think I saw him at an alumni dinner once, so at least he's apparently not anti-social.  Other than that, I had no interest in finding out!

You know I used to want to skydive, but recently @ a Cincinnati Reds (professional baseball) game I was seated in one of the handicapped sections per I had a panic attack in the stadium seating. I felt like I was falling. I guess because it was really steep.

I've been on roller coasters! I was like what?!? So I don't know if it had to do with the angle of the seating or if I've developed a new fear as I've aged??

That does happen -- it's called common sense!

I used to be the best tree-climber in the neighborhood. On a maple, I would trust limbs the size of my thumb, as long as I kept my foot pressed against the trunk, so I could go most of the way to the top. Gave my mother heart attacks! We don't have any good climbing trees here, and my old buddies at Mom's house are all gone. But I kinda doubt that I'd care to climb that high any more!

• Like 1