Have a Chat Room party!

Moderator Comment:

Added later:  The forum's chat function has been disabled due to lack of interest.

Now that the Chat Room seems to be working well, let's have some parties in there!

Since there's a five-people-at-a-time limit, and since we're spread all over the globe in different time zones, some advance planning seems advisable.  So -- who's interested, what time zone are you in, and what times/days are you generally available?  You can either propose a party right now, or just indicate your general interest.

Though a regular big ol' chat is certainly an option, you might also want to consider a theme party.  For example, some people are organizing DVD-episode-watching parties, where we all hit "play" on the count of three and comment as we watch.

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone of the US (UK time minus 5 hours), and with enough advance notice, I'm available from noon to midnight just about any day except Saturdays (when I visit Mom).

Added:

If a group of you are planning a chat party, please reserve your time slot in the "Chat Room sign-up sheet" thread.

It's still fine (and even encouraged!) to just drop by the chat room to see if anyone's there.  But if you find a group in session (especially one that's signed up for the time slot), please ask whether you may join them.  And if you're in the chat room when a reserved group shows up, please be good enough to come back later.  Thanks!

I'm joining a DVD viewing and discussion of TGG on Saturday in the Chat forum, and would love to join any future discussions of any other episodes. Looking very much forward to it!

I'm free almost any evening, live in Denmark, UK time +1 hour.

• Like 2

+9.30 GMT 

I'm only here really at night,  so that would be early morning in UK and possibly the day before in USA

Your recent posts (i.e., the past ten days) have virtually all been between 3 and 9 A.M., Eastern Daylight Time (midnight - 6 A.M. on the West Coast), which is between 8 A.M. and 2 P.M. British Summer Time (and an hour later in Europe), with well over half of them between 5 and 6 A.M. EDT (2 - 3 A.M. PDT), or 10 - 11 A.M. BST

Do you folks in Australia do the silly time change in spring and fall?

Interested? Sure.

Available? Well, I work very irregular hours. For example, it is 11:38 in the morning here right now (can anyone figure out my time zone from that?), and I am home. I work shifts (obviously). So potentially, any time of day or night and any day of the week, I could be home - or I could be working!

+9.30 GMT 

I'm only here really at night,  so that would be early morning in UK and possibly the day before in USA

Your recent posts (i.e., the past ten days) have virtually all been between 3 and 9 A.M., Eastern Daylight Time (midnight - 6 A.M. on the West Coast), which is between 8 A.M. and 2 P.M. British Summer Time (and an hour later in Europe), with well over half of them between 5 and 6 A.M. EDT (2 - 3 A.M. PDT), or 10 - 11 A.M. BST

Do you folks in Australia do the silly time change in spring and fall?

We certainly do, well in the state that I am in we do,  some states don't, that starts on Oct 5th, our clocks go forward an hour.

For example, it is 11:38 in the morning here right now (can anyone figure out my time zone from that?), and I am home.

CET (Central European Time), the same as here.

I'm interested too. I'm usually available between 7 PM and 10 PM CET. Well, I can be on the forum basically all day but I'm usually on my phone at work.

Available? Well, I work very irregular hours. For example, it is 11:38 in the morning here right now (can anyone figure out my time zone from that?), and I am home. I work shifts (obviously). So potentially, any time of day or night and any day of the week, I could be home - or I could be working!

How far in advance do you generally know when you'll be working?

How far in advance do you generally know when you'll be working?

Unfortunately, not very far. Our shift plans are made fairly late, and even then they are subject to changes. Besides, I am one of the few without kids, so I'm usually the first person who is expected to be flexible...

Well, then, are you at least guaranteed a certain number of days off per week (even if you don't know very far ahead of time which days they'll be)?

Um... sort of... I'm not supposed to work more than 60 hours a week, lets put it that way. And I get at least one day off (I have to, or else I'd go round the bed - today I got home at 1:30 a.m. my time, feeling as if my head was about to explode. But don't get me wrong, I like to work in general. I was born a worker, I think. I used to say with Sherlock "all that matters is the work", but then I found that love is even better. Oh dear, I'm becoming very sappy now. But it's true. Priorities change...).

• Like 2

Well, then maybe a group of us with flexible schedules can plan a get-together during, say, a particular week, and we'll home in on a specific day when you know your actual schedule.  As mentioned, I'm generally available any afternoon/evening except Saturday, and I believe some other people said they're available just about any evening.

If a group of you are planning a chat party, please reserve your time slot in the "Chat Room sign-up sheet" thread.

It's still fine (and even encouraged!) to just drop by the chat room to see if anyone's there.  But if you find a group in session (especially one that's signed up for the time slot), please ask whether you may join them.  And if you're in the chat room when a reserved group shows up, please be good enough to come back later.  Thanks!

• Like 2

So I just put in for live chat sign up, posted as follows:

Okay, Carol:

I'd like to plan one October 4, Saturday from 12p - 4p US eastern Standard time. To watch and discuss either HOB or SIB. Guess whoever would like to join me could let me know what they'd prefer.

OK, it's on the calendar!

Anyone who's planning an international chat party, please note that most countries will be setting their clocks back sometime in the next couple of months -- but they don't all change at once.  So make certain that you're actually talking about the same time!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My schedule looks like I'll be able to do the chat party if there's still room.

Yeah I was trying to find the calendar, to see what slots are filled. Couldn't find it so I sent personal invites to the first respondents, if any of them are unable to make it, I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I would love to arrange a chat room discussion of The Empty Hearse on Saturday 15 or Sunday 16 November. Of course I'm open to other suggestions - this is just a starting point.

I'm thinking we can watch our DVDs and pause whenever people have a question or comment - just like some of us have done in previous chat room discussions.

Since I live in Denmark, the best time for me would be to start between 10am-7pm GMT in the weekends, or 3pm-6pm GMT Monday-Friday. That is if we assume that the discussion lasts about 4 hours.

Let me know if you're interested in joining!

Susanne

• Like 1

I'm interested.  Nov. 15 works better for me starting about 2pm GMT.

• Like 1