Where Did Sherlock live before 221b?

Convict13

I was re-watching The Blind Banker a day or so ago and Sebastian says that he hasn't seen Sherlock for nearly 8 years since leaving Uni,  now Sherlock only just moved into 221b the episode before, which we could say was a few weeks ago in the series.  So where was he living before I wonder?  With Mycroft?  

I think he'd rather join the Homeless Network than live with Mycroft :lol:. According to Sherlock's home page (scroll down to last post), it was Montague Street.

• Like 3

Sherlock was doing his forensic experiments there as well and the landlord took exception to it all and threatened eviction if he didn't stop. Like that was ever going to happen.

Apparently he actually was "homeless" for a while:

Do not send post to my Montague Street address. Disagreement with landlord. No longer there. New address to follow.

Wonder where he was hanging out then?  Train stations?  (Believe me, it's nearly impossible to sleep in a British train station.  They apparently design the benches that way on purpose.)  Bart's?  (Maybe Molly lets him borrow a drawer?  :P )

Anyone know whether Montague Street is canon?

P.S.:  There are two Montague Streets in Central London.  One is very short (only one block) but it's adjacent to Bart's, so that sounds like a good prospect.  The other (also just a single block) is alongside the British Museum.  Now something is tickling the back of my brain -- wasn't there something in canon about Holmes having lived near the British Museum?  Can anyone place that?

Hah!  Found this with Google:

When I first came up to London I had rooms in Montague Street, just round the corner from the British Museum.

Judging by the author's comments surrounding that quote, I think it's from "The Gloria Scott."  I can look it up later if no one else has done so by then.

• Like 1

Also ran across this blogger's homemade walking tour of Holmes's London, which looks well worth reading (and mentions that Conan Doyle had lived in the same neighborhood when he first moved to London).

• Like 1

When I first came up to London I had rooms in Montague Street, just round the corner from the British Museum, and there I waited, filling in my too abundant leisure time by studying all those branches of science which might make me more efficient.  Now and again cases came in my way, principally through the introduction of old fellow-students, for during my last years at the university there was a good deal of talk there about myself and my methods.  The third of these cases was that of the Musgrave Ritual, and it is to the interest which was aroused by that singular chain of events, and the large issues which proved to be at stake, that I trace my first stride towards the position which I now hold.

OK, that isn't from "The Gloria Scott" after all (though in that story Holmes does mention "working out a few experiments in organic chemistry" in his "London rooms").  It is, of course, actually from "The Musgrave Ritual," another prior case that Holmes tells Watson about.

• Like 3

Ooohhh I don't know, I might be :D

But anywho.....I always thought Holmes had to be homeless at some point. How else would he get to know them and they to trust him enough to want to work with him?

• Like 1

Oh, Arcadia, I like the quote in your signature:

"Understanding something doesn't mean you have to believe in it." -- my Dad

(And of course vice-versa is a perfectly valid point as well.)

One of my father's best quotes was, "Not bragging, just facing facts."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very inquisitive mind.  There are a lot of things I don't ask because I feel it is not my place do to the nature of the relationship with the other person (ie not close enough friends).  But I will look things up online if I can.  My phone's browser has multiple pages up.  1 is to google & another to IMDb.

Also it is possible that he was homeless for a night or 2 or stayed with friends.  I had friends from university that were technically homeless for a night because they were moving from 1 apartment to another.  They had to be out at the end of the month from the first place and couldn't move in until the 1st of the next month.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very inquisitive mind.  There are a lot of things I don't ask because I feel it is not my place do to the nature of the relationship with the other person (ie not close enough friends).  But I will look things up online if I can.  My phone's browser has multiple pages up.  1 is to google & another to IMDb.

Also it is possible that he was homeless for a night or 2 or stayed with friends.  I had friends from university that were technically homeless for a night because they were moving from 1 apartment to another.  They had to be out at the end of the month from the first place and couldn't move in until the 1st of the next month.

ehm, sherlock staying with friends..?

friends..?

before john..?  :rolleyes:

sorry, I couldn't resist  :P

• Like 1

Of course replace friends with acquaintances as it is Sherlock but still.

• 3 months later...

Well, if you go by the book, the only friend before Dr. Watson was Victor Trevor (Gloria Scott). Assorted acquaintances from Oxford threw cases his way, among whom was Reginald Musgrave (The Musgrave Ritual, of the famous indoors shooting practice incident), so Sebastian is presumably among that bunch. As to the location of the previous lodgings, Montague Str. behind the British Museum is mentioned in the same story. However, Mike Stamford should be included, not only because he brings the incongruous pair of friends together, but also because of his working at St. Bartholomew's hospital.

• Like 1

The question was bugging me too, along with: why would Sherlock want share his space with someone else? He doesn't look like he needs money - he doesn't get paid for solving cases, and his wardrobe or his HiFi equipment are not what I would call economically priced. 

Could Mycroft have his fingers in that strange coincidence (and what we know about coincidence?) of two people talking to Mike Stamford about flat sharing...

• Like 1

he doesn't get paid for solving cases, and his wardrobe or his HiFi equipment are not what I would call economically priced.

That was Sally's take on it but historically any work he did for the different New Scotland Yard DI's could very well have carried some kind of stipend from each one for each case.