Andrew Scott in "Pride"

Carol the Dabbler

Sherlockolgy just posted their enthusiastic review of Pride, a new film featuring Andrew Scott (among other familiar names):

pride1.jpg

This is a film set in a particularly British moment of recent history, documenting the true story of the 'Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners' campaign - which raised money to help families affected by the UK miner's strike in 1984 and protested against widespread pit closures. The narrative balances prejudice with friendship, humour with heartbreak and loss with hope, and does so with such lightness of touch that by the time the credits roll you are not ready to leave this band of brothers and sisters quite yet.

The film is currently playing in the UK, and will be released in the US this coming Friday, the 19th.  You can read the entire review here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went and saw the movie Pride yesterday which I really enjoyed. U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984. Andrew Scott plays activist Gethin who has moved to London from Wales, I was impressed by his performance and in particular his Welsh accent, until I found out he was supposed to be from North Wales and he is doing a South Wales accent. :P

I absolutely adored this film! It was so moving and a good giggle in places. I was in tears at the end as well. It was a truly lovely way to tell a fantastic story and I can't wait to own it on DVD. And of course I loved Andrew Scott in it. His character just grabbed my heart! It's a truly poingnant film and I would highly recommend it! I loved it!

• 11 months later...

I finally got round to watching this. And oh my god, it's been a long while since I saw anything I liked this much. It's a real feel-good movie, but with actors who look like real people and locations that look like actual places. It's also really moving. I kind of knew how it would end, but I cried buckets as the credits rolled anyway.

Everybody go watch it, not just for Andrew Scott or to see Dolores Umbridge as a nice person. It's seriously a really wonderful movie that tells a very heartwarming story.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've seen this movie several times over the past few days and I find it lovely. It's heartwarming and important. Despite previously having worked within the LGBT movement in Sweden, I hadn't ever heard of the connection between the British lesbian and gay activists and the mining strike in the 80's (hadn't even heard of the mining strike prior to the movie, it took a while until I realized it was based upon a true story - it just seemed too random). It was great fun to watch the movie and read up on the whole issue to educate myself a bit, having Andrew there was a great bonus. 

I rewatch this about once a month lately. It's become a favorite. It makes me cry, but not in a sad way. For example, that scene where the women stand up and sing the song about bred and roses? That gives me the chills.

I also really like Steph. Love the scene where Bromley spends the night at her place. "If we were normal, this is when we would kiss" :lol: :wub:

I rewatch this about once a month lately. It's become a favorite. It makes me cry, but not in a sad way. For example, that scene where the women stand up and sing the song about bred and roses? That gives me the chills.

I also really like Steph. Love the scene where Bromley spends the night at her place. "If we were normal, this is when we would kiss" :lol: :wub:

Me too! It's really moving. The march at the ending does it for me. 

It's really expected to happen - but when the banner with the hands shows up my eyes water a bit every time.

I too love Steph, and I kind of ship her and Bromley together.  :D