General Tolkien Discussion (books, movies & TV)

T.o.b.y

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well, yes and no.  There might be characters who are genetically hobbits, but in the Second Age they could not be Shire hobbits -- more like proto-hobbits, by which I mean their culture would be far different.  Whereas Tolkien based his late-Third-Age hobbit culture on rural England circa 1900, their Second-Age counterparts would presumably be more like Anglo-Saxons.

Is that so important, though? I imagine they'd still be simple but sturdy; fond of food and humor. Not particularly advanced architecturally, I suppose. No Bag End type opulence. Guess we'll find out. Or not, actually. XD 

I seriously doubt that there will be any hobbits in the show.  They'll probably focus on more "important" cultures, as I understand Tolkien did in the Silmarillion (not that the show will be based on that book).

On 1/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

They'll probably focus on more "important" cultures,

More important how?  I'm not sure what you mean, but I too doubt there will be hobbits.  Possibly a passing remark or hint at early hobbit culture, but that's the most I'd expect.

If they were going to delve into hobbits, I think there is some history they could explore.  For instance, the hobbits of Hobbiton view those hobbits across the Brandywine as less sophisticated, more worldly-wise, and "odd"; the latter mainly for being unafraid to go out on the water.  I think it was said that Smeagol, centuries past, belonged to the "River Folk", a hobbit-like people very fond of water.  There's probably an ancient link there that they could get away with showing in the Second Age.

I've always been interested in the history of Bree, how Men and Hobbits came to live together there, and its unique function as a crossroad for travellers and an independent city of trade.  If memory serves, Bree was established in the Second Age, but I don't think hobbits arrived there until sometime in the Third Age.  However, I've heard speculation based on the maps Amazon released that the series may delve into the war between the Witch-King of Angmar and the Dunedain; which, if true, opens it up to the possibility of seeing hobbits in Bree, or even in the war.

They could possibly also explore the hobbits' connection to the people of Rohan, or the development of the three "clans" so to speak (Harfoots, Fallohides, and Stoors).

As far as non-hobbit things I'd be interested to see, I read an article suggesting they could show the Blue Wizards, which I think would be really cool if done right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

More important how?

Hobbits are physically the smallest people in Middle Earth, they're homebodies, and before Frodo and Sam saved the world, the other races seemed to pay little attention to them (which apparently suited the hobbits just fine).  I don't think that makes them less important (which is why I put the word "important" in quotes), but the other folks in Middle Earth seem to consider the elves and the various tribes of humans to be far more important from a political point of view.  That's what I meant.

I think it was said that Smeagol, centuries past, belonged to the "River Folk", a hobbit-like people very fond of water.  There's probably an ancient link there that they could get away with showing in the Second Age.

Good point.  I don't recall the figures (if any exact ones were given), but Smeagol and his kin might be from just about the right era.  I don't think he was ever said to have been a hobbit as such, but similar.  It'd be cool if they could get Andy Serkis (I loved his live-action portrayal of Smeagol), but I ain't holding my breath for that.

I've always been interested in the history of Bree, how Men and Hobbits came to live together there, and its unique function as a crossroad for travellers and an independent city of trade.  If memory serves, Bree was established in the Second Age, but I don't think hobbits arrived there until sometime in the Third Age. 

I'm pretty sure you're right -- OK, here's what Tolkien Gateway has:

The Bree-land area was settled in the Second Age by Men from Dunland. [....]

Around T.A. 1300 Bree, as well as Staddle, saw the arrival of the Hobbits who were fleeing from Angmar. In T.A. 1601 a large population of Hobbits left Bree and went west beyond Baranduin and founded a new country within Arthedain, The Shire.[3]

I read an article suggesting they could show the Blue Wizards....

I'm pretty sure that the reason Gandalf "forgot" their names in the first Hobbit movie is that Jackson didn't have the rights to whatever book they're from.  So if the article you quoted on Friday has it straight, then the new series won't be able to elaborate either:

Amazon's rights to Tolkien's work are the same rights that producer Saul Zaentz bought in the 1970s, leading both to Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord Of the Rings and eventually to Peter Jackson's films. These rights only include material from The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. So anything that's mentioned in those books (including Lord Of the Rings' lengthy appendices) is fair game....

Too bad, but it's looking like the new series will be essentially information from the Appendices plus some historical bits and pieces from The Hobbit and LotR plus stuff that's been made up specifically for the show.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:02 PM, Artemis said:

I've always been interested in the history of Bree, how Men and Hobbits came to live together there, and its unique function as a crossroad for travellers and an independent city of trade.  If memory serves, Bree was established in the Second Age, but I don't think hobbits arrived there until sometime in the Third Age.  However, I've heard speculation based on the maps Amazon released that the series may delve into the war between the Witch-King of Angmar and the Dunedain; which, if true, opens it up to the possibility of seeing hobbits in Bree, or even in the war.

I kind of like this idea, although the war part could get pretty boring pretty quick, since our side basically lost. :smile:  

What I'd really enjoy seeing is Bandobras Took inventing golf, but I'm not sure that's in the 2nd Age. :D 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It's "Tolkien Reading Day!"

As if reading my mind, the Tolkien Society raises the question "Why 25 March?" and then explains, "The 25th of March is the date of the downfall of the Lord of the Rings (Sauron) and the fall of Barad-dûr. It’s as simple as that!"

I'm more inclined to celebrate September 22nd, Bilbo's (and Frodo's) birthday, but I sure don't mind another reason to celebrate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fun thing is, my husband and I have our wedding anniversary today (21st) and we had no idea that we exchanged rings on the day that a different one was destroyed. :lol:

• Haha 3

We've been watching Star Trek: Next Generation on DVD, and sometimes Miles O'Brien looks like a hobbit to me:

Personagens+da+Nova+Gera%C3%A7%C3%A3o+-+    obrien4.jpg    star_trek_ds9_miles_edward_o_brien_by_ib  

Sometimes his ears even look a bit pointed.  I haven't seen Colm Meaney in much else, but as O'Brien he kinda reminds me of Sean Astin's Sam Gamgee.  Does anyone else have that reaction?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always thought he had a Hobbity look myself, but mostly I just see someone who appears stereotypically Irish, lol.  (Which is almost sorta the same thing, I guess.)

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I always thought he had a Hobbity look myself, but mostly I just see someone who appears stereotypically Irish, lol.  (Which is almost sorta the same thing, I guess.)

Well, hobbits do love potatoes.  :D  And green is one of their favorite colors.  Hmm...  Wonder if Tolkien had that in mind?

But I think it's mostly some of the expressions on O'Brien's face.

On 3/27/2020 at 2:12 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

he kinda reminds me of Sean Astin's Sam Gamgee.  Does anyone else have that reaction?

Well, I never did before, but I will now. :D 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Some sad news:  Sir Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in Lord of the Rings, passed on a couple of weeks ago at age 88.  You can read his obituary here.

00holm01-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&aut

WEB3-IAN-HOLMES-THE-HOBBIT-LORD-OF-THE-R

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...

Ah, I think I remember seeing that. Thanks for posting. He made a good older Bilbo.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry not sorry guys, don't get offended as it's for fun (duck tomatoes).

I haven't been trying to get on it, have watched only the first movie, and bits of second. Not my cup of tea, but I do get curious sometimes about the hype, like what is actually going on in the story.

I enjoy this guy's work for fun, and evaluate them from time to time about movies I had seen or those that I don't plan on seeing. They could be funny and spot on, although some of it can only be appreciated once you are quite familar. This is not his best work, but at least I got a bit of extra knowledge! For example I always think Bilbo is played by Martin Freeman, because I read it in some threads here, and then got surprised when it's older hobbit, and then ooowwww when I know Hobbit is a prequel.

4 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I always think Bilbo is played by Martin Freeman, because I read it in some threads here, and then got surprised when it's older hobbit, and then ooowwww when I know Hobbit is a prequel.

The Hobbit is not a prequel -- The Lord of the Rings is a sequel!   :soapbox:  

Well, at least that's true of the books.  When Peter Jackson made the movies, he had trouble getting the legal rights to The Hobbit, so he did LotR first, and then finally got the rights to do The Hobbit, so he did turn the Hobbit movies into kind of a prequel -- which is another gripe of mine.  If you want to see The Hobbit more or less as JRR Tolkien wrote the story -- well, you can read the book -- but if you want it on film, I definitely recommend the four-hour cut that I linked to a while back on the Hobbit thread:

On 12/29/2020 at 9:59 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Would you settle for four hours and twenty minutes?  Alex found a good distilled version online, here:

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html

Alex says you need to download a special app before you can download the movie.  Then the actual download takes quite a while, of course, and takes up nearly ten gig on your disc (it's hi-def), so make sure you've got room for it before you start the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, SherlockandKey said:

I loved Faramir and Boromir. I want to read the books just because they get more time. Boromir being the first one out and the only one to die was tough.

Faramir has always been my favorite character in the books. Which I guess is a bit odd, since he's a relatively minor character, but there you go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Faramir has always been my favorite character in the books. Which I guess is a bit odd

He's one of my favorite characters in the movies.  (Of course I have a lot of favorite characters in the movies.)

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 12:08 AM, Arcadia said:

Faramir has always been my favorite character in the books. Which I guess is a bit odd, since he's a relatively minor character, but there you go. 

I'm a much bigger fan of the minor characters in most works myself because there's so much mystery and intrigue surrounding them. I bet if we knew more about Faramir, saw more of his story, etc. I, for one, would probably be less interested in him.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, SherlockandKey said:

I'm a much bigger fan of the minor characters in most works myself because there's so much mystery and intrigue surrounding them. I bet if we knew more about Faramir, saw more of his story, etc. I, for one, would probably be less interested in him.

Good point; familiarity doth sometimes breed contempt... :smile: Still, in this case, I think it's just because I'm a sucker for guys who are both competent and virtuous; but humble about it. :D 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I'm a sucker for guys who are both competent and virtuous; but humble about it.

Me too.  In a pinch, competence is adequate (as long as he's not a total jerk).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1