General Tolkien Discussion (books, movies & TV)

T.o.b.y

On 4/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

Copied over from another thread.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I've felt like every fantasy story written in the last 50-60 years is a pastiche of Middle-Earth. :(

• 7 months later...

A theater in Regina, Saskatchewan is staging a production of The Hobbit through most of December.  It sounds pretty good -- wish I lived a bit closer!

• Like 2

Be careful what you wish for! I was so excited when I saw that the arts center where I teach was producing "The Hobbit" … the stage is right above my classroom, so we get to hear a lot of the rehearsals. Alas, it was a musical version … with some of the most boring music I have ever heard, sung by … ugh … children. Atonal children. It was agonizing.

Right now they're rehearsing "A Christmas Carol", with people who can actually sing … I'm not fond of amateur productions, but the singing we hear filtering down from upstairs is so good, I might be tempted to try this one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I don't understand what sort of movie (TV show?) this is intended to be.  Does it depict Tolkien's life (or a portion thereof)?  Or is it about Middle Earth?

It’s a movie, which I believe is supposed to be like a Tolkien biography, and more specifically about the life experiences that influenced his works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooooh. Will it be in theaters, or on TV? I hope the former, or I probably won't get to see it.

According to IMDb, Tolkien is completed and due for US release on May 10th.

I checked out the cast, but the only name I recognize offhand is Colm Meaney.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

IMDb now lists several theatrical release dates:

Finland 3 May 2019

UK 3 May 2019

Slovakia 9 May 2019

USA 10 May 2019

Netherlands 6 June 2019

France 19 June 2019

Germany 20 June 2019

Portugal 20 June 2019

Bulgaria 21 June 2019

Lithuania 21 June 2019

Turkey 5 July 2019

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

According to IMDb, Tolkien is completed and due for US release on May 10th.

I checked out the cast, but the only name I recognize offhand is Colm Meaney.

I recognized the name Nicholas Hoult, but don't remember seeing him in anything (although his credits include the X-Men movies, some of which I've seen.) But then I realized I knew his name from the still-unreleased "The Current War." He plays Tesla to BC's Edison. 

• Like 1

Reasons why Viggo Mortensen is Argorn, son of Arathorn.

"#6: you know that scene at the end of Fellowship when he’s fighting the Uruk-hai? And one throws a dagger at him and he hits it away with his sword? Yeah, the guy who threw it was supposed to miss, but accidentally threw it directly at Viggo. Who just casually Aragorned and hit it away."

^ That's awesome, lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just got an ad on IMDb reminding me that Tolkien (the movie) is due "in theaters everywhere" on May 10th.  Apparently (judging by the list of release dates I posted (above) in March, "everywhere" in this case means everywhere in the United States.

That's just over a week away -- so it's almost time to see which local theaters are going to show it!

bc44bd8150ee9dcaa15e0d835449970c--viggo-

Oh, there were stories about Viggo… :D One of them about him wandering in the woods until nightfall - and getting lost in the dark. He tried to find his way using his camera's flash - which resulted in interesting photographs that lured me into the fandom.

Do you know that he didn't read the book until on the plane to NZ and it was actually his son who talked him into taking the last-minute replacement role for… erm… someone else whom I deleted.
He bought the horse who played Brego, his horse on set, and also the white "Asphaloth" for Liv Tyler's stunt double. I have an archive on these stories, so beware. :P

PS: can you imagine - you are a tourist making a snow hiking tour in the New Zealand mountains and suddenly you see a beeping knight climbing the slope.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's just over a week away -- so it's almost time to see which local theaters are going to show it!

My local theater has a special 'pre-screening' on May 7th, so I'm gonna try to get tickets for that.  I'm probably more excited for this movie than anyone reasonably should be, lol.

• Like 1

There were ads for several times on local TV tonite, so I assume that means it's on its way here! 

Added: Yep … it's coming to a theater near me on Thursday, at 6 p.m. Guess where I'll be. :smile: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We just saw the movie this evening.  I liked it well enough, though (much like LotR) there were too many battle scenes for my taste.  But it ended as you might expect :smile: (which was my favorite part).

Will be interested in Arcadia's analysis.