Sign in to follow this  
T.o.b.y

General Tolkien Discussion (books, movies & TV)

We might be talking about two slightly different things. What I read (and who knows, at this point, what my source was) (or how accurate it was) that he intended the 6 books/appendices, but he meant for them to be published in a single large volume. But due to the cost of publishing at the time, the publisher chose to put them in three volumes. I can't remember who came up with the titles for each volume. As many besides me have pointed out, "Two Towers" is confusing (which two?) and "RotK" gives away the ending. Which makes me think that someone who never read them chose the titles..... 🤷‍♀️

So, the seven-volume set … does each volume have it's own title? It looks like "The Ring Sets Out" may be the title of the first volume? Which also somewhat gives away the plot.... as we don't know, going in, that the ring is important. Just sayin'. :smile: 

At any rate … yeah, too pricey for me, but it does sound like fun to have each book in a separate volume. Makes more sense, too. Oh dear, now I'm lusting after a 7-volume set as well....

• Like 1

I'd never noticed, but yes, each of the seven volumes has its own title:

1.  The Ring Sets Out
  2.  The Ring Goes South
  3.  The Treason of Isengard
  4.  The Ring Goes East
  5.  The End of the Third Age
  6.  The War of the Ring
  7.  Appendices

I have no idea who came up with those, but I figure Tolkien himself is a good bet -- or at least far more likely than with the "trilogy."

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It looks like "The Ring Sets Out" may be the title of the first volume? Which also somewhat gives away the plot.... as we don't know, going in, that the ring is important.

Well, the overall title could be considered a clue.  ;)

• Thanks 1

Well, that's confusing. I thought the Third Age ended when Sauron fell? Or when Aragorn was crowned? Or when everyone hopped on the ships at the Grey Havens? Something in Book 6, at any rate.

Well, according to Appendix B, the Third Age ended on September 29, SR 1421, with the departure of Bilbo and Frodo from the Grey Havens.  Maybe Book 5 was the beginning of the end?