General Tolkien Discussion (books, movies & TV)

T.o.b.y

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

In the Hobbit, there was Bard, and, um ... a lot of extras whose names and appearance are, er, irrelevant (sorry, bit players!) Oh, the weasly guy, who was far from pretty. Ditto the mayor.

Those I can tell apart!  It was mostly in LotR that I had trouble.  And in most episodes of Murder, She Wrote.

Faramir and Boromir could be mistaken for each other, maybe, but Boromir's dead at the end of the first movie,

Yeah, mostly them, as I recall.  Partly because I was distracted by wondering why their parents named them after pigs.  (Logically their sister would be Sowamir.)  And there's also the nice guy who's holding hands with what's her name at the end -- unless that's Faramir.  (It might have helped if I'd remembered more from the book.  Then again, knowing Jackson's habits, maybe not.)

Now, telling the Dwarves apart ... that is hard! Bombur's the fat one, Fili's the pretty one, Thorin's the one on screen the most. ...  after that, you got me. Oh, Balin's the white-haired one. And Gimli's the only one.

You forgot Kili, the other pretty one.  I can tell them apart by their hair color, but never can recall which name goes with which dwarf.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 6:30 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:
On 6/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, Arcadia said:

In the Hobbit, there was Bard, and, um ... a lot of extras whose names and appearance are, er, irrelevant (sorry, bit players!) Oh, the weasly guy, who was far from pretty. Ditto the mayor.

Those I can tell apart!  It was mostly in LotR that I had trouble.  And in most episodes of Murder, She Wrote.

:lol5:

Faramir and Boromir could be mistaken for each other, maybe,

Yeah, mostly them, as I recall.  Partly because I was distracted by wondering why their parents named them after pigs. 

Er.... what???

And there's also the nice guy who's holding hands with what's her name at the end -- unless that's Faramir.

Egad, Dabbler, there's a whole chapter dedicated to the romance between Faramir and what's-her-name! Although, to be fair, that part was left out of the movie...... 

Now, telling the Dwarves apart ... that is hard! Bombur's the fat one, Fili's the pretty one....

You forgot Kili, the other pretty one. 

Eh, to each their own taste.... :P

I was distracted by wondering why their parents named them after pigs.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Er.... what???

City kid, huh?  A "farrow" is a litter of piglets.  I'll admit that's kind of a technical term, but maybe you're aware that a "boar" is an adult male pig (or any wild pig).  So, Boar-o-mir and Farrow-mir.

Wasn't really worth asking, was it?   :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

City kid, huh?  A "farrow" is a litter of piglets.  I'll admit that's kind of a technical term, but maybe you're aware that a "boar" is an adult male pig (or any wild pig).  So, Boar-o-mir and Farrow-mir.

Wasn't really worth asking, was it?   :D

Good lord. :facepalm:

I think you've mistaken this for the puns thread..... :D 

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1