Benedict can't say "penguins"?

sfmpco

Srsly, didn't some of the fans call themselves "Ben-addicts" ? (And I don't know why I put that in the past tense....)

• Like 2

Oh there are so many names his fandom has chosen... Cumberbees, came across a Twitter account called @Cumberfetus which as quite snarky and a little bit mean-spirited, then there's the Facebook page called Benedirt Cumberwhisperer which often places quire x-rated words to his pictures (although the page owners have stopped a bit because their bubble broke with news of his engagement and impending fatherhood).  Seriously, some of the names are so absolutely stupid as to be embarrassing. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For those of us in the USA wanting to buy the BBC documentary series - it's a 6-part series that he narrates, and in the USA it was retitled "Wild Pacific" and can be purchased on eBay although it is mostly available in blue-ray format.  

• Like 1

I was going to ask why you posted that in this thread....

"The Little Red Hen" was (and still is) my very favorite kiddie book, so it was a real pleasure to hear Mr. Cumberbatch read it, even though it's not the version I grew up with.  (At least the moral is the same!)

One of the commenters posted this GIF from the video:

96b6ff2260f730c647c5ae88254d27ce.gif

I caught that too and laughed. Poor guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Benedict.  Hopefully the next time he has to say Penguin for something recorded, he will have it right and if not, someone will catch it and correct it.

I know a gal who for the life of her could not pronounce one particular word that she needed to say in the course of her job, so she hobbled along for years with a silly makeshift pronunciation, saying that it wasn't really all that important.  Then one day, after I hadn't seen her for a while, she "happened" to work that word into a conversation -- perfectly pronounced.  (I think she was showing off!)  She just had to develop the determination to do it.

• Like 1

A bit like my dentist saying "punkins" instead of "pumpkins" while she was working on me, and I was having fits of giggles over it.  I was not a good patient that day.

• Like 2

As long as you did not bite her. I had a dentist years ago I accidentally closed my jaw on his fingers 3 different times. Thankfully not hard but still. I even got a card the last time. But I have heard punkin over the years. Even I've aaid it on occasion even though I usually pronounce it correctly.

I sometimes refer to little kids as punkins.  My brother's nickname from my grandfather was "punkin seed" for years.

I sometimes refer to little kids as punkins. My brother's nickname from my grandfather was "punkin seed" for years.

That's where I hear most often, as a nickname. I couldn't place outside of the punkin chunkin' that discovery channel airs after thanksgiving.

Right -- "punkin" is not a mispronunciation, it's a colloquial pronunciation (perhaps regional), especially common as a term of endearment or nickname.  I knew a girl in college who always went by "Punky," which was short for "Punkin" (and later on there was a television character named Punky Brewster, presumably no relation).

• 1 month later...

I disabled my text function ages ago, but I may have to re-enable it just for this! :D

The word is Indubitably: that cannot be doubted; patently evident or certain; unquestionable.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's that word I can't pronounce! :D

• Like 1

There was a cartoon I used to watch as a kid (& I don't remember what it was called) where 1 of the characters would say that word repeatedly in each episode.

• Like 1