Benedict can't say "penguins"?

sfmpco

Oh yeah! Hm. I can't remember which one it was either.... Snagglepuss, maybe?

It was some cartoon with a dog that was a deputy.

There was a cartoon I used to watch as a kid (& I don't remember what it was called) where 1 of the characters would say that word repeatedly in each episode.

That does sound like him -- but the consensus on the internet is that it was "the Goofy Gophers" -- whom I do not remember at all (though they look to me like a rip-off of Chip 'n' Dale).

That would presumably have been [ta-da!] Deputy Dawg.  Can't speak for his vocabulary, though, as I barely remember him.

There was a cartoon I used to watch as a kid (& I don't remember what it was called) where 1 of the characters would say that word repeatedly in each episode.

That does sound like him -- but the consensus on the internet is that it was "the Goofy Gophers" -- whom I do not remember at all (though they look to me like a rip-off of Chip 'n' Dale).

That would presumably have been [ta-da!] Deputy Dawg.  Can't speak for his vocabulary, though, as I barely remember him.

Deputy Dawg came to mind but I couldn't remember if that was the correct name for the show at least because he didn't say it but one of the other animal characters did.

Yeah, it's that word I can't pronounce! :D

Dick Van Dyke says it in "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Must watch Mary Poppins again sometime as I vaguely recall him saying that.

I dare you to type that three times fast! :D

• Like 1

I dare you to type that three times fast! :D

I sang that song in 3rd grade along with a bunch of other Disney songs that were made famous before my time and I still remember the 1st verse fairly accurately after 28 years.   (Now if only I wold remember to drink enough water everyday.)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

:lol: He really can't say it... I finally watched that movie (being ill creates an even stronger need for silly kiddie movies in me than usual). And he has to try a lot in that film. But he never gets it right.

It was rather cute, actually. Better than I had expected. But maybe my judgment is just clouded by too many cough drops...

:lol: He really can't say it... I finally watched that movie (being ill creates an even stronger need for silly kiddie movies in me than usual). And he has to try a lot in that film. But he never gets it right.

It was rather cute, actually. Better than I had expected. But maybe my judgment is just clouded by too many cough drops...

I'm hoping to see the movie soon (can't afford to buy it yet).  I decided I like the mispronunciation so much that I put it in one of my Sherlock's Sick one-shots.

I loved it! Laughed my head off (and not just at poor BC's verbal gaffs). Even my cynical siblings laughed at it when they were here for my birthday, and that's saying a lot.

I assume y'all are talking about Penguins of Madagascar?  (As opposed to the serious wildlife movie that triggered this thread)

I assume y'all are talking about Penguins of Madagascar?  (As opposed to the serious wildlife movie that triggered this thread)

Can't we keep it completely ambiguous as I need to see both Penguins of Madagascar and Wild (South) Pacific?

I didn't think South Pacific / Wild Pacific was supposed to be hilarious, though!

Technically no, but hearing pengwings/penglings several times can be kind of humorous (Sorry Benedict for the laugh at your expense).

Whooops! Yes, we are. Well, at least I was. I was lying in bed late last night, unable to go to sleep because of the coughing, and thought, I really want to watch something silly and light-hearted right now. Preferably an animated kids movie. And I ended up with Penguins of Madagascar. Seriously, I had forgotten that Benedict Cumberbatch did the voice of the wolf, I just saw silly - cute animals - animation and went for it. When he (well, his voice) showed up, I laughed my head off. First of all, the character is ridiculous in itself and secondly, he really always, always mispronounces "penguins".

Some of the humor was really surprisingly good. And I am now officially in love with - no, not the wolf, although he was fun, but Kowalski. Totally my type! :lol:

• Like 5

Whooops! Yes, we are. Well, at least I was. I was lying in bed late last night, unable to go to sleep because of the coughing, and thought, I really want to watch something silly and light-hearted right now. Preferably an animated kids movie. And I ended up with Penguins of Madagascar. Seriously, I had forgotten that Benedict Cumberbatch did the voice of the wolf, I just saw silly - cute animals - animation and went for it. When he (well, his voice) showed up, I laughed my head off. First of all, the character is ridiculous in itself and secondly, he really always, always mispronounces "penguins".

Some of the humor was really surprisingly good. And I am now officially in love with - no, not the wolf, although he was fun, but Kowalski. Totally my type! :lol:

Does he pronounce it incorrectly the same way every time or is he all over the place with his pronunciation like that wildlife show?  lol

Thanks, guys -- I've added this to our Amazon wish list.

Say, do any of you have the DVD or Blu-ray of this?  Are there any extra features?

Whew! For a minute there I thought I had misinterpreted which movie you were referring to, Toby! And I adore Kowalski too.! Although I rather love Derek ... no, Dan ... er, Dave, also. What a nut case.

Does he pronounce it incorrectly the same way every time or is he all over the place with his pronunciation like that wildlife show?  lol

If I remember correctly it was always some version of "pengwings." No penglings. I think. I have to admit, I got so used to it, it started sounding correct to me! :D

Thanks, guys -- I've added this to our Amazon wish list.

Say, do any of you have the DVD or Blu-ray of this?  Are there any extra features?

Yep, DVD, no extras. :(

• Like 1

BC is probably going to single-handedly change the pronuncation.  50 years from now everyone will call them pengwings.

• Like 2

I'm thinking more like 50 weeks.... :P

• Like 2

If I remember correctly it was always some version of "pengwings." No penglings. I think. I have to admit, I got so used to it, it started sounding correct to me! :D

I distinctly heard "penglings" once. They were in some kind of jungle at the time, I think.

That wolf was so incredibly ridiculous, and the mispronunciation of one of the most important words in the movie made him even more so. If I didn't know Benedict Cumberbatch did it wrong in that nature documentary as well, I would have thought he was saying the word wrong on purpose to make the character funnier.

• Like 3