Layla50

Richard Brook can't have been Moriarty?

Hi... not sure where to put this, but I felt the need to share. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the net, and it's driving me bananas. Maybe you have already figured this out, but I think I am seeing proof that Richard Brooks survives the Reichenbach Fall. In the next episode, early on, there is a summary of how the police ended up clearing Sherlock's name. And when they mention Brooks, he is seen being arrested and put in to a police car. Is this just a flashback? Or is he conclusively proved to be someone besides the person who shot himself on the roof? Or maybe that's long been established and I'm just catching up. What do you think?

Hi, Layla50 -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

I don't recall the exact scene you're talking about, but would assume that what they showed in the newscast was archive news footage from Moriarty's arrest at the Tower of London.

• Like 1

You're welcome!  Hope you stick around and post more questions and ideas -- that's what keeps the forum active!

Just watched that section of 3.1...it looks like archival footage from 2.3 as they then show Sherlock & Watson together.  I know somewhere there was a thing about a possible goof with Moriarty & the gun as he falls because we see a left hand showing up in the right side of Sherlock in 2.3/3.1 but that was more than likely Sherlock's hand as he recoils and turns to the right away from Moriarty.  I'm more for the gun w/ blanks and fake blood or following ACD's story of Moriarty having a brother of the same name.

• Like 1

Shooting yourself in the mouth at point-blank range is likely to kill you, even with blanks -- even though there's no actual bullet, there's still a concentrated explosion which very forcefully ejects the wadding that's been keeping the powder in the casing.  So if that was a blank, Moriarty didn't need fake blood.

Someone has suggested that he may have used a sound recording of a gunshot, and fake blood, and I suppose that's possible.  However, it seems likely that Sherlock would have checked the "body," so my money is still on "he's really dead" -- and a brother.

Someone has suggested that he may have used a sound recording of a gunshot, and fake blood, and I suppose that's possible.  However, it seems likely that Sherlock would have checked the "body," so my money is still on "he's really dead" -- and a brother.

I want to welcome Moriarty back to the show in series 4, so my bet is that Moriarty was as well prepared for the roof-top showdown as was Sherlock, having his own "13 possibilities" in mind. And one of them was that he'd have to kill himself, so he faked his own death (with fake blood obviously, but I wouldn't know about the details). He was sure that Sherlock wouldn't check his body in much detail because Sherlock was under pressure to kill himself in order to stop the snipers killing his friends.

Whichever way they've decided to take the plot, I wouldn't be surprised if they toyed with us a bit more before actually telling us.  I kind of expect to see a bit more "is he or isn't he?"

Must have been wishful thinking on my part. also want him to come back. He is just so much fun. I was heartbroken when he shot himself... and yet, intrigued and delighted. It was theatrically perfect, but I didn't want to see him go. He has so much potential. The psychological stuff with him chained up in the dungeon of Sherlock's mind... like Sherlock could so easily be Moriarty if that chain snapped.

• Like 1

Whichever way they've decided to take the plot, I wouldn't be surprised if they toyed with us a bit more before actually telling us.  I kind of expect to see a bit more "is he or isn't he?"

I'm afraid you're right. They are a little sadists, after all, ending each season with a cruel cliffhanger...

I'm afraid you're right. They are a little sadists, after all, ending each season with a cruel cliffhanger...

One of the more suspenseful cliffhangers I saw in my life was the infamous "Who shot JR Ewing" from Dallas.  My grandmother loved the show so I watched it along with her & my parents.  I probably saw the re-run of that episode as I was 2 when it originally aired.

That was a really famous cliffhanger -- I didn't even watch the show, and I knew all about it.  And also the one where Bobby came out of the shower.

The arresting scene is an archive footage IMO. What bugs me - why there is no news about M's body? 

If M was found on the roof - it would have make people wonder, wouldn't it? What would happen if police found him as Brook or as Moriarty? 

So maybe the body was removed by the Sherlock team - or he walked away. What we see after the shot is not much different from what we see on the pavement. Blood, open eyes -> dead.

As for condition of M's head - you need to consider what can actually be shown on TV in a BBC show. I suppose in RL shooting yourself in the mouth would make your head looking much worse, there also should be injuries in the face (if even blank can cause serious damage). So I'm not sure if what we see is not strongly limited by BBC policy about gore.

I still consider M surviving the roof showdown quite possible.

What I found somehow disturbing about the Richard Brook fake: as they are at Kitty's, Watson seems to be quite eager to believe in the stuff that is merely several printed pages. I mean - this way I could prove I am the actual Quinn of England. But it might just be my own professional POV. (I work in advertising)

But nonetheless, Jim is damn impressive. For a split second I did myself had a moment of doubt. Even Sherlock is impressed as he gets the idea, his face is like: oh, damn it, this is bloody brilliant, before he falls into rage.

And then - it somehow reminds me of CAM. It's in the press so it has to be true. There IS a parallel. I'm just too tired to make it into words.

• Like 2

Another parallel -- Moriarty uses the jury people's pressure points to force them to plead "Not guilty." He calls 'em pressure points in TRF. So maybe he was influenced by Magnussen, or maybe Magnussen was influenced by him. Maybe Magnussen fancied himself the next Moriarty, since our Moriarty is "dead".

• Like 1

Another parallel -- Moriarty uses the jury people's pressure points to force them to plead "Not guilty." He calls 'em pressure points in TRF. So maybe he was influenced by Magnussen, or maybe Magnussen was influenced by him. Maybe Magnussen fancied himself the next Moriarty, since our Moriarty is "dead".

'Pressure points' reminds me to acupuncture-practice. :p