Whose Death Could You Tolerate....

Late to this but...

Least - Sally Donovan. I don't dislike her, but I don't like her enough to really care one way or the other.

Most upsetting would probably be Mycroft, with Molly running a close second. I just love the relationship between Mycroft and Sherlock. Underneath all if that dysfunction and apparent coldness are two brothers who care for each other a great deal, even if they'd never admit it. I loved Sherlock trying to talk Mycroft into getting some friends.

• Like 5

That's still one of my all time favorite bits in the show. :smile:

Ah, yes, the Mycroft-Sherlock brotherly love-hate dynamic. Also known as the social incompetence Olympics.

SHERLOCK: Some women have short hair, too.
       MYCROFT: Balance of probability.
       SHERLOCK: Not that you’ve ever spoken to a woman with short hair – or, you know, a woman.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Talking about main characters only, the least disturbing for me would be Mary's past catching up with her in the form of death, rendering Dr. Watson a widower, and the most disturbing would be the death of Mycroft, because he needs to be right up there, maintaining sibling rivalry, explaining bits and pieces of their childhood and generally protecting that weird little brother, as he has done throughought the series up to now.

• Like 3

I don't think anybody need worry about Mycroft. Why would Mark Gatiss kill off his own character? No, no, unfortunately (for me), I think Mycroft is perfectly safe.

• Like 3

I've never been concerned for Mycroft.  He doesn't die in canon, right?   I'm still worried for Molly, because she's not a canonical character they really can do anything they want with her.  My only hope with her is how angry the fandom would get.

• Like 1

Repeat after me: They. Can. Not. Kill. Molly. They can't. We wont allow it. Molly is sacred. They're not even permitted to harm her. If anybody lays a finger on Molly, I will turn absolutely monstrous, and I count on Sherlock to go berserk.

• Like 4

Oh, but it'd be horrible if they killed Mrs. Hudson, though, right? Then again, she looks about ready to drop any second now...

Repeat after me: They. Can. Not. Kill. Molly. They can't. We wont allow it. Molly is sacred. They're not even permitted to harm her. If anybody lays a finger on Molly, I will turn absolutely monstrous, and I count on Sherlock to go berserk.

Shhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's just the reaction they're looking for!!! Shoo, go away Moftiss, nothing to see here ... :axe:
  • Like 2

You know, I guess I don't feel as attached to Molly as you do (although I do love her), but I don't see what would be accomplished by killing her off.  And if they want to kill someone and have Sherlock go berserk and the impact to be lasting, they'd get a lot more impact out of making it be Mary (even though I don't want her gone either, not that way).  At least with Mary, they could examine the impact that the loss had on both Sherlock and John.  Molly, although she's friends with all of them, would be a more Sherlock-specific tragedy, and we don't really need something that emphasizes that he doesn't want to get attached to women/people.  We have that point already.

• Like 1

Oh, but it'd be horrible if they killed Mrs. Hudson, though, right? Then again, she looks about ready to drop any second now...

Wait till you're in your seventies, sweetie -- then replay these episodes and notice how vibrant she looks!  :P

• Like 3

You know, I guess I don't feel as attached to Molly as you do (although I do love her), but I don't see what would be accomplished by killing her off.  And if they want to kill someone and have Sherlock go berserk and the impact to be lasting, they'd get a lot more impact out of making it be Mary (even though I don't want her gone either, not that way).  At least with Mary, they could examine the impact that the loss had on both Sherlock and John.  Molly, although she's friends with all of them, would be a more Sherlock-specific tragedy, and we don't really need something that emphasizes that he doesn't want to get attached to women/people.  We have that point already.

You're right, of course. The only reason I can imagine for killing Molly off would be Louise Brealey getting tired of playing the role, and even then, they could make her disappear in many nicer ways.

My biggest problem with Mary dieing is still that I am afraid a lot of people would cheer. And that would sadden me. They can't kill Mary until they've either made everybody love her of turned her into a fully-fledged villain. The latter would be dumb and boring, and the former seems impossible. So in my opinion, they'll have to keep her alive.

There is really no valid reason at all to kill any of the main characters. Of course the show needs corpses, but that's what clients and villains are for.

• Like 3

Hear that, Moftiss? More dead clients!! More corpse villains!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Come to think of it, have there been any dead clients yet?

Episode . . . . . . Client

"Study in Pink" . Lestrade

"Blink Banker" . Sebastian What's-his-name

"Great Game" . Mycroft?

"Scandal"  . . . .  The driver, and Anonymous Person at Buckingham Palace

"Hounds" . . . . . Henry Knight

"Reichenbach"  Various

"Empty Hearse" The geeky Tube guy?

"Sign of Three" .The Guardsman (who came really close), and Tessa

"Last Vow"  . . . . Lady Smallwood, and Mary

Have I omitted any clients -- especially any dead ones?

Can't think of any dead ones, but there's Tessa in TSo3, and Lady Smallwood....

• Like 1

:lol: I think I kind of count the murder victims as clients, because I'm just assuming they would want Sherlock to find the killer if they were still alive to hire him.

But it's true, we haven't had him lose a real client yet. It happened once or twice in the original. Poor Sherlock - I already feel sorry for when that will happen to him. (Yes, I know I should be feeling sorry for the client!)

The murdered ones cannot count as clients unless their families ask him to investigate, like the man in S2 with his aunt's ash. But is there anyone in the forum, who, like me, would have had to cultivate a Job-like patience as an elder sibling NOT to beat up the younger pest daily? One must respect such self-restraint in Mycroft! If I were in his place, there might not have been such an annoying geek, as Dr. Watson says in the Fall, to grow to adulthood!

• Like 1

My biggest problem with Mary dieing is still that I am afraid a lot of people would cheer. And that would sadden me.

Might I ask why that would sadden you? (quickly hides the popcorn behind her back :whistle:) I mean, I don't know how many of you watch Game of Thrones, but when a certain character died last season, it felt like half the internet was cheering and applauding :lol: (even the actor was relieved, iirc). So yeah, I understand real life being precious and every person being valuable and all that, but some fictional chars just have it coming :evil:.

• Like 2

My biggest problem with Mary dieing is still that I am afraid a lot of people would cheer. And that would sadden me.

Might I ask why that would sadden you? (quickly hides the popcorn behind her back :whistle:) I mean, I don't know how many of you watch Game of Thrones, but when a certain character died last season, it felt like half the internet was cheering and applauding :lol: (even the actor was relieved, iirc). So yeah, I understand real life being precious and every person being valuable and all that, but some fictional chars just have it coming :evil:.

I agree with Toby on this one, but that was really funny, Martina! :rofl:

• Like 1

Come to think of it, have there been any dead clients yet?

Episode . . . . . . Client

"Study in Pink" . Lestrade

"Blink Banker" . Sebastian What's-his-name

"Great Game" . Mycroft?

"Scandal"  . . . .  Anonymous Person at Buckingham Palace

"Hounds" . . . . . Henry Knight

"Reichenbach"  Various

"Empty Hearse" The geeky Tube guy?

"Sign of Three" .The Guardsman (who came really close)

"Last Vow"  . . . . Mary

Have I omitted any clients -- especially any dead ones?

Oh, I know, I know! There's the driver from ASiB ... you know, when Sherlock was in his sheet skyping with John. Sherlock said that guy would die soon from a heart condition, or something like that. Ta da! What do I win? :p

• Like 3

See this, Moftiss?  See what you've created?  We're your fandom -- are you happy with yourself now?

• Like 3

Oh, but it'd be horrible if they killed Mrs. Hudson, though, right? Then again, she looks about ready to drop any second now...

Wait till you're in your seventies, sweetie -- then replay these episodes and notice how vibrant she looks! :P

I agree. I see a lot of older people at church every week. Some in their 70's look great. Other's I don't expect to be around that many more years. Even with my own parents, my dad will probably live to 80+ while I'll be lucky to have my mom that long (she's 73).

• Like 1

Oh, I know, I know! There's the driver from ASiB ... you know, when Sherlock was in his sheet skyping with John. Sherlock said that guy would die soon from a heart condition, or something like that. Ta da! What do I win? :P

You win the Only Person to Come up with Additional Clients (So Far) Award!  :applause:  I have added them to the Client Master List.  Thank you!

See this, Moftiss?  See what you've created?  We're your fandom -- are you happy with yourself now?

Yes.  :naughty:  I expect they are.

• Like 3

I would count the girl who owned Bluebell as a client (true to nature, I'm better at remembering a pet's name than their owner's) :D - do I get brownie points now?

• Like 3