William Gillette film found!

softmachine

so apparently, on Twitter so haven't seen confirmed on any news sites yet, they have FOUND a copy of the film version of the William GIlette Holmes!!!!

now, please pease please, get this cleaned up and put on Blu-ray, and in all Regions please!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up!

It's on the Variety website now, so presumably for real.  Yay!

sherlock-holmes-william-gillette.jpg?w=6

A nitrate dupe negative of the film, directed by Arthur Berthelet for Essanay Studios in 1916, was discovered in the vaults of the archive a few weeks ago, and is undergoing digital restoration by a partnership of the Cinémathèque Française and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The restored film will premiere at Toute la Mémoire du Monde, the film restoration festival of the Cinémathèque Française, in January 2015, and will see its U.S. debut at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in May 2015.
  • Like 1

Amazing how much Gillette "looks like Sherlock Holmes," isn't it?  Not really odd, though, since he was so well known as Holmes on stage.  Apparently every actor cast as Holmes since then has (consciously or otherwise) emulated that "look."

I'm guessing it's from 1914. :smile:

Either way, I'm excited! :D

I believe the film was made in 1916, but yes I true lost treasure finally found. Now if only the old radio recordings featuring Gilette could be found.

• 3 months later...

The BBC have released a clip of about two and a half minutes in length the intertitles are in French though so if anyone can translate that would be good.

William Gillette: Five ways he transformed how Sherlock Holmes Looks and talks

I get a "page not found" error.  Could you check your link?  If it works for you, then it's probably because the BBC doesn't like Americans -- though in the past they've at least been helpful enough to say so.

Yes, that link is working fine now.  Interesting audio recording of Gillette (and his Watson).  Very interesting article as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes I was quite excited to read that. The Moriarty den sounds great and so many things there I didn't know ! . I will definitely go to see this if I hear of tickets as I have read so many Sherlock Holmes things referring to it.

Oh, lookee what I found:

The film will be screened with a live band June 19 at St. Augustine College, 1345 W. Argyle St., for $75. The film is also scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in October....

... and it's already listed on Amazon!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, darn -- what a time to be without cable TV!  :comp:

Hi, writingrav -- a slightly-belated welcome to Sherlock Forum :welcome: and congratulations on your first post!

Just in case it is of interest to anyone, I went on a tour that included the outside of Gillette Castle in Connecticut. The guide made it sound like Gillette was quite an eccentric character. In addition to helping create the visuals that went into the Sherlock Holmes cinematic character, he married a woman who died quite young. We were told that rather than remarrying, Gillette had upwards of fifteen cats for company, one of whom he would sit and have dinner with, complete with place setting. Just some random facts!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

so apparently, on Twitter so haven't seen confirmed on any news sites yet, they have FOUND a copy of the film version of the William GIlette Holmes!!!!

now, please pease please, get this cleaned up and put on Blu-ray, and in all Regions please!!!!!

It would seem that your wish has come true.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/343953-sherlock-holmes-1916-blu-ray-review/

Amazon has the Blu-ray now as well (for $5 less, assuming they're both talking about American dollars).

• Like 1