Martin Freeman News

Carol the Dabbler

For those with cable or satellite television (apparently in the US), The Operative is currently available on Cinemax -- and at least one cable provider is currently offering five days of free Cinemax (and HBO).

• 3 months later...

I just watched Martin Freeman doing a 20-minute synopsis of his film/TV career, including brief clips of a few things I had not seen before (such as his new sitcom Breeders).  Nothing earth-shaking, but interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice find! It makes it seem like Sherlock was sooooo long ago, though. *snif* 

Just found that Breeders is available for streaming on Amazon.com (I have no idea whether one can sign up from outside the US, and I don't see the show listed on Amazon.co.uk).  Not sure our internet service is fast enough, but maybe there'll be a DVD eventually.

• 4 months later...

Not really news, but just stumbled across this (and found some of the replies suitably whimsical):

How can Martin Freeman be white if his brother, Morgan Freeman is black?

(The next topic on that subreddit is "Where can I get my turtle circumcised?")

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

OK, some actual news.  Martin Freeman is starring in a new BBC Two comedy-drama called The Responder.  This article [link] amuses me because it tells precisely where in Liverpool they're filming a scene, and when, so that people will know where and when NOT to go, due to Covid.   :huh:

The article also says "Based on [writer Tony Schumacher's] real experiences on the job, Martin Freeman will play an officer on the beat in Liverpool, who is tasked with six night shifts."

So this is what, the third time he's played a cop (counting Hot Fuzz and A Confession)?  No, wait, he also played a cop in a series of skits in Bruiser.  Any more?

• 3 months later...

A new Variety article on The Responder [here] indirectly describes the upcoming show as "gritty" -- bit odd for what that prior article called a comedy-drama -- but it apparently focuses on Freeman's character, a Liverpool policeman, learning to work with the new partner he's been assigned.

The-Responder-2.jpg?resize=681,383

The article mentions global distribution, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.  (Just please don't let the US source be a streaming service!)

On 3/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I just watched Martin Freeman doing a 20-minute synopsis of his film/TV career, including brief clips of a few things I had not seen before (such as his new sitcom Breeders).  Nothing earth-shaking, but interesting.

I miss Hobbity Watson Freeman.

His attempts to be anything else sadly do not interest me.  Apparently Mr. Freeman would like very much to be an even more diminutive English DeNiro, but that really isn't where his gifts lie.  We don't need another Tom Hardy; we need a Bilbo Watson.  Please come back!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hikari said:

Apparently Mr. Freeman would like very much to be an even more diminutive English DeNiro, but that really isn't where his gifts lie.  We don't need another Tom Hardy; we need a Bilbo Watson.  Please come back!

He certainly does seem to be the king of the relatable character.  Even his Lester Nygaard (in Fargo) was relatable to a surprising extent.  I can understand why he wouldn't care to do the same thing all the time (who does?), but yeah, I miss Tim and John and Bilbo.  Seems like some bright screenwriter could come up with a delectable script with a sufficiently quirky relatable character to tempt him back.

• Like 2

Yeah, he was the perfect Bilbo. He was a pretty great Arthur Dent too. But him playing a policeman just doesn't excite me.

27 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

But him playing a policeman just doesn't excite me.

For me it depends on the script.  If he plays a relatable policeman, it could be really good.  I wouldn't particularly care to see him play Joe Friday, though (not that there's a chance in hell of that happening).

Here's the latest project, and Britbox keeps trying to entice me with a free trial to watch it.

An ensemble procedural drama, with MF playing the lead detective in a murder investigation.  While I am drawn to these types of stories, the landscape is absolutely cluttered with them.  MF appears to be channelling John Watson here somewhat, if John had become a policeman instead of an Army surgeon.  For better or worse, John Watson is who I hear whenever he speaks (unless he is doing the Minnesota accent   That's just the way it is.

A Confession is also available on Amazon Prime Video [here] in the US and [here] in the UK (plus each of them provides a link to  Britbox).  Amazon UK also offers it as a Region 2 DVD [here], for those who have a Region 2 or region-free player.  We ordered the latter in September of 2019, and it's an engrossing story.  He sounds like Freeman (in a role) to me, but then I've seen him in a quite a lot of things over the past eight or ten years, so maybe that makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kimber8ada said:

Did I see the actor who played Mike Stamford in Sherlock?

Yup.  And according to IMDb, he's DI Steve Kirby in this.

I assume everyone (or at least those who've seen the Harry Potter films) also noticed Imelda Staunton (Potter's sadistic Dolores Umbridge) as the mother of one of the victims -- quite a different role!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, SherlockandKey said:

certain readers may be surprised to know of her role in 'Nanny McPhee'.

Doubt that I'd be surprised, having already seen Imelda Staunton in two night-and-day roles.  But I've never seen Nanny McPhee -- what sort of role does she play in that?

1 hour ago, SherlockandKey said:

Mrs. Blatherwick, the cook.

Went and looked that up on YouTube.  I'd say Imelda Staunton is in no danger of being typecast!

And good heavens, the comments say that other (rather peculiar looking) person is Emma Thompson?!  Looks like Trelawney has kinda turned the tables on Umbridge!

• 1 year later...

If any of you are Sirius XM subscribers, I just noticed that Martin hosted an episode of "My Fab Four" on the Beatles channel. I've only listened to the first song so far but I assume there's four of them.....

ETA: Holee crud, I just discovered Benedict's on there too, and there's also videos with both of them. I didn't even know Sirius had videos.

I have no idea if this will work, since Sirius is a for-fee service but here's a link to one:

https://player.siriusxm.com/now-playing

If it works and anyone wants it, I will post others.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the info, but the link takes me only to a sign-up page.  I have heard MF doing DJ duty, though, and he's good even when he's filling in for someone at the last minute with no time to prepare.  Lemme see if I can find that -- OK, I think this is what I've listened to.  It's just audio, so I'll put a regular link, here.  That's him and Amanda Abbington filling in for Stephen Merchant, ten years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks for the info, but the link takes me only to a sign-up page.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case, since it's a subscription service. And they seem to have removed it anyway now. 😞 

• 1 year later...

I continue to shake my head at what passes for information these days.  These two items came up when I googled for "Martin Freeman news" recently:

1.  Grace Freeman is apparently dating Beau Bunton-Jones, son of Spice Girls’ Emma Bunton, and this MSN article is touting them as "Hollywood's Next It-Couple."   :huh:   They're teenagers, for heaven's sake!  And neither of them is any sort of performer so far.  Give them a chance to grow up, OK?  (In MSN's defense, at least they're not stalking the kids, they're just quoting from their social-media pages.)

2.  There's yet another "Moffat would do another series of Sherlock if only Freeman and Cumberbatch would come back" patchwork article, this time from a professional news outlet in India.  The only new angle here is this admission at the very end: "Several parts of the text in this article, including the title, were generated with the help of an AI tool."  No kidding!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Only four years late to the party, but I finally watched “A Confession”.  I recently signed up for BritBox.  Solid work by MF as the lead of this gritty procedural drama based on a true-crime case in the UK a decade ago.  MG plays Wiltshire detective superintendent Steve Fulcher whose unorthodox methods in coaxing a confession from a suspect accused of abducting a young woman have long-reaching ramifications for his career and the public perception of police conduct.  

DS Fulcher lost his reputation over the case, and resigned his commission, becoming a security contract advisor in the Middle East. I couldn’t help drawing comparisons between this detective and Dr. Watson. I asked myself whether if John Watson had chosen to become a police detective rather than an army surgeon, would he likely have taken the same course of action which Steve Fulcher did—Pursuing justice even though it meant breaking the letter of the law and putting his own career in jeopardy?  I could only conclude that yes, he would, particularly after having apprenticed with Sherlock Holmes.  

• Like 1