Martin Freeman News

Carol the Dabbler

I forgot about driving miss daisy. That could work. I'm not sure about Red from Shawshank. How would that work as a skit?

Actually, I thought I was saying Morgan Freeman doesn't have range..... :P

(and I must now slap myself for saying that, as Morgan Freeman is brilliant ...... )

I'll have to see how the preview commercials are that week as the host & band are usually in a few and those can be awkwardly funny.

Here's what appears to be a whole bunch of them, conveniently assembled on one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvNQu6JNvKE&feature=player_detailpage

• Like 2

Is it bad that I knew what the last clip was referencing before Martin said what it was (and I don't watch that show)?

• Like 1

Here are a couple more promos for tomorrow night's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGd-7ivmy0M

• Like 2

Saw on the lineup that Martin is supposed to be on Jimmy Fallon (The Tonight Show) tonight...a little less than 3 hours from now for those of us on the east half of the country.

• Like 3

Thanks for that, I'll watch!

You're welcome

• Like 1

Oh, hey, thanks!

It's times like this that I wish Indiana was back in the Central Time Zone, so I could watch Tonight at 10:30 instead of having to stay up another hour.

• Like 1

Hunt down Martin's section on Fallon. The first part is hilarious.

Yeah, they could've made much better use of Martin Freeman's time than that ring-toss game at the end.

Note to West-Coast viewers:  Once the ring-toss segment is over, Freeman is gone for the evening.  The following guest is also interesting, though.

Here's the whole thing, which will hopefully stay put:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-koINXSvSA&feature=player_detailpage

And if that fails, here's a nice chunk, with Freeman talking about NOT being in the Harry Potter films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmXOTDZamI&feature=player_detailpage

And here's another chunk (the antler ring-toss -- not the best part, frankly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UUjD_DYVqLM

Query:  Is that last one working for anyone?

(Warning:  This may actually belong on the Rant Thread.)

Added next day:  Please take the following with a grain of salt.  I was up past my bedtime when I posted it!  So please watch the episode (see links in subsequent posts) when you get a chance, and judge it for yourself.

Aw, Jeez -- that was awful!!!  I knew SNL wasn't what it used to be, but what a waste of talent -- all the actors', but especially Martin Freeman's.  The poor guy comes all the way from London for that?!

I don't know whether to be irritated or grateful that a huge chuck of the nominal 90 minutes consisted of commercials (most of which were far more entertaining than the show).  Judging by the complete-episode videos available on this page (where tonight's episode will presumably be posted soon), it averages about 60 minutes of show, leaving about 1/3 of the time slot for ads.

A few of the skits did have a good premise.  My favorite was the Hobbit / Office crossover, with some pretty inventive character substitutions.  Several of Freeman's other shows and movies were also mentioned, including Fargo and a 1998 episode of Picking Up the Pieces (which I'd be interested in seeing, since Amanda Abbington was one of the regulars).  But nary a hint of Sherlock.  Probably just as well.

• Like 1

I noticed no mention of Sherlock as well, but perhaps it was just that embarrassment of riches.  The Wedding skit  what was that?   It wasn't funny it was just strange.  The Office/Hobbit one was good though I enjoyed that.

The wedding skit appeared to be their attempt to pair Freeman with someone as opposite to him as possible (in which they basically succeeded, I guess, though we weren't told much about the character he was playing), plus a take on what would happen if people actually did speak up when the wedding officiant says do you know any reason why these two should not get married.  Not a bad premise for a skit, really, but the follow-through didn't strike me as particularly funny.

Maybe I just wasn't in a "funny" mood?  I wouldn't mind seeing the Office/Hobbit skit again.

Here's the Hobbit / Office sketch -- not an official NBC post, so could disappear at any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zhCo8EM4E&feature=player_detailpage

The NBC website now has the entire episode (64 minutes).  It'll be available there till the end of February.

Here's the wedding skit (again, subject to possible removal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cbwr37tHu24

After rewatching both of those skits, I think I judged them too harshly last night -- understandable, due to the late hour, but perhaps I should have delayed posting anything till I'd slept on it.  Sorry!  The Office / Hobbit skit really is funny, especially if you're already familiar with both productions, and the wedding skit is kinda cute.  Not sure I'd care to rewatch any of the rest, but at least that's ten or twelve good minutes out of the 64.

Sorry, but I agreed with your first assessment ... a waste of both MF's time and mine. But I didn't expect anything different, SNL has been awful for years. I thought it was actually better than the last time I watched it, which must've been about fifteen years ago.

I did like Martin's bit in one of the skits just because his smile was so infectious.

I agree on Freeman's smile(s), particularly when he perfectly recaptures Tim's benevolently embarrassed smiles from The Office.

That Hobbit / Office sketch seems to have tickled just about everyone.  If the above links don't work for you, you can also find the video on the web sites of Entertainment Weekly, Variety, or Rolling Stone, to name just a few.

It must have hit a sweet spot with a lot of people, it's one of the links on the Bing "hot topics". I smiled at it a few times, but the only actual laugh for me was the very last bit. Like most SNL skits, I thought the premise was better than the jokes. But then, I find very little humor in most TV comedy these days. I'm not sure if that's more of a reflection on me or the shows ....

PS -- I thought the Colbert interview with Smaug was funnier -- but not by much. But the CGI was terrific.

The Hobbit/Office one made me chuckle, it was pretty good. The wedding one... not so much. And that antler ring toss seemed to have been as embarassing to be in as it was to watch.

I also noticed the very deliberate non-mention of Sherlock.  What the heck?  He lists the things he's known for and omits Sherlock?  That had to be intentional but why? 

As to the actual show, it was okay.  I didn't find the Hobbit/Office thing funny but then I was only passingly familiar with both.  I thought the wedding sketch was kind of creepy.

I thought he was really cute on the morning show segment as that handyman they kept showing on camera to the point it became awkward.  Also thought he was cute in the "Sump'n Claus" sketch lol.  He looked really weird as that red=headed saxophonist, a skit I thought was particularly random.  And the lever / assembly line sketch was actually kind of funny.