Carol the Dabbler

Martin Freeman News

What type of show is SNL?

Also it's on late at night, so the humor can get pretty -- gross. I haven't found it funny in years, to be honest, but I'll be watching this one!

It's been ages since I watched it too, and every time I do watch, it seems to have gone down another notch.  But hey, it's still Saturday Night Live, and I'm really excited to see Martin Freeman guest-hosting -- or, as SNL's Twitter announcement called him, Emmy Award winning Martin Freeman.

• Like 1

I'm going my hubby & I don't have to switch weekends with our son so I can think about watching at least part of it. Will have to see how the preview commercials are that week as the host & band are usually in a few and those can be awkwardly funny.

Oh, right -- I don't watch much TV, so I hope that any ads with Freeman in them wind up on YouTube.

In a possibly related story, Martin Freeman is said to be "in talks" to join a new Paramount black comedy Taliban Shuffle, which is being produced by Saturday Night Live creator and executive producer Lorne Michaels and is to star SNL alumna Tina Fey.

Freeman would play the role of a Scottish photojournalist, the love interest of Fey's character, a fellow journalist in Kabul.

Can anyone explain this quote from the article?

The Sherlock star will soon be seen making a very funny cameo playing himself in BBC2 comedy Brian Pern: A Life In Rock.

In the first episode of the show, which follows an earlier BBC4 series based on the character, Freeman plays a younger version of Pern in Stowe Boys – a West End rock musical about the band with a director played by Kathy Burke.

So is he playing himself, or is he playing "a younger version of Pern"?  All I can say is, this photo doesn't look much like "Martin Freeman as himself":

62486.jpg

It's been ages since I watched it too, and every time I do watch, it seems to have gone down another notch.  But hey, it's still Saturday Night Live, and I'm really excited to see Martin Freeman guest-hosting -- or, as SNL's Twitter announcement called him, Emmy Award winning Martin Freeman.

They show here in Australia, but I'm sorry I've never really found it that funny, perhaps in a time long long ago it used to be.  But of course I will be watching for Martin.  

Can anyone explain this quote from the article?

The Sherlock star will soon be seen making a very funny cameo playing himself in BBC2 comedy Brian Pern: A Life In Rock.

In the first episode of the show, which follows an earlier BBC4 series based on the character, Freeman plays a younger version of Pern in Stowe Boys – a West End rock musical about the band with a director played by Kathy Burke.

So is he playing himself, or is he playing "a younger version of Pern"?  All I can say is, this photo doesn't look much like "Martin Freeman as himself":

62486.jpg

I read it twice, and I have to confess: I don't understand a word of any of it. :blink:

• Like 2

They show here in Australia, but I'm sorry I've never really found it that funny, perhaps in a time long long ago it used to be.  But of course I will be watching for Martin.

I'm glad you'll be able to see it on December 13th (or whenever they run that episode in Australia).

It depends on your sense of humor, of course, but it was generally considered very "hip" and funny by the younger set back in the late 70's, when they had talents like Gilda Radner, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, and Bill Murray.

I read it twice, and I have to confess: I don't understand a word of any of it. :blink:

Maybe it helps if you're already familiar with the show -- has anyone seen it? (What's happened to all of our British members?)

So I found out last night I will now be having my son on the 13th. Trying to figure out how to watch at least part of SNL with him around and my sister having full rights to her TV in her room.

Do you have a DVR?

I don't as much as it would be useful about now.

What time does SNL start in your area?  And when is your son's bedtime?

10:30p with an 11p bedtime and he sleeps in the living room currently because of issues with my sister's bed.

Oh, dear!  So maybe you could catch Martin Freeman's opening monolog while your son brushes his teeth?

I'm thinking something along those lines. Maybe see if my sister will let me use her tv for a few to see that bit.

• Like 1

Oh, rats -- I missed Martin Freeman on Late Night yesterday and on the Today Show this morning.  I had wondered about that a few days ago -- obviously he's in New York all week to rehearse for his guest spot on Saturday Night Live, and obviously NBC would want to plug that as often as possible, but then I forgot to check (my feeble excuse being that we had house guests from Japan).  But fortunately there's the internet!

Here he is on Late Night (in two segments), discussing several of his past roles in addition to The Hobbit -- and there are obviously quite a number of highly appreciative people in the studio audience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UokC3XjhfdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UbYwWZUD4&feature=player_detailpage

And here's a link to the Today Show segment.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to it.  Its funny I hadn't watched SNL in years, but happened to watch it last week because my son was watching.  A title came on at the end saying next week's host is Martin Freeman...for some reason in my tired 1:00am mind I read it as Morgan Freeman.  Now I like Morgan Freeman, but I wouldn't tune in particularly for him.  My son made a comment about it would be cool if they did a Sherlock parody sketch and then it clicked...Oh MARTIN Freeman lol.  I am glad he said that or I would have blanked right out on it...well...until I found this post here...!  :)

• Like 1

Since Battle of Five Armies is coming out just a few days later, I'm reasonably certain that Martin Freeman's SNL appearance was arranged by whoever's doing publicity for the movie.  In which case there's bound to be a Hobbit sketch, minimum.  I would also love to see a Sherlock sketch and a Fargo sketch.

I've been wondering whether Amanda Abbington is in New York with him, in which case she might be a surprise guest on the show.

And now I'm picturing a future episode of SNL with both Morgan Freeman and Martin Freeman -- where each of them thinks he's supposed to be the host.  They could do some mix-up jokes, like having Morgan F. in a hobbit sketch.  And I've seen Morgan in only a few things, but there must be some of his roles that would be equally ludicrous for Martin

• Like 1

I can only name to live action roles, a cartoon & a documentary for Morgan & I've seen his work longer, but I can name more live action roles for Martin. None of Morgan's roles that I can think of would be too odd for Martin.

Also I do remember a few years ago they had a somewhat star-studded line up when 1 of the hosts had either become the person who hosted the most times or tied for it. So anything is possible with a Martin/Morgan mash-up

How about Martin as the wise old black sergeant in Glory? Or maybe as the wise old black driver from Driving Miss Daisy? Or maybe the wise old black convict from Shawshank.... :tongue:

• Like 1

Hey, you saying Martin Freeman doesn't have range?!