Carol the Dabbler

Martin Freeman News

According to Radio Times, Martin Freeman's six-part miniseries A Confession will air "later this year" on ITV.  This presumably means that it will not be broadcast on any of the usual US venues for British programming (which seem to air mostly BBC material), though I suppose a deal might be worked out with some other channel.  I'm just hoping there'll be a DVD, because the show sounds really good.  It's about a police officer (played by Freeman) who goes against regulations to put a serial killer behind bars for life, at the expense of his own career.

Speaking of DVDs, I've (finally) posted my (not particularly spoilery) review of Cargo over on the Cargo thread.

Added:  And here's a review of The Dumb Waiter, the stage play that Freeman is currently in (for only another day or two), just in case anyone can make it to London in time.  (Note:  Freeman and Danny Dyer also co-starred in the 2007 movie The All Together, about which the less said the better.)

Freeman's spy flick The Operative (in which he plays said operative's handler) premiered a couple of weeks ago at the Berlin International Film Festival.  Here's coverage of a press conference, with interesting quotes from both Freeman and his co-star, Diane Kruger.

Still no release dates for anywhere else.

Has anybody seen Ghost Stories?

• Thanks 2

I haven't seen anything, anywhere, and am about to, in fact, cancel my cable subscription. The only channels I watch anymore are the ones I can get for free with an antenna, so I figure why waste the bucks. So yeah, I hope everything's released on DVD too.

Martin Freeman will be the captain of one team in a Red-Nose Day version of University Challenge (portrayed in Starter for 10, it's the British version of College Bowl), which will air TOMORROW (Friday March 15th) at 10 pm on BBC2, for those of you who can pull that in.  I don't recognize any of the other team members' names, but you can find the full list and more details here.   Sounds fun and interesting -- if anyone happens to find this on YouTube, please post a link in this thread!

Ode to Joy will be the very first film shown at this year's RiverRun film festival in Winston-Salem North Carolina, also coming right up on April 4th; more details (including ticket info) here.

Freeman's sitcom Breeders will, like Fargo, be shown in (I assume) the US on FX.  Info here.  It's also being co-produced by Avalon TV and Sky.  According to IMDb, it's still in post-production at the moment, so it'll presumably be a while before it airs anywhere.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:17 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Martin Freeman will be the captain of one team in a Red-Nose Day version of University Challenge (portrayed in Starter for 10, it's the British version of College Bowl), which will air TOMORROW (Friday March 15th) at 10 pm on BBC2 [....]  Sounds fun and interesting -- if anyone happens to find this on YouTube, please post a link in this thread!

Yes, Ma'am!

Unfortunately, this video doesn't seem to include the very end of the competition (and the teams were very close at last accounting).  Does anyone happen to know who won?

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Freeman's spy flick The Operative (in which he plays said operative's handler) premiered a couple of weeks ago at the Berlin International Film Festival.  Here's coverage of a press conference, with interesting quotes from both Freeman and his co-star, Diane Kruger.

Still no release dates for anywhere else.

That seems about to change:

The Operative is heading for U.S. movie screens after Vertical Entertainment acquired North American rights to the spy thriller toplined by Diane Kruger, Martin Freeman and Cas Anvar. A third-quarter 2019 release is being eyed for the pic....

Has it really been six months since we had an updated list of Martin Freeman's works-in-progress?  (Though there's not much new to say, I'm afraid.)

The Operative (spy movie):  IMDb lists a French release date of 17 July 2019, but nothing further.  I wonder if that might be another film festival?

Breeders (comedy series):  IMDb still lists it as in post-production.

Ode to Joy (comedy movie):  Has been shown at a film festival, but still no general release date.

A Confession (6-episode police drama series):  Now in post-production, announced for this year (on British ITV).

A Christmas Carol ("a radical retelling," animation):  IMDb still lists it as in post-production (though the page hasn't been updated since last October).

I'm seeing a number of oddities on IMDb.  For example, on some of the above productions, MF is listed only in "Full Cast" (i.e., not in the part that shows on the production's main page), below people playing such characters as "guard" and "receptionist," even though he's clearly one of the main players.  And as noted, some of the pages haven't been updated for a long time (though that could pf course be because nothing new has been announced).  I do realize that IMDb is user-maintained, but I seem to recall it working better in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to this site, Martin Freeman has recently been signed to play the producer in a dramatic film about the behind-the-scenes politics that finally got the 1938 radio play The War of the Worlds on the air.  Another site announced the director last year, but I've found no other internet buzz about the project.  Odd.