Carol the Dabbler

Martin Freeman News

You would definitely need to be familiar with both The Office and The Hobbit to fully appreciate the sketch.  Otherwise it would be just -- silly?

I'm thinking that avoiding any mention of Sherlock must have been intentional, perhaps because Freeman did not want them messing with it.  I've heard that he is opposed to doing any sort of Sherlock crossover, even for charity.

There is a certain sacred-ness to Sherlock (not just the BBC show but the whole of everything related to the character) that it commands a certain amount of respect automatically. So I can understand why Martin would avoid Sherlock anything that is outside of what he does for the show.

• Like 1

I watched a bit of each video... and I can safely conclude that it would have been better if they just did a True Facts of Truth thingy with Martin Freeman.

If you haven't seen any True Facts of Truth yet, here're some pretty funny ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuG00uR_dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iGXgFQt_7k

I watched a bit of each video... and I can safely conclude that it would have been better if they just did a True Facts of Truth thingy with Martin Freeman.

That would indeed have been funnier than some of those skits -- but then Jimmy Fallon would have sued Saturday Night Live for stealing his idea.

And I think the Hobbit / Office skit was way funnier than that -- if you've seen the originals.

Oh. Right.

I keep getting my reality shows mixed up, this is what I get for watching nothing but Netflix since 2009...

• Like 1

I also noticed the very deliberate non-mention of Sherlock.  What the heck?  He lists the things he's known for and omits Sherlock?  That had to be intentional but why?

I noticed that too and had the same reaction!

There is a certain sacred-ness to Sherlock (not just the BBC show but the whole of everything related to the character) that it commands a certain amount of respect automatically. So I can understand why Martin would avoid Sherlock anything that is outside of what he does for the show.

Maybe Freeman was concerned that if he mentioned Sherlock at all, the SNL writers might feel they had carte blanche to ridicule it.  Just as well to avoid opening that can of worms, I suppose.

For those in the US with cable/satellite, Nativity starry Martin will be on UPtv (formerly the Gospel Music Channel/GMC) on Sunday night at 7pm E/6C.

• Like 1

We just watched that (on DVD) the other night.  It's a really cute (but not cutesy) and funny movie, with Freeman playing a teacher in a Catholic grade school who is assigned to direct that year's nativity play.

Just found a "deleted scene" from Freeman's SNL episode  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CtfPwoOYbuk

(Apparently scenes are cut if the show runs too long in dress rehearsal -- but they've taped the dress rehearsal, so the video is available.)

Apparently SNL is rerunning Freeman's episode already -- as in, right now.  Less than half an hour of it left if you live in the Eastern or Central time zone, but you folks further west can catch the whole thing.

I just discovered that SNL has posted an official video of the skit "The Office: Middle Earth" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bg8NS6s0fkw

(For anyone who's not quite sure what this is all about, it's a parody of the BBC documentary-style sitcom The Office crossed with the Jackson Hobbit movies -- naturally starring Martin Freeman as a post-Adventure Bilbo, who seems to seems to bear a strong resemblance to Tim.)

With news being a bit scarce around the holidays, I was glad to see an interview with Amanda Abbington which included this quote:

"We’ve made a promise now to limit our time apart. Martin is in Lithuania for a month and that’s doable, but next year he’s filming The Taliban Shuffle with Tina Fey for several months in New Mexico and New York. So the kids and I will be going with him for at least part of the time. Yes, of course as actors we love to work, but we love each other and our family so much more."

I'm glad to hear that (even though it's none of my business), but I'm also glad to hear that The Taliban Shuffle is apparently using New Mexico in lieu of the real Middle East.  The reference to Lithuania puzzled me till I found this article which reveals that Vilnius is doubling for Jerusalem in The Eichman Show (which airs late this month on the BBC) -- again, just as glad that Freeman will not be filming in the real Middle East.

• Like 2

The safest country in the Middle East near the core of the problem is Jordan followed by the Arabian peninsula.  The family of my favorite musician goes on the road with him if he will be gone for more than a week.  They had 2 stints out with him this fall and will have more in the next few days.  So I'm glad to hear that Amanda and the kids will be able to spend at least some time with him while he works (agreed with the none of my business part).

Coulda sworn that this had already been posted somewhere, but Martin Freeman is up for a Golden Globe Award (Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television) for his role in Fargo.  You can read the full list of nominations (including several more for Fargo) here.  The winners will be announced this coming Sunday, January 11.

• Like 2

Ben and Martin both in LA this weekend for the GG.  Is Martin up for anything with the CC?

^

|

|

|

You're doing the face again.

• Like 1

Nope, no Critics Choice nominations this year (though he had two last year, for television).

A reminder that the Golden Globes will be awarded this coming Sunday, though the exact time seems uncertain:

The Golden Globe site (which also has a complete list of nominees) says:  The 72nd Annual Golden Globe® Awards, hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, will air on Sunday, January 11, 2015, LIVE coast-to-coast on NBC from 5:00-8:00 p.m. (PST)/8:00-11:00 p.m. (EST).

Time has it a little different:  Hosted for a third time by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the Golden Globes telecast on NBC begins at 6 p.m. EST with red carpet coverage, followed by the awards ceremony at 8 p.m. E! begins its arrivals coverage at 4 p.m.

While on the the Golden Globe site, I found a video interview with Martin Freeman, describing what it's like to play several of his characters, including Bilbo Baggins, John Watson, and of course his Golden-Globe nominated Lester Nygaard from Fargo.  (Sorry, not an embeddable video, but that link will take you to it.)

• Like 1

NBC was advertising it at starting at 7pm E/6C for Sunday night and I just checked with Charter's online channel guide and they confirm that same time.

Apparently the discrepancy is due to NBC showing several pre-GG specials in addition to the main event.  The Indianapolis NBC outlet lists something called "1st Look, Hollywood's Biggest Party" (which I would guess is related) at 5 pm, followed by "Talk Stoop Goes Hollywood" ("in-depth interviews" with nominees) at 5:30.  Then there's an hour of news (local and national), followed by "NBC Specials" at 7 pm and "NBC Specials: Golden Globe Awards" at 8 pm.  I suspect that the last two are actually the same thing, just listed separately because of the way their online schedule is set up.

So it looks like an hour of preliminaries at 5:00 Eastern, followed by an hour of news, followed by the main event from 7:00 to 11:00 Eastern.

Not to distract anyone from watching the Golden Globes on Sunday -- but just found this reminder of yet another opportunity to watch Martin Freeman (tweeted by, I believe, the director of said opportunity):

Lords and ladies and TV viewers. Look at this @bbc2 its on Tuesday 20th Jan at 9pm. #theeichmannshow RT and watch x

B61c1ysIMAEErmX.jpg

Hoping this makes its way to other countries very, very soon!

• Like 1

While on the the Golden Globe site, I found a video interview with Martin Freeman, describing what it's like to play several of his characters, including Bilbo Baggins, John Watson, and of course his Golden-Globe nominated Lester Nygaard from Fargo.  (Sorry, not an embeddable video, but that link will take you to it.)

A pity that interview was so abbreviated, I liked it.

Agreed! It also ended a bit abruptly but that may have been my phone playing it inaccurately. Hope he does well at the awards.

Also, thank you for posting about the Eichmann show - we get BBC 2 here and I will definitely watch!