Martin Freeman News

Carol the Dabbler

Who knows?  PBS doesn't seem to be involved at all.  BBC America has been posting a lot of articles about the show, and could conceivably be planning to air it here on the 27th, same as in the UK (you can find out by checking their weekly schedule page on or after the 21st), or they might show it at some later date -- for those of you with cable / satellite service.  The rest of us can keep hoping for a DVD.

Irrelevant question:  What is BBC America's rationale for running Star Trek: The Next Generation:huh:

That's what I want to know!

We don't get BBC America anymore -- and I barely watched when we did -- because 99% of the time it was either Star Trek or Top Gear. What the... ?

Who knows? PBS doesn't seem to be involved at all. BBC America has been posting a lot of articles about the show, and could conceivably be planning to air it here on the 27th, same as in the UK (you can find out by checking their weekly schedule page on or after the 21st), or they might show it at some later date -- for those of you with cable / satellite service. The rest of us can keep hoping for a DVD.

Irrelevant question: What is BBC America's rationale for running Star Trek: The Next Generation? :huh:

That's what I want to know!

We don't get BBC America anymore -- and I barely watched when we did -- because 99% of the time it was either Star Trek or Top Gear. What the... ?

Maybe because Patrick Stewart is from the UK? That's my best guess. All of the other captains are from the States from what I recall.

• Like 1

I believe you're right, Patrick Stewart is British.  But on the other hand, his character Captain Picard is French.  And William Shatner is from Canada -- but Captain Kirk is from Iowa.  I can't offhand say where the other actors and captains are from.

• Like 1

Nice longish interview with Martin Freeman about the Eichmann show, acting, and Sherlock fans & their behaviour: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/martin-freeman-interview-the-actor-on-hobbits-cumbermania-and-his-nazihounding-role-in-the-eichmann-show-9983829.html

• Like 1

On Wednesday, a technician will come and modify my satellite dish so that I can watch British television programmes. And when will the Eichmann Show air? Tuesday, of course <_<

• Like 1

Nice longish interview with Martin Freeman about the Eichmann show, acting, and Sherlock fans & their behaviour: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/martin-freeman-interview-the-actor-on-hobbits-cumbermania-and-his-nazihounding-role-in-the-eichmann-show-9983829.html

Thanks!  That one's well worth reading -- Freeman makes some excellent points on a number of topics -- so I will quote only this small bit:

Immediately after completing the five-week shoot on Sherlock, he's off to New Mexico, standing in for Afghanistan, to film The Taliban Shuffle. It's an adaptation of a lightly comedic memoir by an American war correspondent, and also stars Tina Fey.

They started filming the Sherlock Special on January 5th -- so they'll presumably finish sometime the week of February 2nd (which reportedly includes some filming in Bath).  But then no rest for the weary Mr. Freeman!

I'm curious about the very nice portrait of him that was with the article, apparently drawn by one Kate Copeland.  You don't often see original art in newspapers nowadays.

FreemanPortraitByKateCopeland_zps3edd481

• Like 1

Well, supposedly BC is getting married before the Oscars, and since Feb. 14 is a Saturday, I'm wondering if he's going to have a Valentines Day wedding.  

Just adding that in as there will be time to do it after Sherlock wraps, according to the article.

Can anyone explain this quote from the article?

The Sherlock star will soon be seen making a very funny cameo playing himself in BBC2 comedy Brian Pern: A Life In Rock.

In the first episode of the show, which follows an earlier BBC4 series based on the character, Freeman plays a younger version of Pern in Stowe Boys – a West End rock musical about the band with a director played by Kathy Burke.

So is he playing himself, or is he playing "a younger version of Pern"?  All I can say is, this photo doesn't look much like "Martin Freeman as himself":

62486.jpg

Just in case anyone's still holding their breath -- his IMDb page lists Freeman's character as "Young Brian Pern."

• Like 1

I found a Youtube video with Martin Freeman as Brian Pern. It's... genuinly weird, but also quite funny. I hope this works, I really don't understand how to paste links in these forums, lol!

• Like 2

Oh god it's embedded. If that doesn't work for some, go to Youtube and search for Martin Freeman Brian Pern and you should be able to find it (unless BBC content is unavailable overseas?).

Edited to add - This article explains how it works: http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/11/martin-freeman-2/. Martin Freeman does play himself, himself being the actor Martin Freeman who is asked to play the role of 'young Brian Pern'. Ok, not sure that helped in the explaining department-- the article does a much better job.

Anyway. Looking forward to the (much more serious) Eichmann show tonight!

• Like 1

You're right -- that article does make sense now -- he's playing himself playing Brian Pern.

I assume the BBC biopic he mentioned was a fake?  (Can anyone tell us what those two names were?)  Presumably that was his Richard III beard.

Wow. Did anyone else see the Eichmann Show? I thought it was quiet, unspectacular, and incredibly well done. A great example of solid acting and very good use of the trial footage although the holocaust material will haunt me for some nights to come.

To end on an extremely superficial but positive note, mr. Freeman looked really good in this :D

• Like 1

That was tonight?  I thought it was next Tuesday.  I still haven't found it on the BBC America schedule, even though their website has been publicizing it, and says it will air (on the BBC? on BBC America?) on the 27th.

But we don't get BBC American in any case, so still hoping for a DVD.

It was on BBC Two UK last night, I guess they are a bit ahead? I hope they'll release it on DVD, would be a waste if this was just one of those hard to catch things that airs irregularly.

• Like 2

No, I think I was behind.  I'd been thinking that it was scheduled for last night -- but then the BBC America website said the 27th (next Tuesday) even though it wasn't listed on their schedule -- so I assumed I'd been mistaken (which was a mistake!).  D'you suppose BBC America might be planning to preempt an episode or two of Star Trek: The Next Generation to make room for an actual BBC programme?

• Like 1

Much as I love Next Generation, I can imagine you would prefer to see something actually British on the BBC! Lord knows they have plenty of material. Did you get Broadchurch, and do you have Downton Abby in the US? I also love Who do you think you are, where famous people investigate their heritage. There's a very touching one with Martin Freeman, to keep on topic.

I'm lucky the Netherlands is so tiny and produces so few quality shows. We receive both the actual BBC and usually get a subtitled version of their shows a few months later. I have a major soft spot for anything UK and Scottish in particular. I did miss that weird Brian Pern thing though!

I've seen the "Who Do You Think You Are" with Martin Freeman.  Very interesting.  Also nice is that you get a glimpse of the house he lives in.  Amanda and the kids are no where to be seen (but they don't ever like their kids on camera), but you do get to see glimpses of the interior as well including his vast record collection.  He's quite the music aficionado.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ3rpoOnnTE

• Like 1

I watched that as well. It was done well and I actually figured out the army medical letters stood for on 1 of the documents for his grandfather (I think it was) before it was revealed in the episode. I think knowing that Dr. Watson served in the army as a medical person helped.

Much as I love Next Generation, I can imagine you would prefer to see something actually British on the BBC! Lord knows they have plenty of material. Did you get Broadchurch, and do you have Downton Abby in the US? I also love Who do you think you are, where famous people investigate their heritage. There's a very touching one with Martin Freeman, to keep on topic.

Downton Abbey (like Sherlock) is shown on PBS here.  But Broadchurch apparently is shown on BBC America (when they can spare the time from ST:TNG).

Seriously, considering all the backlog of classic BBC programs they could be showing on BBC America, to say nothing of the current crop, why are they running episodes of one particular classic American program as often as eight times a day?

Has anyone mentioned yet how weird it is that Milton Fruchtman is being played by Martin Freeman?  Wonder if the name similarity may have been why they originally thought of him for the role -- like, ha-ha, wouldn't it be funny if....?

No surprise, I'm not the only one who noticed (according to this article):

Milton Fruchtman. His name is an almost exact Jewish version of my name. I am his Gentile cousin.

• Like 2

Most interesting article. Makes me want to see that's movie all the more.

Me too. I'll probably have forgotten all about it by the time it makes it to these shores, though. :(