Martin Freeman News

Carol the Dabbler

27 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

What is BC supposed to have said? Missed that part.

Benedict's response is quoted herein.  But Martin says he was misquoted.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/benedict-cumberbatch-slams-pathetic-martin-freeman-comment.html

I much prefer my FreeBatch like this:

Hm, I don't know, I take the 'it's pretty pathetic' with a very hefty pinch of salt, BC is a bit too polished at playing the game for that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Hm, I don't know, I take the 'it's pretty pathetic' with a very hefty pinch of salt, BC is a bit too polished at playing the game for that kind of thing. 

It does seem a bit out of character, but perhaps they were both having off days when they made their respective remarks.  The quote containing 'pretty pathetic' was reported verbatim across multiple outlets.  I pasted the first one that came up in a Google search but numerous publications printed the same remarks as they are set down here.  Of course it could just be a game of Chinese whispers, with a lot of salt flying in the air, but the interview was originally printed in the Daily Telegraph, which is probably a more reliable news outlet than Vulture.com.

Misquoting (accidentally-on purpose) as a way of boosting circulation and Internet clicks certainly does go on, shamelessly, and has been since pre-Jack-the-Ripper.  We see Martin Freeman now engaged in clarifying his statement of earlier in which he felt misquoted.  This should feel very familiar to Ben, who stirred up some controversy back in 2012 with remarks that seemed to slam his friend and Frankenstein co-star Jonny Lee Miller for appearing in a rival Sherlock program, where they would once again be compared head-to-head for their concurrent interpretations of the same character.  BC said he was hurt and upset over being misquoted in the Hollywood Reporter as saying that JLM had taken the role strictly for money and it wasn't a classy move.  Let us hope that this comes to mind during Martin's current media fracas and FreeBatch are back to hugging it up again soon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/benedict-cumberbatch-jonny-lee-miller-elementary-sherlock-366932

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Delivered in that bracing Freeman style!

British blokes seem to have a love affair with the word c*** as an all-purpose put-down phrase, especially for members of their own gender (which, not possessing anatomical c**** makes the insult all the more  . . I was going to say 'juicy' but, let's not--whoops, just did) . . The epithet can even be applied to oneself, either connoting a bottomless pit of low self-esteem or else a cheeky self-deprecating joke (Steve Coogan did an entire song-and-dance number entitled "I'm a C***!" in the film "The Trip"--which was excised from the finished movie but shows up on the bonus features.  Clearly, the word c*** used so many times in rapid succession made the American censors a tad uncomfortable, though they play Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy films non-stop so not sure why "I'm a C***! would have been so objectionable.  Besides, tons of Americans might have agreed with Steve Coogan calling himself a c***.  Over here, we don't realize that it can almost be a term of endearment as well as a most vile insult.  If a bloke tells his best mate "You c***.", depending on circumstances it could be practically be like, "I love you, man".  Maybe?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

No one has ever used c*** as a term of endearment towards me. Go figure.

As for Coogan being a c***, I would have thought wanker would have been more apt. Or maybe knob.

Usage of 'c***' as epithet seems to be mostly M-t-F here, as one would expect.  C*** being extra-strength for b****.  I can't say as I have ever heard it exchanged between two guys outside of a British setting.  American men *do* routinely call each other a 'p***y'  . . which, despite the anatomical similarity, has a different meaning.  A 'p***y' is a weakling, lacking in courage, a girly-man.  Where a British man might call someone a c***, American men are most likely to use the ubiquitous 'A**hole' . . .or, if really perturbed, "M*th*erf***er!"

I'd best exit the stage now, because the moderators have probably had enough.  But it's all in the name of international communication, innit?

Btw, I may have used to think that Steve Coogan was a c**t, but owing to some very impressive later acting work, I no longer think so.  He impressed me very much in Philomena, and even in The Trip films, exhibits a first-rate brain, and if I say so, superior impressions to Rob Brydon's.  Given the choice of which of them to be trapped with for hours on end in a small car, I'd pick Steve hands down, and I wouldn't say that if I still thought he was a c**t.  As far as Brydon is concerned though, that position is wide open.

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

Delivered in that bracing Freeman style!

British blokes seem to have a love affair with the word c*** as an all-purpose put-down phrase, especially for members of their own gender (which, not possessing anatomical c**** makes the insult all the more  . . I was going to say 'juicy' but, let's not--whoops, just did) . . The epithet can even be applied to oneself, either connoting a bottomless pit of low self-esteem or else a cheeky self-deprecating joke (Steve Coogan did an entire song-and-dance number entitled "I'm a C***!" in the film "The Trip"--which was excised from the finished movie but shows up on the bonus features.  Clearly, the word c*** used so many times in rapid succession made the American censors a tad uncomfortable, though they play Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy films non-stop so not sure why "I'm a C***! would have been so objectionable.  Besides, tons of Americans might have agreed with Steve Coogan calling himself a c***.  Over here, we don't realize that it can almost be a term of endearment as well as a most vile insult.  If a bloke tells his best mate "You c***.", depending on circumstances it could be practically be like, "I love you, man".  Maybe?

It’s the most divisive of swear words. I know a few woman who have a, shall we say, fruity vocabulary but  avoid using the ‘c’ word. Her Maj tends to avoid it in polite conversation😃 For many cockneys the word is almost unavoidable although you never hear it on Only Fools And Horses😃

10 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

It’s the most divisive of swear words. I know a few woman who have a, shall we say, fruity vocabulary but  avoid using the ‘c’ word. Her Maj tends to avoid it in polite conversation😃 For many cockneys the word is almost unavoidable although you never hear it on Only Fools And Horses😃

It's the most divisive of insults here, too.  Really, it's the absolute worst thing you can say to a woman--it's the napalm of insults.  It's the femme version of the N word . . really, you do not use that word unless you want to completely torch any prospect of having her speak to you again.  It's that bad.  Which is why it's like a slap in the eye every time I see it dropped so casually by Martin.  I don't think he can get through an interview, no matter how brief, without using it.  I used to think it was an affectation, but I think it's just deep in his core.

Now, if Bendi said it, that would be affectation.  If BC dropped that word, one imagines that he would immediately feel compelled to apologize a million times.  With Martin, it's like a challenge.  That man has a significant chip on both shoulders, methinks, but they balance him out. 

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
to remove overly personal remarks

Okay, peeps, slight OT diversion . .

Informal poll:  Who's got the better Michael Caine impression?  Coogan or Brydon? (Warning: language)

22 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

They cleaned up most of the sweary bits on OFAH, i.e. Rodney was called a plonker, usually several times an episode.

Aren't we to expect a new series of Alan Partridge shortly?

It doesn't bother me, can't say I particularly want to be called it but I wouldn't find it any more or less offensive than being called anything else. 

Cargo has popped up on Netflix, but they seem to be keeping it quiet and not pushing it, which makes me think it's likely not very good and they know it. I'll give it a watch when I get a chance. 

I've never watched Alan Partridge. Only Fools and Horses still makes me laugh though, I think that batman scene is still my favourite. And the whole Damien thing. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

It doesn't bother me, can't say I particularly want to be called it but I wouldn't find it any more or less offensive than being called anything else. 

Cargo has popped up on Netflix, but they seem to be keeping it quiet and not pushing it, which makes me think it's likely not very good and they know it. I'll give it a watch when I get a chance. 

I've never watched Alan Partridge. Only Fools and Horses still makes me laugh though, I think that batman scene is still my favourite. And the whole Damien thing. 

Only Fools and Horses is one of those series I rewatch every few years. It's a bit dated at times, but then so am I.

I still swear that's Lyndhurst singing the opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Freeman's new movie Cargo is now available (only) on Netflix.  There's a new MF in Cargo thread for unrestricted discussion of the movie.  Beware: there will be spoilers in that thread.  If you prefer to avoid spoilers but want to talk about the movie, share your opinion of it, speculate on what happens, or whatever, we can continue to do so on this thread. But please take your spoilers to the other thread.

Definition of "spoiler":  Revelation of anything that actually happens in the movie that was not shown in the trailers or mentioned in pre-release interviews.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Martin is in a 'history of the NHS' program coming up on BBC. I won't be watching but thought I'd mention is in case anyone else is interested and catches it somewhere.

• Thanks 1

It's not very clear what it is, there's a lot of talking to camera, but it says he plays a cardiologist... it looks a bit like a stage play. Here's the trailer. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06bjxbn?ns_campaign=bbc_wales&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=wales&ns_source=twitter

and some info

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8161190/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/to-provide-all-people

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Pseud.  That first link works only with a BBC app (which I doubt they'd let me download even if I wanted to), and IMDb doesn't have much yet, other than the long list of actors and the hospital employees that they portray.  But that third article explains that the show uses poetry and interviews to tell "... the story of a single day in the NHS, from dusk to dawn, with a single hospital at its heart."  Dunno if that's modern-day or 70 years ago when the NHS was founded.  In any case, I suspect that the "interviews" are actually dramatizations.

Dunno how this got by us -- MF is apparently filming a spy movie in Israel as we speak.  It's called The Operative.

They aren't set as interviews though, it's really weird. They are literally like 'to audience' pieces in a play. 

Weird it says about an app, it's just on the website. Were you trying on your phone or laptop?

On my phone with Chrome.

Just came across an interesting conversation about The Operative on Reddit:  "Is he being typecast as a secret agent now?"  :giggle:

Two movies does not equate to being typecast, methinks. Or three. Whatever. Not when you've done as many projects as he has.

My favorite bit was the exchange with the person who didn't know what "spook" meant. :D Annnnnd, I see we're back to not being able to type in emoties…..

:) :blink: :cowdance: 

and :sm no longer brings up the emoji popup menu..... 

I suspect that person #2 was a bit older than person #1, and was thinking of a somewhat *different* meaning for "spook."

Also, I'm pretty sure the original "typecast" commenter was half joking.  Though MF does seem to be getting a lot of that type of role lately.  Come to think of it, he'd better be at least a little bit careful!