Convict13

Mark Gatiss News

Not that we're needy, or anything..... :p

• Like 1

I just finished part 1....

Some of his voices are hysterical.

There seem to be no other parts on YouTube. But you know now if you want to buy the book. Or the audio version. :P

• Like 1

One of the comments said something about Google Plus -- which I assume is a paid-subscription service.

Interesting that one of the comments mention google plus as that is Google's social media site. Where as Chromecast is their subscription service similar to Netflix.

I think I just have a serious MG phase. :wub:

Not news, but a lovely picture from The Crimson Petal and The White

59AF9A.jpg

I'm with ya, JP.  My X-Files/Sherlock page now also has a rather healthy dose of Mark Gatiss on it....

Redbeard.

I think we're seeing something like "revolution" that Mr. Gatiss is talking about, only for movie-theater prices here in the US.  A few years back, the prices had rather suddenly risen above ten dollars (nowhere near the 90 pounds he's talking about, of course, but a totally different market), and people must have stopped going, because the theater prices have dropped back down.

Nowadays theaters are hardly the only game in town, what with DVDs and Blu-rays.  So they need to remain competitive with the other media, or in a few more years they'll be struggling like the magazines and newspapers.

I think we're seeing something like "revolution" that Mr. Gatiss is talking about, only for movie-theater prices here in the US.  A few years back, the prices had rather suddenly risen above ten dollars (nowhere near the 90 pounds he's talking about, of course, but a totally different market), and people must have stopped going, because the theater prices have dropped back down.

Nowadays theaters are hardly the only game in town, what with DVDs and Blu-rays.  So they need to remain competitive with the other media, or in a few more years they'll be struggling like the magazines and newspapers.

Wow, not where I live; still $13-$16 for a "prime time" showing, not much less than that for a matinee. And yes, that is the primary reason I have stopped going to movies. Even if it weren't a strain on my budget, most movies just aren't worth that much.

I just checked a random theater complex in Indianapolis, and for non-3D Jurassic World (which I take to be a relatively "big" movie), they're charging $8.99 in the evening ($7.49 for seniors) and $5.29 at matinees (no discounts available).  The matinee price is even lower than last time I noticed.

I avoid all movie theaters but Movie Tavern if at all possible now, so I'm not sure what the average going rate is elsewhere, but Movie Tavern rates are $9.00 matinee, $10.50 for an regular adult ticket at night.  Seniors, military, and students are $9.50 at night, $9.00 for children.   I'm pretty certain the AMC and Regal theaters near us are more than Movie Tavern, which is insane given the better seating and food at Movie Tavern.  You also can pre-select your seats if you buy online at Movie Tavern (addtl. charge of $1.50 a seat).

Presumably, Movie Tavern can charge less for movie tickets because they're actually making most of their profit off the food and (especially) drinks.  I've heard that even regular movie theaters generally make a good bit of their profit at the snack bar.

I just checked a random theater complex in Indianapolis, and for non-3D Jurassic World (which I take to be a relatively "big" movie), they're charging $8.99 in the evening ($7.49 for seniors) and $5.29 at matinees (no discounts available).  The matinee price is even lower than last time I noticed.

Wow. I'm stunned. Just shows you how much higher the cost of living is in some areas, I guess. $12.50 for the same movie in the DC 'burbs, $10 for seniors. And that's summer rates, it's more the rest of the year. :(

From what I've seen during our visits, everything costs more in the DC area.

• Like 1

Either that, or you just haven't seen Ben much lately.... wait until his next project blitzes the media and then see how indifferent you've become!!! :D

From the interview:

People have this extraordinary idea that I’m some sort of Renaissance man. They will say, “I always thought you’d play the piano”, but I can’t play a single musical instrument. I don’t speak any foreign languages. I can’t drive. I can’t cook. I can only do two things: act and write.

Hehe, he's so impressive as Mycroft that people start to identify him with the character.

But it is a bit comforting that he is NOT a renaissanse man, and that I can do things he can't. It humanizes him :D

BTW, his German bits sounded quite convincing.

• Like 1

Mark is really delightful.  Come fangirl with me J.P..  :)   Off to read that article now...

• Like 1

I know this was mentioned at the start of the thread, but the History of Horror (3 parts) is on YouTube...  I intend to watch.  :)