Convict13

Mark Gatiss News

The show has plenty of references to the source material and earlier Dracula movies. Also little nods to other shows Mark was doing. And one to Sherlock. I bet for horror fans it's like a candy shop.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, 

I watched Dracula with the same reservations that I had when I first watched Sherlock and like Sherlock I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really well done though maybe they could have rolled back some of the humour (or am I just being grumpy?)

One thing hit me straight away though.

Claes Bang = James Bond.

I think he’s made for the role. I was never a massive fan of Daniel Craig I’ll admit but I think that Bang could be just the man to play the role with that slightly sinister hint of Connery but with the humour and style of Roger Moore.

The trouble now is that however they chose to take over from Craig I’m gonna be thinking “nah, should have been Bang.”

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year?👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So what’s the current betting about the possibility of Sherlock news this year now that Dracula is done and dusted?

I don't know what Mark and Steven have got coming up on the work front.

But I am fairy certain both Benedict and Martin will remain busy.

It would have been nice to have had some kind of announcement around the 10 years anniversary...but of course Dracula took over and I understand that.

I would love some kind of announcement, to be honest, even to say 'definitely no more'- because it would kind of be nice to know...after all, they never did really tell us they were stopping! 

But in reality, I suspect the situation remains the same.

Certainly in public nobody is(daring!) to say: Sherlock is done.

But I just can't see them ever getting everybody together again.

The grasping at straws part of me, would even have taken a Dracula and(Victorian) Sherlock crossover...

I would certainly be happy with the odd special.

Ultimately I don't know if we'll ever see any new BBC Sherlock and I have not yet found anything to replace that addiction!

• Like 2

Hah, Agatha and her "detective friend"! :D

Actually, it's a closed case for me. I'm so fed up with this topic, also due to people demanding it by any (appropriate or not) opportunity they get. When I imagine that many of them just want their ship to finally come true, I think the case better should remain closed for a while now.

I was always perfectly happy with the show Mark and Steven gave us...

this after all was what I wanted to see, not some screening of a fan fiction!

Yes, I too was continually p-d off by some fan attitudes.

I think Mark and Steven were a bit hurt ,too...

But I just wish they'd prepared us for the end, it did rather feel like a bereavement!

• Like 2

I agree … it's easier to move on if you know for sure that something's over and done with. Limbo is never an easy place to be. 

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I agree … it's easier to move on if you know for sure that something's over and done with. Limbo is never an easy place to be. 

Quite true -- though I'm still expecting more Sherlock eventually, meaning whenever Moftiss is bit by the bug again.  As I've said before, I'm pretty sure that the "Cumberbatch and Freeman are too busy" thing is mostly an excuse for Moftiss's current enthusiasm for something else and/or current lack of any good story ideas.  When/if Moftiss is keen on doing more Sherlock, I strongly suspect that Hartswood will immediately contact the two leads, find out when they're next available at the same time, and sign them up.

As professional actors, both Benedict and Martin will consider any decent script...

that's if Mark and Steven want and are able to provide...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, besleybean said:

It would have been nice to have had some kind of announcement around the 10 years anniversary...

Has it really been that long already?  Wow...

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe it's weird, but I don't think I felt left in limbo about "Sherlock".  The end of season 4 really felt like the end to me.  I'm not saying there's no chance it'll come back, but mentally, as far as I'm concerned, the show is over.

I kind of agree...I just want them to say so!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, besleybean said:

I kind of agree...I just want them to say so!

Precisely. But they won't.

Personally, I hope they don't feel pressured into making a definite statement any time soon.  They don't seem to be ready to do more Sherlock just yet, so the answer at this point would probably be "no," and they might be inclined to believe it.  Whereas if they can air out for a while longer, do a variety of other things, I suspect they'll eventually get back into a Sherlock mood, perhaps because an irresistible plot idea occurs to them.

It might be a while yet, though.  Haven't they always talked about the appeal of doing more episodes when Cumberbatch and Freeman are older, more the age of traditional Holmes and Watson portrayers?  Let's see:

Rathbone was between 47 and 54,
... and Bruce was between 44 and 51.

Brett was between 51 and 61,
... Burke was about 50,
... and Hardwicke was between 53 and 62.

So, average Holmes age is 53 and average Watson age is 52; both roles were played until an average age of 56 or 57.  Cumberbatch is currently 43 and Freeman is currently 48.  Maybe in five or ten years?

Age has never been a problem...

except for maybe the oldies like Tim, Wanda and Una...

I just think it's too many other exciting projects for everyone- which is a good thing.

And Ben might be too expensive now.

“Last night at the PGA awards, Mendes told me 1917 was ACTUALLY shot in one continuous take – if an actor flubbed a line they’d go all the way back and start again from the beginning,” Johnson said. “They paid Cumberbatch to show up every day and wait in that room at the end. He was there six months. They paid him $23m.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/1917-benedict-cumberbatch-scene-salary-rian-johnson-sam-mendes-knives-out-twitter-a9292481.html

PS: the "one shot" thing might be a misunderstanding, because it's technically impossible. But it's another story.

Yep, very interested in the filming technique...

but the money issue is a whole other thing...

just a little more than Martin got for 3 films of The Hobbit, I believe.

7 hours ago, J.P. said:

And Ben might be too expensive now.

PS: the "one shot" thing might be a misunderstanding, because it's technically impossible. But it's another story.

It was a "joke". https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/1917-benedict-cumberbatch-scene-salary-rian-johnson-sam-mendes-knives-out-twitter-a9292481.html

• Thanks 1

Oh dear, I hope not.

9 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Excerpt:

Frank Renfield is seen sitting in his car completing a cryptic crossword. He reads aloud the following clue:

‘Unscrupulous doctor deployed tanner’s knife (12)’

The solution to the clue is Frankenstein (‘unscrupulous doctor’ is the definition and ‘deployed’ is the anagram indicator for tanner’s knife, which rearranged, makes the name Frankenstein)

If that was meant as an Easter egg, it's a pretty damn cryptic one!  (And that sort of clue is why, although I love challenging crossword puzzles, I skip right over the cryptics.)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, besleybean said:

Why not?

Frankenstein is a fab story.

It's okay, I guess, but never one of my favorites. I don't like the horror genre in general, I guess. If forced to watch it, though, Frankenstein is probably the one I'd choose. If forced. :-)