The "Hijacked Thread" Thread

Ooooh Kay.  Not quite my cuppa.  I prefer my calculators simple -- just not quite as simple as the usual four-function ones.

Lemme see.  I'd like a wide, flat solar-powered calculator with large numerals in the display.  And a reliable memory function.  And an inversion function.  And square root.  I never use % (I simply divide), so never mind that.  Surely somebody makes one of those.  I'm just too lazy to go hunting for it.  (Plus if I got one, then what would I bitch about?)

In that case, you might really be best off with one of the basic-design calculator apps like these - I have yet to see a calculator which a] has only the bare minimum of operations and b] still has a good memory option and/or dual line display with a toggle wheel. Not saying it doesn't exist out there somewhere, though. :smile:

A calculator app would be useful at times, but if I'm doing some heavy calculating, I prefer a physical device.  (I'm also into books and lead pencils.  What can I say?)

Hmmm ...

LcCzdgw.jpg

It's wide and flat, doesn't even need solar power, and unless one of your cats joins in, the memory is reliable. ;)

• Like 3

Hey, that's real close!  It also has an inversion function (just turn it upside-down).  And I can manage without an actual square root function by doing successive approximations.  Thanks!

• Like 2

I never learned how to use an abacus.  I wouldn't mind a good graphing calculator that didn't take 2 different types of batteries (1 for power & 1 for memory).  Maybe have it powered like a smartphone with USB option.

Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious here, but how about the TI Nspire? That one is charged via (mini)USB, just like a smartphone.

May have to look that up later when I'm on my computer. I haven't followed calculators since I was in high school and needed a TI-82.

Speaking of needing a calculator for school, I ran across one on Amazon that was being sold as something like "student cheating calculator.". :huh: I assumed this was a type that schools would require in order to help *prevent* cheating -- but no, it's got lots and lots of memory, so the kid can store all necessary graphs, formulas, names, dates, etc. :O

• 3 months later...

That's what it's here for. (At least in part :) )

Hijacking the thread again to announce that I'm watching an old episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun for only one reason and one reason only. ;)

• Like 1

I'm watching an old episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun for only one reason and one reason only. ;)

Namely? (Love that show, by the way!)

Namely? (Love that show, by the way!)

The episode is called "Dick and Harry Fall Into a Hole," and Alan Cumming was a guest star in said episode, so how could I not?

Ah! Indeed.

I'll have to get my DVD out one of these days and watch that one. Then I'll have some idea who Alan Cumming is.

• Like 1

Ah! Indeed.

I'll have to get my DVD out one of these days and watch that one. Then I'll have some idea who Alan Cumming is.

He plays Angus "The Hole" MacDuff in that episode. He was really young there too - would you believe he was only 31? (He's 51 now so yeah.)

...gah, I just love him.

• 3 months later...

I managed to catch up on the forum for a few minutes at least.  Beats having 40+ unread threads because of new posts.

• Like 1