The "Hijacked Thread" Thread

Yes, I agree it would be nice to have a pure SHERLOCK themed event.  Of course all Sherlockians would be welcome, but an event geared only around BBC's SHERLOCK would be super fantastic, especially for those of us who aren't exactly versed in all the other versions or the ACD canon.

Plus if they could ever have a REAL Q&A where people could ask those unanswered questions about episodes, that would be lovely.  Some real sit down time to get an intimate insider's perspective on it.  

Of course a Q&A would be only as helpful as the people doing the Q&A-ing, especially the A-ing, and getting any "official" people would cost real money.  So you've already racheted this up to a Real Con, not just a casual fan get-together.

I'm fairly certain that will be either a British or European event, however, so for those of us in the USA, we're a bit out of luck unless we're up for travel. 

I'm fairly certain that will be either a British or European event, however, so for those of us in the USA, we're a bit out of luck unless we're up for travel. 

I think originally their plan was to do one in Britain and one in the USA., but I'm sure if push comes to shove they'll move forward with a British and maybe scratch the USA one.

This was the original event page:  http://www.massiveevents.co.uk/sherlocked/

Yes.  We have a thread for the "Sherlocked" convention, but unfortunately there's been very little news since the postponement was announced in August.  According to a few subsequent posts on their twitter (I think it was) account, they're having the same trouble getting everyone together that the actual show is having.

This thread is very useful! I can take things I picked up on in other threads here without cluttering those original threads with off-topic matter. So:

I always thought Sherlock Holmes retiring and keeping bees was the dumbest idea in fiction since turning the Beast back into a prince.

I've never seen the entire Disney animation, but I've seen enough clips from it to agree with you 100%! The Beast was wonderful -- no wonder she fell in love with him! If you're talking about the original story, though, I suppose it all depends on how you're imagining the beast and how you're imagining the prince. Of course they're the same person, so it boils down to one's taste in appearances. If either of them looked like the Jackson's version of the goblin king, I'd opt for the other, sight unseen!

:lol: You're always so reasonable, aren't you, Carol?

I wasn't brought up on Disney, so my ideas about fairy tales are all based on the books we had at home and in Kindergarten. The first illustrations for Beauty and the Beast I saw had the Beast look like a cross between a boar, a bull and a lion. I loved him! He was... cute. In a way. A lot more cute in the eyes of a four-year-old little girl than some blond hunk of a prince, believe me! Besides, wasn't the whole point of the story that she loved him the way he was? In that case, wouldn't it be a horrible disappointment to her to when he transformed back to his old self? Of course now as a grown-up, I understand the story better and bla bla bla, but when it comes to fairy tales, I think I am eternally a child and have a child's reactions and opinions. I also always thought Sleeping Beauty must have gotten the shock of her life to wake up with a strange man beside her bed who had just kissed her, and that Snow While must have really missed the dwarfs when she went to live in a big castle with her prince.

In summary, the prince part of most stories never really got through to little me. Except for Cinderella, probably because the Cinderella prince in my book looked really kind and sweet and I wanted to dance with him myself...

• Like 2

Also, Cinderella had chosen the prince just as much as he had chosen her.  The other two seemed to have very little say in the matter.

So now as a grown-up, just how do you understand the story better?  (I still agree with you as a child.)

Also, Cinderella had chosen the prince just as much as he had chosen her.  The other two seemed to have very little say in the matter.

So now as a grown-up, just how do you understand the story better?  (I still agree with you as a child.)

Well, it's not a folk tale, is it. It was written by some French author sometime in the 17th (or was it 16th?) century. So I guess it was meant to be a metaphor or something. Something about if you love someone hard enough, he becomes a prince in your eyes no matter what he really looks like. Whatever. I still agree with myself as a child too, and so I daydream about that old tale more than a grown woman probably should and write my own versions time and time again, which always end with the beast being happy as a beast because he is loved as a beast and realizing his former self was an idiot and not worth bringing back to life, any way. Too bad I'm such a shitty writer. I could publish a whole collection of "alternative fairy tales". Not that the film industry isn't doing that anyway...

• Like 2

Well there's Politically Correct Bedtime Stories but I doubt that that's what you meant :lol:. Also, there's the ending of, hmm, I think it was Shrek #2 but I could be wrong about the number. Where Fiona makes a point of letting that potion expire and getting her ogre husband back and not the princely version.

• Like 1

I could listen to "Irene's Theme" on loop for a very, very long time.

So could I. I also like this little piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50hcK015Ok

• Like 3

Well there's Politically Correct Bedtime Stories but I doubt that that's what you meant :lol:. Also, there's the ending of, hmm, I think it was Shrek #2 but I could be wrong about the number. Where Fiona makes a point of letting that potion expire and getting her ogre husband back and not the princely version.

That reminds me of a Father Goose Nursery Rhyme book I discovered when my son was little.  It was designed to not be offensive as Mother Goose would have been considered.  The only problem is that it had bit commentaries from the author after many of the rhymes that were very offensive (eg In Jack Sprat the author mentioned that eating so much fat was not healthy.  My thought was 'you' don't know what a person's medical condition is that may warrant such a crazy diet).  

Same here as well as the Waltz for John and Mary which I wish was a little longer by a minute or more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that there are two schools of British thought -- TIF (tea in first) and MIF (milk in first), with both convinced that they're correct.  It presumably depends, much like religion, on how you were brought up.

We Americans avoid the entire issue by not using milk in our tea at all.

What? No milk in your (black) tea? You're missing something, I can tell you...

I don't really care what goes in the mug first, but if I'm poring myself, I like to do tea first and then watch the milk form those lovely clouds in it. It just looks so pretty, and etiquette be damned.

• Like 3

Yeah, that's one thing ... however I take it, let me do it myself, thank you very much. I really don't care for it when other people try to doctor my tea or coffee for me!

Oh, I don't know... A co-worker made me a cup of coffee today and brought it to my desk, and I was very grateful. It is really odd what is happening at work: All my life, men have never acknowledged that I am female, save my now-husband. That was fine. I know I'm not attractive, and as long as I'm treated with respect as a human being, it's no big deal if I don't get those little gender-specific attentions I see other women receiving.

But ever since last summer, my male colleagues have started to suddenly cater to the lady in me. I've had doors held open for me, I've been treated to coffee, and one fellow has taken to driving me home if we're both on a late shift so that I don't have to walk the streets alone in the middle of the night. It is very odd. I am known to be happily married. I don't flirt with anybody (I wouldn't know how). My looks are the same as always. Strange. I'll never understand men. But oh well, I'm not complaining! It's lovely! Do carry on, boys...

• Like 3

Her theme was one of the first things I ever downloaded on ITunes.  Since then ITunes and I have become well acquainted.  

• Like 1

... ever since last summer, my male colleagues have started to suddenly cater to the lady in me. I've had doors held open for me, I've been treated to coffee, and one fellow has taken to driving me home if we're both on a late shift so that I don't have to walk the streets alone in the middle of the night. It is very odd. I am known to be happily married. I don't flirt with anybody (I wouldn't know how). My looks are the same as always. Strange. I'll never understand men. But oh well, I'm not complaining! It's lovely! Do carry on, boys...

Last summer -- wasn't that right about the time you completed your degree?  So maybe now you're less stressed (in some ways) and more self-confident?  That sort of inner modification can make a subtle-but-significant difference on the outside.

Oh, I don't know... A co-worker made me a cup of coffee today and brought it to my desk, and I was very grateful. It is really odd what is happening at work: All my life, men have never acknowledged that I am female, save my now-husband. That was fine. I know I'm not attractive, and as long as I'm treated with respect as a human being, it's no big deal if I don't get those little gender-specific attentions I see other women receiving.

But ever since last summer, my male colleagues have started to suddenly cater to the lady in me. I've had doors held open for me, I've been treated to coffee, and one fellow has taken to driving me home if we're both on a late shift so that I don't have to walk the streets alone in the middle of the night. It is very odd. I am known to be happily married. I don't flirt with anybody (I wouldn't know how). My looks are the same as always. Strange. I'll never understand men. But oh well, I'm not complaining! It's lovely! Do carry on, boys...

You're married now. That's a seal of approval for some folks (male and female variations exist) in my experience. As in, "That person is apparently attractive/likeable/sane enough that someone put a ring on them." Yeah, I don't quite get it either but I've heard that reasoning quite a few times.

Last summer -- wasn't that right about the time you completed your degree?  So maybe now you're less stressed (in some ways) and more self-confident?  That sort of inner modification can make a subtle-but-significant difference on the outside.

Nope, I left uni earlier than that. Have been a "real" grown-up for more than a year now...

I suspect the work situation has something to do with maturing, both in me and my surroundings. Also, I'm at the moment part of a really good team, thank anybody who is responsible for that. A lot of the guys being nice to me are lazy as sin, but the also have nerves of steel and are really helpful in crisis situations. So I guess we appreciate each other - I like having their broad shoulders and calm voices behind my back, and they like that I take care of the daily toil and trouble and do the boring work they can't be arsed to care about.

• Like 1

You really can't underestimate the side effects of being "part of the team."  That's the part of having a job that I miss the most, now that I'm retired (well, that plus the thrill of doing a really bang-up job on a project).

Watching the SAG Awards and a commercial for a show called Perception came on. It was called the smartest crime show. My response was "Sherlock is the smartest crime show. We just have to wait 11 months for the next episode."

• Like 2