The "Hijacked Thread" Thread

The Close is a tv show that I might have seen an advert for once or twice (or more) possibly in BBCs twitter feed otherwise on 1 of the few occasions where I turn on the TV at my parents.

• Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Since the Political Thread is currently busy discussing Martin Freeman's haircut (and far be it from me to interfere with that ;) ) I'm hijacking this thread. 

P3UjZpa.jpg

Considering all that's going on right now, he might have a point there. :unsure: 

• 2 months later...

... and a Happy New Year!

By the way, I like your cover photo  :sherlock:  did you add it recently?

• Thanks 1

Yes, indeed -- a very happy New Year to everyone east of the Atlantic!   :cheers:

I contracted a stomach flu the day after Christmas, so I kinda missed New Year's Eve.  And then I had to work early in the morning on New Year's Day, which was not much fun at all.  Blah.

• Sad 3

If it helps any … you didn't miss anything. Most overrated holiday on the calendar, imo. :smile: 

31 minutes ago, J.P. said:

I hardly know what weekday it is… scratch-head.gif

Er … it's the weekend, dear. :P  35o46Bs.gif

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

I hardly know what weekday it is… 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

it's the weekend

That's a bit of a fine point, though.  @J.P. when an American says weekday, they mean as opposed to the weekend -- for example, Thursday is a weekday but Saturday is not.  An American expressing the same idea you did would say "I hardly know what day of the week it is."  I have no idea what British (or other) usage might be.

British usage may (or may not) be the same as American in this case, but they're different just often enough to trip the unwary.

Like if I said my boss was wearing just pants and a vest, I think most Americans would picture him in two parts of a three-piece suit (plus of course shirt, tie, shoes, etc.).  If a British person said that in the UK, however, people would think he was wearing only his underwear!  I believe that in order to express what I meant they'd say trousers and a waistcoat.

You don't generally need to worry about that sort of thing, though.  Most people in either country are aware that there are differences and will make a good-faith effort to understand.  That doesn't necessarily stop us from making jokes, though!

Won't stop me, that's for sure. :P 

See, here's a joke right here!

Helium walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve noble gases here." Helium doesn't react.

• Haha 2
  • Tongue 2

Okay.

The electrons were having a party, when without warning a bunch of protons came and attacked them.

Just as suddenly, a hero arrived and saved the electrons. Amazed and grateful, the electrons cried, "Thank you, thank you! But who are you ??"

The hero replied:

"Bond. Covalent Bond."

(Hey, don't blame me, I don't write this stuff, I just steal it off the internet.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...