Sign in to follow this  
sfmpco

Frankenstein coming out on DVD Nov. 2015

Just heard this on Twitter.  The timing will be great, actually, in anticipation of the Sherlock Christmas special. Will help build more hype.

• Like 1

Like both castings?

WHAT!?!?! Now they tell me! I could've used the money I spent on the movie ticket to buy the DVD!!!!

jk, I'm cool with it. Heading to the theater in a couple hours, in fact.

• Like 1

sfmpco -- was it tweeted by reliable sources?

Arcadia -- if the news is true, you'll be able to compare the movie-theater experience with the at-home experience.

• Like 1

Given the size of my TV screen, I already know which one I'll like better!

• Like 1

That is actually great to hear. My friend and I did go to see both versions this week, and loved them both. it was so interesting to see each actor's choices as to how to play the roles. But to have it at home- wonderful! Both versions were great- they were so different, it was not like watching the same thing over again. 

That is actually great to hear. My friend and I did go to see both versions this week, and loved them both. it was so interesting to see each actor's choices as to how to play the roles. But to have it at home- wonderful! Both versions were great- they were so different, it was not like watching the same thing over again. 

How do you feel they portrayed the characters differently? 

OK, I finally found what seems to be the original Tweet, from cumberbeauty-booty, here:

OMG you guys, so Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch is coming out on DVD November 2015!

... with a followup here:

just was told by friend of producer

The attendant responses imply that this is confirmed (but do not say by whom) and that the DVD will (presumably) include both versions.

• Like 2

Hello,

(in reply to sittything's post) I will try to explain what I saw. The first night we saw Benedict as the Creature and Jonny as Victor. Ben has said that he studied stroke victims and people who were trying to overcome injuries sustained in car accidents, to try and inform his choices in playing the Creature. That was very apparent. As he began to acquire more control over his limbs and body, even his speech; it was as if I was watching someone work at mastering a body that they SHOULD have known better than this one which was not cooperating. There was a huge effort made to REGAIN the use of body and, eventually, speech. Even when he had been working with DeLacey and was as educated as he became in that segment, his speech remained garbled. I watched closely and somehow Benedict managed to keep half of his face slack, as if still paralyzed- so his speech never became truly crisp.

Jonny as Victor was more clinical in his early dealings with the Creature. While he was "pleased" that he was alive, he seemed to be able to dismiss him fairly easily and to be more surprised that the Creature was able to find him and that he had become more human. He seemed to treat the demand for a mate as a condition to get rid of the problem, and not so much as another experiment to improve on his earlier one. He also seemed to be a bit more interested in trying to one day earn the affection of Elizabeth- although not by much.

The second evening we saw Jonny as the Creature and Benedict as Victor. Jonny's Creature was, as he had also said, influenced heavily by his observations of his own son, who a the time was about two years old. As his version was learning to use his body, it was completely different than watching the previous interpretation. Here, we were seeing a being who was learning to use his body for the first time, with time spent in experiencing everything- for example, putting his toes in his mouth as a baby would do. The process was very different, but resulted in a similar outcome. By the same token, Jonny's speech became more  clear when he had competed his lessons with DeLacey. While the accented syllables were still off-kilter, he

was more easily understood at first hearing. Once acquired, his speech was clearer.

Benedict as Victor had more fire in his doctor. His was a more zealous enjoyment of his creation, even though he also abandoned it. When he was presented wit the demand for a mate, he immediately began planning grander results for THIS new creation. He seemed entirely indifferent to Elizabeth, even when he said what was expected of him to honor convention. It was more evident that he had no idea about love, and frankly, had very little use for it.

I hope I have conveyed a little of what I felt. It was defintiely worth seeing both versions, and not at all like seeing one play, twice.

~joan

• Like 5

Thanks for your review, Joan.  I hope this production (in both versions) does indeed become available on DVD.

Thanks, Bekah, for the review!  :)

I agree,  I saw both version a couple of years ago and although the seem familiar they have enough about them to be different.  I liked Ben as the Doctor best, so I am so looking forward to be finally able to see it again, I know it was on recently at the movies again buy none of my friends was really interested in seeing it, perhaps I need new friends?   <_<

• Like 2