Quiz - How Well Do You Remember the Deductions

Arcadia

I got 10 out of 10 so it can't be THAT hard, but here's a quiz to see how well you remember some of Sherlock's deductions.

http://www.hypable.com/2014/11/24/sherlock-quiz-how-well-do-you-remember-the-deductions/

I got 10 out of 10 as well. I also noticed the site had another feature quiz on Benedict & how well do you know his body. I managed 8 out of 8 in that one. Is it sad that I found the Benedict quiz slightly easier. I almost missed 2 of the deductions. I had to really rack my brain on remembering the episodes.

Yay -- I got 10 out of 10 too!  (Though I will admit to guessing a bit on the "public school" one.)

Then I noticed the "Cumberbatch's body" quiz that CAMPer mentioned, and am appalled that I got 8 out of 8.

• Like 1

I got 10 out of 10 too!  Oh okay, actually I only got 6 out of 10.  Clearly I will have to schedule a Sherlock marathon to get back up to snuff.  *hangs head in shame*

• Like 1

I got 9 out of 10, I missed the public school one.

The really bad news, however, is that I have no idea who

The Equerry

could be? Who is he?

This guy, right here. From Scandal.

MztcWi2.png

• Like 3

Thanks, Arcadia!

Only... umm, I still don't really get it. Why is that guy called

equerry? I doubt all 3 dictionaries I checked are wrong, so from what I understand an equerry should be the guy who is in charge of the stables of some place. I know Sherlock deduced that this guy was a horserider, but where do we learn he is an equerry? I know him as "Harry". And if he is the equerry of Buckingham Palace, why would he be the one to talk with Sherlock about Irene's photos? I'm sure there would be other guys more engaged with people (rather than horses) who would be better qualified to deal with such a delicate matter?

It's possible the role may have changed even though the title hasn't.

• Like 2

I got 8 out of 10... but that's because I haven't watched Sherlock in quite a bit. Don't worry -- Thanksgiving break's this week, so I'll be able to watch at least five or six of them. :P

Thanks, Arcadia!

Only... umm, I still don't really get it. Why is that guy called

equerry? I doubt all 3 dictionaries I checked are wrong, so from what I understand an equerry should be the guy who is in charge of the stables of some place. I know Sherlock deduced that this guy was a horserider, but where do we learn he is an equerry? I know him as "Harry". And if he is the equerry of Buckingham Palace, why would he be the one to talk with Sherlock about Irene's photos? I'm sure there would be other guys more engaged with people (rather than horses) who would be better qualified to deal with such a delicate matter?

CAMPer's on the right track!

The implication in ASiB is that he is the Queen's personal assistant. Beyond that, I didn't actually know either (I think I saw the name "Equerry" in Ariana DeVere's transcript?), but found this very handy description right here....

• Like 2

I got 8 out of 10... but that's because I haven't watched Sherlock in quite a bit. .....

Yeah, yeah, tell us another one... :P

I've started watching them again too, must have something to do with the approaching school break..............

The implication in ASiB is that he is the Queen's personal assistant. Beyond that, I didn't actually know either (I think I saw the name "Equerry" in Ariana DeVere's transcript?), but found this very handy description right here....

Aaah, that explains it! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

I think we'd all have had an easier time with that one if they'd used a different deduction from the same scene, namely --

Half Welsh

Wow, not me, I would've guessed the doorman in TEH or something!

I'm wondering if some people are being thrown off by the term "public school?" I had a friend who was a rabid Anglophile when I was younger, and she pounded this into my head: in Britain, a "public school" is what we Americans would call a "private school." Which is what tipped me off to the right answer! I don't think I actually, ahem, "remembered" the deduction so much as I made one of my own.... :lol:

• Like 1

I think we'd all have had an easier time with that one if they'd used a different deduction from the same scene, namely --

Half Welsh

I don't even remember this one being there... 

• Like 1

Yeah, me too, Arcadia -- it just seemed to fit that character better than any of the other options.

Jana -- I guess I remembered that other deduction simply because it seemed to odd that even Sherlock could could figure out something like that.

• Like 1

Yay -- I got 10 out of 10 too!  (Though I will admit to guessing a bit on the "public school" one.)

Then I noticed the "Cumberbatch's body" quiz that CAMPer mentioned, and am appalled that I got 8 out of 8.

I got 8 of 8 too....   :embarrassed: 

Join the club. I got 8 out of 8.

I swear, officer, I don't know this man! How could I be stalking him?! I was just guessing on all of these questions!

• Like 3

Yeah, that's the really weird thing.  I really felt like I was guessing on most of the questions -- like, "well, it's obviously not that one, and if I have to pick one, then I suppose this one looks the least unlike him of the other three."  I was practically throwing darts.

Maybe they're ALL him?  (Well, except for the ones that clearly aren't.)  So there are no wrong answers?

• Like 1

Some of the pics were obviously not him even though the pose is something he has done either as Sherlock or as part of a photo shoot. There also were some obvious not him give aways as hair color or skin tint was off.

• Like 1

Just ran a little experiment and took the same quiz trying my best to get the wrong answers ... and I still got 6 out of 8. Proving .... well, I don't know what it proves except that I've got poor time managment skills.

• Like 3

All in the interest of gathering data, of course, in order to confirm or disprove my hypothesis.  Thank you!

Following your lead, I re-took the "body" quiz myself, choosing #1 for each question, and scored 6 of 8.  Choosing #2 for each, I scored 7 of 8.  With #3, I got 7 of 8 again.  And by choosing #4 on each question, I got 6 of 8.

Several possibilities:

1.  The scoring mechanism is totally wonky.

2.  The scoring assumes we're doing the quiz only once, so we're confusing its cookies.

3.  There are two or three correct choices for each category.

• Like 4